TheDebateMagnet
hamo94

Are video games helpful?

Started: 10/11/2014 Category: Games

TheDebateMagnet

Pro

They help not harm. I played videogames whenever I could since I was "4" years old. They help in many, many different ways. In a way, you could think of video games in sort of like an interactive movie. Played them all my life, look at me now, I went to the 6th best high school in the USA, straight A's, a crap load of friends, and happy as can be. It helps people socially, mentally, physically, and makes them overall, better people. I would be very happy to explain this thoroughly to anyone who opposes.
hamo94

Con

Given the Pro has not clearly stated what the BoP is, I will be defining what the BoP is, under a reasonable definition to make this an unbiased debate:

BoP- that the helpfulness of video games outweigh the potential implications from playing video games

Given that another interpretation of the topic is that video games can be helpful, it would create a rather heavily weighted debate (by stressing out one benefit you inherently win the debate).

Firstly, some rebuttal:
' I played videogames whenever I could since I was "4" years old.'
'look at me now, I went to the 6th best high school in the USA'

It is fair to assume that in any debate, the stakeholders are not limited to yourself, but rather, a much more significant population. So in this debate, we are not just talking about Pro themselves, but instead, anyone who opts to play video games. Personal references are rarely relevant in these cases, especially when we link it to our current case, because what works out for you won't necessarily work out for another person. While you can succeed while playing video games, another student can become addicted to video games, ruining their academic career.

Video games are designed to be addictive. I will elaborate on this later in my substantive. (1)

' It helps people socially, mentally, physically, and makes them overall, better people.'
It would be very interesting if you showed us how it improves our social communication, our mental capability and physical capability when there's a genuine risk of it developing into addiction and harming every single aspect of what you raised there.

' In a way, you could think of video games in sort of like an interactive movie. '
Doesn't really make it helpful. Interactive movies are only interesting, at the same time it can harbour derogatory beliefs. There are many controversial movies, so in this sense video games can promote many harmful values, again something I will point out later in my substantive.

Now, moving on to my substantive.

Video games are addictive. They are created to be addictive. Let us view this situation from the designer's perspective. A video game designer creates video games with two main aims: 1. To communicate a message (if there is one, this is often seen in Not-for-profit games) or 2. To make a profit. Let us not forget that designers have families too, most of them. They need to feed their children and in order to do so, they need a source of income. The games that they design have to be sold in order to generate profit.

How do they sell it? In order to market it effectively, consumers have to be ATTRACTED to the product. They have to want to buy it. Of course, for an established franchise (NBA, MLB) new products can be created every year (NBA2K15) with major flaws (unable to create save files), yet still reap significant economic gains (2k15) (2).

But for a new product? It either has to be introduced via 1. Marketing (a lot of money required, generally in the tens of thousands), something that a lot of designers can't afford or 2. Appealing to the impulse buyer.
To appeal to the impulse buyer, what a lot of designers have to focus on is how addictive the game is. This is what draws a lot of addicted gamers.

Moving onto the potential harmful values,

1. Impacts on social wellbeing.
Imagine this: Junkies staying at home, fussing over the latest instalment of Call of Duty, the newest update to League of Legends or online MMORPG (I haven't played these games in a long time, so i'm not sure what's the latest fad). They fuss over the highest KDR or the whatever division you're in. This takes time. Time is equal for everyone, so where does it come out of? Chances are, their social life is hurt by gaming.

If not...

2. Impacts on Mental health.
If these gamers are still leading an active social life, then they are harming their mental health. They aren't putting enough effort into their normal studies, leading to degraded academic grades, and in turn weakening their foundations for the future.

I'll just cap off the introductory debate round for now (there's 5, plenty to go around!).

Voila my friends! :)

1. http://www.video-game-addiction.org...
2.http://www.techly.com.au...
TheDebateMagnet

Pro

TheDebateMagnet forfeited this round.
hamo94

Con

gg forfeiture
TheDebateMagnet

Pro

TheDebateMagnet forfeited this round.
TheDebateMagnet

Pro

TheDebateMagnet forfeited this round.
hamo94

Con

hamo94 forfeited this round.
TheDebateMagnet

Pro

TheDebateMagnet forfeited this round.
hamo94

Con

hamo94 forfeited this round.
Posted by Longline 2 years ago
Longline
and also too much claiming that too much of anything is bad for you is bad for you (:
Posted by Dheu 2 years ago
Dheu
@Andrebigplays69

Agreed. Some people don't realize TOO MUCH OF ANYTHING CAN HURT ANYBODY.

I could debate that
too much water is bad for you.
too much education is bad for you.
too much broccoli is bad for you.

I'm usually indifferent with these debates claiming something is bad for people.
Posted by Tanawsomeguy55 2 years ago
Tanawsomeguy55
Mr hamo have You read on the studies that video games help you? The huffington post did a wonderul article last september on it showing how there is many health and mental benifits to video games
Posted by Mister_Man 2 years ago
Mister_Man
I'm on your side on this one, but I'd be willing to take you up on this. To be clear, for either side to win, he would have to prove that it does more good than bad, or more bad than good?
Posted by Andrebigplay69 2 years ago
Andrebigplay69
Video games can be both helpful and harmful some people play it too damn much and some are acceptable
Posted by Longline 2 years ago
Longline
and beside, not all books give you actuate physical movement. like when im given a mission, I knew what to expect. this skill also help me in the real world today, people say games are bad for you, but really they are just not the kind of people who learn from these things.
Posted by Longline 2 years ago
Longline
I do agree, video games have help me. I learn how to drive a real car from playing video games. I learn how to read from playing video games. the book in school never help me they where so boring after like 5mint of reading I get sick of it. but games I needed to read in order to know what do to, how to do it. names places and many more other things I could have learn from reading one book.
Posted by Randomguy69 2 years ago
Randomguy69
Video games are good for relieving stress as long as you don't get addicted. Also mentioning personal experiences doesn't really prove your point
Posted by Commondebator 2 years ago
Commondebator
Your personal experiences are completely irreverent to this debate.