mostlogical
ClashnBoom

Are video games more fun in 2D?

Started: 4/13/2015 Category: Games

mostlogical

Pro

I will argue why 2D games are more fun to play

Definitions

2D graphics: movements on x and y axis only,
(shadow and lighting can give a 3D appearance)

3D graphics: movements on x, y and z axis

If you are happy with these definitions then we can begin.
ClashnBoom

Con

Since you didn't argue I assume first round is acceptance so I gladly accept.
mostlogical

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

I'm sure you will agree on the following, but if you don't then please do say

a) It would be unfair to decide which type of game is more fun by asking which sort of game people complete more times. 2D games were made first before memory cards were even invented, so they tend to be quicker to complete. A fairer or more accurate way to determine which is more fun would be to ask how long you play on them.

b) It would be unfair to decide which type of game is more fun by comparing the best of 2D and 3D games for each genre and sube genre. 2D games have existed a lot longer whereas 3D games are in their infancy, also if you did give the latest game which tend to be in 3D it will seem more fun just because it's new, but it's impossible to know whether you will play on it longer than any older game.

c) Comparing how much more fun 2D and 3D games is going to be challenging because "what is fun" is subjective.

In case you disagree with point b, I will list below what I believe are the main components of a game i.e. what you "do". This would save having a time consuming debate on the many genres. I've broken games down into 5 things, feel free to add to this list if you like.

1. Collect
2. Dodge
3. Kill
4. Build/Customize
5. Race

1. Collect
In games such as Sonic the hedgehog on the mega drive players collect rings - lots of them, in a 2D world you feel you are progressing through the game, whereas if the game was in 3D and allowed you to move "side-to-side" then you'd feel like you are wasting time by collecting items and that makes a game less fun. There are players who prefer to explore the vast 3D world and find fewer items at a time, but items can be hidden equally as well in 2D.

2. Dodge
It may seem more fun at first to dodge something coming at you, but very soon it becomes tiresome and a matter of remembering which side you should run. In the game Pac-Man, and Snake from Nokia which are 2D games you not only dodge for the sake of saving your character's life but have to to collect things to win, the combination of dodging and collecting simultaneously makes a game more fun, and it is hard to imagine how a 3D can combine these so well.

3. Kill
It may seem more fun to kill things in 3D, but games such as Worms show that this is not necessarily true. More useful information can be shown in 2D than in 3D e.g. it is possible to dig tunnels in worms 2D, but you can't do this in te 3D version of this game.

Imagine throwing a ball in real life, the hardest part is applying the correct power, throwing it straight is easy. 3D games incorporate that easy part of throwing/shooting straight. If you get that wrong in a 3D game you may feel stupid and this can make 3D games less fun.

4. Build/Customize
The 2D games like Tetris and Bust-A-Move are fun games because you are instantly challenged. 3D games like Minecraft (sorry about using 3D examples) can give players more time to complete a challenge. This isn't a bad thing, in fact a more complex challenge can be more fun. It is down to personal preferences.

5. Race
Are racing games better in 3D? It depends on what you like to do. Reflexes can be tested in both 2D and 3D. If you like doing things in single player against the clock then 2D mazes would be more fun than 3D mazes where bad angles can exist, but you can do things against the clock in 3D that are equally fun e.g. Marble Madness.

There are games where certain combinations work better in 2D than in 3D and vice versa. I think the best way to find what kind of game is better is to look at the limitations.

+ Dying/Taking damage

In 2D games when you take damage you may become temporarily invulnerable giving you a chance to get out of a situation, whereas in 3D games which are geared toward reality it might not make sense to do this, and it can make playing 3D games frustrating i.e. less fun.

In 3D games like Resident Evil (sorry again) which is actually a very fun game, when you die you see a clip of your character being eaten, at first it adds to the fun, eventually though you will just want to skip it. If you have to press a button to skip any such screen then it can take the fun out of the game, but you may need these video clips otherwise players may say 'what just happened'. Long clips can make you feel like giving up. In 2D games it's much easier in my opinion to keep trying when you die which shows it is more fun. It also doesn't matter so much if your character dies in exactly the same manner e.g. Bubble Bobble - you don't take damage, you lose a life. I've played that game thousands of times and never got bored.

+ Multiplayer

Most people prefer to play against other humans than playing against "a bot". A 3D environment can hold more players and there is thus more fun potentially to be had. It is also much better to play against more players in a 3D world than trying to play against the same number in a 2D world.

However when I played a 3D game called Tron Evolution for xbox 360 (a good game) where if you die you vanish (which I like), I found newbies would switch side to which ever side was the strongest i.e. my side, so I'd end up playing against one outnumbered newbie! The point I'm trying to make here is that people will want to do things which can make a game less fun. That problem I gave can be solved by giving players an option where team sides are either fixed or switch-able. There will inevitably be more options that people want in a 3D world, this means that before playing you must select your preferences and this takes the fun out of a game. Even this problem can be solved by saving your preferences, but midway through a game you may want to change your preference and find yourself quitting more often. If you want to play against a huge number of people the chance is they will not be your friends (could become though), these strangers are likelier to quit soon after accepting a game with you simply because they think they will lose. Playing against lots of people is not necessarily a good thing. In 2D games you don't really experience anything that can spoil the game.

+ Virtual Games

Clearly, this is the direction 3D games are heading. It sounds cool, I can imagine sitting in a virtual formula one car and having to turn my head to look in the mirror to see behind me. If you can't tell the difference between reality and a game, you will walk away from a game and the memory you have will feel real.

There are car/lorry drivers who have sat in front of a computer screen that surrounds them to simulate driving, and when they had a crash it made them feel shaky even after realizing it was a simulation. It was just like having a real car crash. The question is would you want to experience terrible things like this, and war? How would you feel if you killed someone in a virtual world? Can that be fun? If you do have fun in any such game, would you not prefer to do it in real life? I think 3D games cause you to ask yourself 'why am I playing this?' because they try to mimic real life, and that takes away the enjoyment. I like to play games like chess in 2D because there is no shadow or detail to distract you, and it can give you a new perspective which can help you to improve your game. If I played Chess in 3D I'd just want to move the pieces with my own hand.

I look forward to hearing from you
ClashnBoom

Con

First off I'd like to say that that I will focus more in rebuttuals.

Amount of gamers.

Since fun is too subjective so the most logical way of looking at it is to measure the amount of people who have enjoyed 2D or 3D. But first I will define the word fun. The meaning of fun is enjoyment, amusement or light hearted pleasure. (Source:http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...)

Like I said the most logical way of looking at it is measuring how many people have had fun because of it and based on these sales charts we can see just how many people have enjoyed it.

mostlogical

Pro

Good day,

Thank you for uploading those images, unfortunately they are too small to see precisely what they show, and there is no source either to view a larger image. There appears to be a trend of what I can assume to be greater volume of sales in 3D games but which seems to have started to dip at the end.

I don't doubt that there are more new 3D games being made to meet the demand of buyers, and that after buying a 3D game, people will currently tend to buy another 3D game. Does that mean 3D games are more fun? I don't think so.

You have not explained why those images support your claim. In my view, those sales can be explained quite simply. Latest games always seem more fun, also people will buy them because they look new/different. If you watch trailers for 3D games e.g. https://www.youtube.com... you will notice game video clips are shown to a greater extent than actual gameplay, you will often see 'not actual gameplay' when watching recent game trailers. This proves that 3D games are sold via raising people's expectations. Nowadays people just don't know whether they will like a game until they have bought it.

A more logical way to find which is better is to look at the re-playability. 2D games are highly re-playable despite there being a lousy storyline, or no story at all e.g. Snake. This shows 2D games are fun. 3D games tend to require a decent or realistic storyline and can even if they are good decrease the re-playability of the game. If you walk into an arcade, many gaming machines will include 2D classics like Pac-Man because people will drop more coins in them.

People who grew up with 2D games are most likely bored of computer games by now, so I don't think it is easy to prove which is better, but I am open to any method to prove which is better.

Con must explain how greater sales of 3D games prove they are more fun

Thanks for reading
ClashnBoom

Con

Thanks for that pro.

Arguments:
I have one more argument. Sega. Sega is failing but Nintendo is not. Why? Well Nintendo successfully made all their franchises into great 3D games while Sega failed.

Rebuttals:

1. You asked why the charts proves that 3D video games are more fun? The answer is because if they were boring than why would the next game have the same or more sales than the last? Because people enjoyed it unlike E.T. a 2D game which spear headed the video game crash. Also they have something called "gameplay trailers" if you want the gameplay. 2D game trailers were even more off actually I mean look at this https://m.youtube.com...

2. I disagree. The re-playability is only a small factor because 3D games these days have a plot unlike the 2D games where you just save a princess or animals and stuff. And look at games like Skyrim it's old but people still play it. Pac-Man already has a 3D platformer and arcades have more fighting games like Tekken and racing games like Mario Kart both of witch are 3D games.

3. You stated in the last round " I will list below what I believe are the main components of a game i.e. what you "do". This would save having a time consuming debate on the many genres. I've broken games down into 5 things, feel free to add to this list if you like." I will add to that.

1. Collect.
2. Dodge.
3. Kill.
4. Build/Customize.
5. Race.
6. Choose.
7. Interact\Multiplayer.

1. Collect.
This factor is not big anymore but its still fun to look hard to find things in a 3D world.

2. Dodge.
I'm not sure why this is part but okay. In the game Wii sports you do not only doge in the game but in real life too, which makes the player feel like he did more than click a button which is more fun.
Most of the Wii's games are like that which made a huge group of gamers in the market. Evidence for Wii sports being a good game is the fact that the game is both the best selling and third best selling game on the system. http://en.m.wikipedia.org...

3. Kill.
GTA is very fun and has such a huge market that other games like Just Cause and Watch Dogs appear. But why was it so fun? Cause it lets you do things your not supposed to do like kill. Also games like COD and Far Cry's main premise is to kill the enemy and seeing how FPS is the current gold mine I'd have to say that its fun.

4. Build\Customize.
I just have to say Skyrim,Sims, Civilization and Minecraft all of which are extremely popular.

5. Race.
One of the most popular Nintendo games is Mario Kart need I say more? I will. A few years back there was a short racing games fad which made Need for Speed extremely popular making it spawn more than 10 games.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org...

6. Player Choice.
Games like again Skyrim are very well-known for this spawning a couple of rip offs. Also Mass Effect is very popular because it differentiates it self from the other FPS games because of player choice.

7. Interaction or Multiple player.
I'm sure you already know 3D games have much better multi player games. I'll name some Dota,LOL, Counterstrike, TF2 ,Super Smash Bros, Mario Party etc.
Posted by mostlogical 1 year ago
mostlogical
Cool
Posted by ClashnBoom 1 year ago
ClashnBoom
I'm actually done writing the arguments I just need a computer so I can add the pictures.
Posted by mostlogical 1 year ago
mostlogical
Take your time, I have written quite a lot, sorry, if you like we can just debate the limitations
Posted by ClashnBoom 1 year ago
ClashnBoom
I'll be quite slow so sorry in advance.
Posted by ClashnBoom 1 year ago
ClashnBoom
Can I rebut this round?
Posted by mostlogical 1 year ago
mostlogical
You are free to debate this topic with me how you like
Posted by ClashnBoom 1 year ago
ClashnBoom
Yikes! Why didn't you tell me your arguments were pre-made or something.
Posted by GDBH 1 year ago
GDBH
Would you mind if I argued on the position that it really depends on what kind of game it is?