Flynn1999
Embracethecringeboi

Are video games really bad for you?

Started: 5/3/2016 Category: Technology

Flynn1999

Con

Video games are frowned upon by parents as time-wasters, and worse, some education experts think that these games corrupt the brain. Playing violent video games are easily blamed by the media and some experts as the reason why some young people become violent or commit extreme anti-social behavior. But many scientists and psychologists find that video games can actually have many benefits " the main one is making kids smart. Video games may actually teach kids high-level thinking skills that they will need in the future.

"Video games change your brain," according to University of Wisconsin psychologist C. Shawn Green. Playing video games change the brain"s physical structure the same way as do learning to read, playing the piano, or navigating using a map. Much like exercise can build muscle, the powerful combination of concentration and rewarding surges of neurotransmitters like dopamine strengthen neural circuits that can build the brain. When your child plays video games, it gives his brain a real workout. In many video games, the skills required to win involve abstract and high level thinking. These skills are not even taught at school.
Embracethecringeboi

Pro

I love video games, but the simple fact is that they ruin your attention span. Procrastination is amplified tenfold when youth get their hands on video games. I should know because I was the same. You could argue that it's the person playing's problem, but if the game hadn't been there in the first place they would move on much quicker.
Flynn1999

Con

If you truly believe in what your saying, then that falls under drinking and TV and Computers. People get stuck into an addiction with those as well as video games. So why don't we just get rid of those things as well? Well the answer to that is simple; Video games, like TV and computer, has become a huge role in young and adult life. It is a way to wind down and relax. weather or not you get addicted to it is totally up to you. Its not the video games fault. You just have a bad way to control your own time. I play for about 4 to 5 hours a day, some in the afternoons after school is done, and some in the evenings. Parents think that 2 hours is bad, and the truth of the matter is that it's not bad. It is just a long time to be sitting in one place. Its bad for adults who work in an office to be sitting at a desk working for more then 2 hours. The video games are just another excuse for you not getting up off your butt and moving around. I'm not saying you have to go run a marathon or anything. I am just implementing you get up every 30 to 45 minutes and walk around some where. Then when you have moved your body for about 10 minutes, go back and finish what you had started.
Embracethecringeboi

Pro

Listen man, I don't want to be debating against the effects of video games as much as the next gamer, but I need to do three of these, so I'm forced to take up the sword against a topic I would rather be for than against. So I'll try my best.

First off, let me start with sitting on your rear. It's a common fact that obesity levels have gone up much higher than say in the 1800's. Video Games as a requirement make you sit down and play for minutes or hours on end to experience anything. That's time you could be spending outside for entertainment, burning calories and fat. Of course it's unhealthy to sit for five hours playing a game, but for some it's a requirement for even playing. BUT this does not change the fact that sitting on your bum for any length of time doing anything at all is unhealthy. The only way to burn calories it to move, and Video Games directly conflict with that.

Secondly, I think it's safe to assume social interaction also takes a hike down as well due to the fact that you aren't meeting anyone in person, and are again sitting down in seclusion. Playing with friends splitscreen is a good remedy, but unfortunately not everyone can have a second body to interact with all the time. I could also be outside doing community service or helping others if I was an overachiever, but it's my free time and realistically I wouldn't bother pursuing it, but it is a possibility.

So in conclusion, I think it is impossible to argue against the social and physical effects on yourself occurred from video games, but the ball's in your court and this is just my opinion.

(P.S.: Fallout 4 is best!)
Flynn1999

Con

I cannot stress enough that I do not want to come across as rude or disrespectful to you in any way. I am just making a point off of what you have said this past paragraph. What you said about "I could also be outside doing community service or helping others if I was an overachiever, but it's my free time and realistically I wouldn't bother pursuing it, but it is a possibility" is a very ill mannered thing to say. You could be out doing a billion different things but you CHOSE to play video games, you CHOSE not to go and help charity or something (anything) that is not video game related. My main point which I am trying to get across here is that it is not the video games fault that you are addicted or that you aren't moving, its YOU. You have the full power to get up, the video game is not forcing you to stay and play. You are in full control of your body and when it moves, and if you or anyone is going to say that that is not true. That Video games force you to stay and finish them, then I would say you have a hard time with focusing and I would see some one about it. I agree though, when I play Uncharted $ this Monday night I am gonna be sitting down for many hours because I really wanna play. But if i was playing and let say my wife was having a baby, I would stop and help her. I don't have wife I am only 17 but you get my point. Either way the argument here is "Are Video games bad for you" not "Are they addictive" My answer to that is no they are not bad for you, no matter how addictive they can be. That is in your control not the video game's.

The next point I would like to make is that video games help tremendously with hand-eye coordination, which can be good for many things! "Indications of impaired hand-eye coordination become evident quickly when observing an affected child or adult performing a simple task. Peter S. Westwood, in his book titled "Learning and Learning Disabilities: A Handbook for Teachers," presents research showing the poor handwriting may be the result of hand-eye coordination impairment. In extreme cases, this impairment may be caused by dyspraxia, a neurological condition that affects motor coordination. The Dyspraxia Foundation lists other symptoms of this disorder, which include an inability to cook, type, tie your shoes, drive a car or shave." according to http://www.livestrong.com...
Now that you have those facts in play, what are your thoughts on this matter?
Embracethecringeboi

Pro

Embracethecringeboi forfeited this round.
Flynn1999

Con

Here are a few reasons why Video games actually help you:
1. They help to develop problem-solving skills
A hard level and epic boss can be a female dog. You work extra hard in your head to devise strategies to beat them. Unless you are a genius gamer, you fail the first time and then take another shot, but this time you are thinking of a different novel way to beat that mean boss(remember the last level of Max Payne 2?).
2. Enhance creativity
Video games make you creative. One study found that playing video games helped in increasing creativity in children. You know what the whopper is? Creativity and cellphones have no correlation at all. Dump your cellphones for those sexy gaming consoles and gaming PCs.
3. Video games improve your mood, are relaxing, and fade anxiety
Frustrated and angry? Play Angry birds! Who doesn't like the sight of a whole big structure with pigs on it, brought down by an exploding fat bird? Games like these instantly improve your mood. They also help you relax when you are anxious before attending that interview to the job you really want.
4. They even help you become social
No, not all gamers are sitting in their moms" basements, overweight and in their smelly brown underwears, chugging on soft drinks at the rate of 10 liters an hour. Studies have showed that video games actually help you become social. 70% of all gamers play with someone else on the internet. They make friends too. But, video games are not substitutes for real life socialization. Maintain a healthy balance of real life and online friends.
5. Video games help in stimulating the growth of new neurons
Once considered impossible, neurogenesis (growth of new neurons) actually takes place in the brains of gamers. We all know that grey matter is an indicator of intelligence in the brain. A study showed increased grey matter in the brains of gamers. This means you are literally building brain muscle by gaming. Video games are the gyms for the brain. Go, workout for 30 minutes.
6. They help you think quick, make fast decisions and analyses
Anyone who has played a fast-paced game can relate to this. Some games need really quick reflexes. Even the simple game of Tetris in its hard levels is a complete finger-biting, sweat-inducing, fast-paced, decision-making workout. They are thinking about using video games to train soldiers and surgeons to make crux decisions in a split second.
7. Video games make you persevere
"I AM GONNA GET BACK AT YOU! YOU WAIT, YOU PIECE OF VILLAIN CRAP!", you screamed as you lost to the boss/villain for the 9th time. But, you keep at it. Video games help you persevere. It"s a very challenging setup and you don"t really want to give up, and you fight it again and again to beat the system. It really teaches you tenacity.
8. Video games help you recognize patterns
At the end of the day, every game out there is basically a code, programmed by people. Large games with many levels have repeating patterns. You learn pattern recognition even without knowing. Now though, they are making in-game AI (artificial intelligence) so much harder and unpredictable, that finding patterns is getting harder.
9. Better hand-eye coordination
Non-gamers use a lot of brain juice to coordinate between eye movement and hand movement. A study has shown that gamers don"t even think about hand-eye coordination. Most of their brain power is focused on higher tasks like defeating the AI because hand-eye coordination is already automated.
10. Help you navigate better
Anyone who has played GTA or Counterstrike can relate to this. Games with vast open worlds help you navigate better. You explore landscapes on the scale of hundreds of kilometers in such games. It helps your navigational abilities over time.
11. Risk taking
Almost all games are pro-risk. They are programmed to reward risk-takers. Outrageous solutions to the most difficult problems have you doing the victory dance. It helps in making you pro-risk, with calculated strategies, obviously. We all know the risk-reward correlation " the more the risk, the better the reward.
12. Help in teamwork and better cooperation
Ask anyone who has played Counterstrike, League of Legends or Dota with his friends. They are almost communicating telepathically with their teammates. Their coordination and communication go deeper than the usual banter we have with our conventional teammates in real life. Working together to achieve a common goal to the point that you will sacrifice yourself altruistically, comes quite naturally to gamers.
13. Better vision
video games gives you better vision. A study has shown that playing a video game changes pathways in the brain, helping the gamer to distinguish more shades of grey. Called the contrast sensitivity function, it is the same ability that helps you drive better at night. So yeah, it helps you see better. I had a 50 Shades Of Grey joke here, but it"s too dirty.
14. They get you lots of money and help in international relations
Take the case of the youngest millionaire of E-sports " Sumail. He hails from Pakistan and one of his teammates is Sahil Arora, an American-Indian. Whaaaaat? An Indo-Pak team combo? A successful Indo-Pak team combo?! Yes! And they won a whopping $6 million when they won The International Dota 2 Championships this year, with Sumail pocketing a cool $1.2 million. An Indian and a Pakistani teamed up with three others to win a game that is dominated by the Asians. And Sumail is just 16! He is 16 and he made his first million dollars! E-sports is the future they say, with tournaments getting better with more audience and fatter prize money. People are realizing that there is a scope of getting into gaming professionally. Big bucks, fame, international friends and a faster, more intelligent brain.
Embracethecringeboi

Pro