xOs
Firelife

Are violent video games hurting children's lives?

xOs
Started: 8/1/2014 Category: Technology

xOs

Pro

Just in case my soon to be contender has forgotten, we will be arguing in four rounds.

Round 1- Acceptance
Round 2- Main Arguments
Round 3- Rebuttals
Round 4- Final Arguments and Closing

Be sure to cite your sources, and happy debating!
Firelife

Con

I accept your challange. I will be debating about the positive social mental and physical effects vide games have on children but first I would like to ask pro what is the maximum age to be considered a child in your mind
xOs

Pro

Video games have been influencing children's behavior since the were first released. Not only do they give the children the idea that war is all about brutality and blowing stuff up. It makes violence seem like a lesser offense. Something that they think would be fun to perticapate in. But don't just listen to me, because I'm here to deliver the facts. In fact, in a recent study, "Participants who played a violent video game for only 35 minutes exhibited less self-control, cheated more, and behaved more aggressively than did participants who played a nonviolent video game." [1]. This test was done with 37,000 kids, and had an 85% success rate. One of the many tests involved putting bowls of candy next to players, and telling them that they could eat however much they want, but to express self-control because these things could make you fat. Once they re-entered the room one hour later, they found that the kids playing the violent games had eaten much more, thus expressing less self-control. After finishing play, they completed a survey designed to measure their level of moral disengagement. On a one-to-seven scale ("completely agree" to "completely disagree"), participants responded to a series of statements indicating a tendency to think of moral behavior in relative terms.

Examples include "Compared to the illegal things people do, taking some things from a store without paying for them is not very serious" and "It is OK to insult a classmate, because beating him/her is worse." [2]. Can you guess who was more morally disengaged?

[1]- http://www.psmag.com...
[2]- page 2 (psmag)
Firelife

Con

One of the main statements in the post you sent me was that it said video games reward innocent killing rape etc.

1 I don't know any video game that you are allowed to rape people at all. Most video games that promote rape are banned by the video game rating association and even if one exists (I doubt it) it would most likely be completly off limits to children.

2 Most games punish you for innocent killing. In gta the police go after you. In dis-honoured the game heavily punishes you for killing anyone. In payday 2 the game punishes you for killing civilians. In LA-Noire the game punishes you for breaking stealing or shooting anyone. Games do implement moral choices and punishments.

Games have many benifits I myself included have felt them
1: Violent CO-OP video games such as borderlands are actually good for strengthing bonds with friends as you work together to complete objectives and cover each others backs

Competitive video games such as Call of Duty or Halo are great for LAN parties where you can get together with friends and just play and have fun.

2: Studies have shown again and again video games bolster reflexes and can strengthen bonds with friends. They can also help with concentration and some of them require heavy thinking to play which does require tactics and team-work co operation.

The authors of Grand Theft Childhood a book about video games expresses at the end the thing they are worried about most is that people are concerened about video games runing lives and they don't focus on the major established childhood ruiners such as alchohal,ciggaretes, abuse parents etc
xOs

Pro

I would like to talk briefly about the arguments that my opponent has made.

1- You believe that you are punished for crimes in games? Crime is the main objective! In games like GTA AND Just Cause 3, you can collect money for doing things like killing, completing contracts that violate people's privacy (amongst other things), and holding up and robbing stores. Sure, you can do non-violent things, but the games make sure that they take much longer and yield less of a bounty, effectively forcing you into crime.

2- You said that people strengthen bonds by playing violent video games together?
Below I have attached a link to an incident in which a brother stabbed another when he refused to turn over a video game. [1] This shows that video games are getting people too emotional.

3- Anger (especially pent up anger) can be what pushes children over the line to start things like drugs. Now, I'm not saying that this is a frequenting thing, but this can be one of the contributing factors that pushes them over the edge.
Firelife

Con

Just cause 3 does not exist
Regardless of pay cops still come after you in GTA. I can still name many games where you are punished for doing illegal things.

As to the kid stabbing thing the link isn't showing up so im assuming you mean the flappy bird incident where the guy was declared not sane. Im arguing on behalf of the majority.

Also how the hell do video games make people do drugs? Please explain.

You also have not addresed LAN parties so im guessing that point was valid.

Also from the comments and from personal experience people use video games as an escape from reality and as a way to vent anger.

Now to further address anger

Video games cause more frustration over anger and this is usually in tough games but that is to be expected. Nothing new.

(As a side note I think people should focus on more major childhood runiers such as obesity abuse and under age alchohal etc)

New point.

MMORPGS can be violent but yet it is a social experience that it hard to experience IRL you are connected to millions of players in the blink of an eye this is a massive social experience and a chance to make friends. This isnt a childhood ruiner this is thing that makes childhoods better and may even help deal with depression and/or social issues
xOs

Pro

Let me ask you, if you took the violence out of video games like Dishonored, GTA, and PayDay, what would they become? Games that kids would soon move on from. The entire video game culture has become intwined with violent video games, and has become less involved with puzzlers, and other thinking games. But that's not just a fiction that I made up. Here are some prime examples.

"A teenager went on a rampage and killed three men, two of them police officers, after months of playing Grand Theft Auto.

"A 17-year-old male killed his mother and wounded his father after they took Halo 3 away from him.

"A 15-year old ran away from home after his parents took his Xbox console away. His dead body was found almost a month later.

"Two kids murdered 13 and wounded 23 before turning the gun on themselves acting out their own version of Doom.

While people are playing video games they are not thinking about the damage they are causing, and their behavior totally changes.
People defend violent video games and identify them as "stress relievers". They are not stress relievers at all. If people are so into the game they are playing, they will feel like it is real life. Some people have even identified the main soldiers in games like Call of Duty and Battlefield as their roll models, which is pathetic.
These video games are creating an alternate world inside the heads of children. A world in which killing is okay! A world in which gunning down innocent people is a great money maker! Anyone who has ever played a game of Call of Duty or any other live chat game will know that children these days can be just as vulgar, racist, and easy to insult as teens!
In fact, violent video games even affect brain activity. As voiced by scientists, "When playing a high-violence video game, players accustomed to such games showed lower activity (measured via signals from magnetic resonance imaging) in the rostral anterior cingulate cortex (rACC), whereas players used to low-violence games displayed higher activity. This difference suggests that gamers who often play violent games may be desensitized to aggression and violence. (Courtesy of K. Thomas and D. A. Gentile)" [1].

(Addressing MMORPGS)

So you're just assuming that everyone on MMORPGs are friendly? That all gamers are sweet and kind? I have already addressed this point but I may as well repeat, people are not always friendly! And suicide rate induced by cyberbullying is the #3 child killer in the world, taking around 5,000 lives each year. Now, I know that you might retaliate, "but that number is minuscule!" But the truth is, suicide is not the only thing that can happen due to video games. Depression, Isolation, and Mental Damage are all things that can come from being bullied on MMOs. In fact, depression is known to hit 20%-35% of kids that play video games. Violent video games can also keep kids from learning how to interact socially, which can lead to problems later in life.
And to counter your remark about making childhoods better, video games might look good, if you aren't looking too far in the future. By the way, I noticed that that you haven't cited, or even used any sources. You might want to take a look at some statistics. And if all you have to go on is yourself. With no other evidence present, then you might want to look a few things up.

I thank you for the interesting debate, and for the fun experience to express my opinion. This has been an idea that has attracted a lot of controversy, and I am happy to express my opinion.

------------------------------------------------------------------ATTENTION--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to ask people that are voting to leave bias out of this, and to read the debates BEFORE voting. Thank you!
Firelife

Con

SOURCES! I don't see any for your stories except for one which I will address. Is there a problem having Call of Duty characters as role models? Better a soldier that is loyal fights for a just cause etc instead of someone like Kim Kardashian. The reason the violence in video games attracts people is becaause its fast paced and fun. I know it removes stress from me because video games are fun to play and I play with friends all the time. I have made many good friends from video games. And if you start to think game are real you arn't the target market and your logic is seriously flawed.

Not to mention your source specificly says this "The proliferation of violent video games has not coincided with spikes in youth violent crime. The number of violent youth offenders fell by more than half between 1994 and 2010, to 224 per 100,000 population, according to government statistics, while video game sales have more than doubled since 1996."

Thats right the more video games the less crime according to your OWN source

Your argument states that violent video games hurt childrens lives. They don't. Nothing in video games is new or hasn't been done in books tv or real life. You say this

And there is only a source for one of these stories. Let me point out that doom doesn't encourage you to go around shooting innocents. Doom goes by the reasnable logic of kill or be killed. This list of of a minority not the majority. We should not be worried about video games and should instead be worried about drugs abusive parents and the gun debate.

Your statement about cyber-bullies? Ill say this. VIDEO GAMES HAVE A BLOCK COMMUNICATIONS BUTTON. If a guy is harrasing you and you are stupid enough not to use this function then video games and the internet are not for you. Also cyber bullying is tame compared to school bullying because on the internet you can block and ignore most people and it almost never gets physical. In schools it gets physical real quick.

Also on your statement video games have less thinking more violence? Wrong. By a huge mile.

Minecraft POPULAR GAME NO VIOLENCE
Journey WON A GAME OF THE YEAR NO VIOLENCE
Portal 1 and 2 LEGENDARY STILL PURCHASED NO VIOLENCE
Anti chamber POPULAR LOTS OF THINKING NO VIOLENCE

I can go on but I think I have refuted that point. Are you also saying the violent video games don't have thinking? Well to,e to make another list

Dawn of war (Warhammer 40k) requires tactics and thinking lots of violence
La Noir is a detective game that requires heavy thinking lots of violence
Deus ex moderate violence every think you do has a consequence and benifit and it requires deep thought. It also has a narrative addressing issues of society. A very deep game that requires lots of thinking.
Starcraft requires thinking lots of violence.

I can keep refuting these. A huge amount of violent video games encourage heavy thinking team work and tactics (TF2 and planetside 2 are prime examples of these.)

And suicide rate induced by cyberbullying is the #3 child killer in the world, taking around 5,000 lives each year

Wrong I found one report and it said SUICIDE ALONE is the #3 child killer. The most I can find is that cyber bullying causes the lowest amount of suicide out of all the types. The death rate for cyber bullying is really small compared to any other type. I put some CDC charts showing leading killers for child death suicide is the #3 highest yes but sucide isn't exclusive to bullying or cyber bullying.

Violent video games can also keep kids from learning how to interact socially,

*COUGH* *COUGH* LAN PARTIES! *COUGH* *COUGH* this is is a stereo type which is not at all true. If you go to school and find kids who play the same video games as you they can easily become friends (Thats how I got all my best friends)

Not to mention gaming conventions exist where HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of gamers come together and interact with each other. You say these don't have the ability to teach or enhance social activity?

People defend violent video games and identify them as "stress relievers". They are not stress relievers at all. If people are so into the game they are playing, they will feel like it is real life.

False they are stress relivers just look in the comments. I my myself have experience stress and video games helped me relieve it. Your last sentence they belive it is like real life is one of the stupider ones your brain can tell the difference between artificial and natural light and if you are referencing the events then yeah thats whats going on in the world. In fact whats going on in the world is even worse. In violent video games you kill armed soldiers trying to kill you. IRL in gaza lots of civs die from the military. Video games actually are a little bit tamer then real life.

Some people have even identified the main soldiers in games like Call of Duty and Battlefield as their roll models, which is pathetic.

I admire a character named Adam Jensen from deus ex human revolution do you know why? He is portrayed as a person who wants to fight for what he believes. At the end he makes the ultimate sacrifice attempting to help humanity. Not many real life people do this. I think they should do it more. Some characters are better people then any celeberity musician or whatever in the world such as lee in walking dead whom takes care of a child whos parents are dead even though he could have left her behind. The soldiers in Call of Duty are no different. Dmitri is a character in the black ops series who charges into the front lines for russia to conquer the reichstag and gets wounded while doing it. He dies for his country and if that aint someone to be inspired by I dont know what is.

These video games are creating an alternate world inside the heads of children. A world in which killing is okay! A world in which gunning down innocent people is a great money maker!

I played payday 2 today and shot every civilian in the map to test this theory. My character lost all his cash due to cleaner costs and lost some respect from his crew members as well. I tried this in other games. The police just killed or arrested me and I lost money instead of gaining it. Video games encourage teamwork and tactics. Mac donalds encourage you to eat their food which actually CAN kill you yet no one cares.

I noticed that that you haven't cited, or even used any sources. You might want to take a look at some statistics

Anecdotes comments and the things I suggested you should read (Grand theft childhood the book I mentioned in my first part were source material enough. You stoll haven't provided evidence showing that video games push children over the edge and promote children to do drugs

To summerise..

-Video games encourage tactics and situation analysis (Arma is a great example)
-They grant great opportunities for socialisation
-As many people have said they can relieve stress
-Cyber bullying isn't the third highest killer in the world.

Vote for me I have refuted all of pro's points and added my own. Thanks for the debate and I shall take my leave because according to pro I am pathetic for having a video game character I admire because of his traits. Good day gentlemen/ Gentle ladies

http://www.cdc.gov...
http://www.cdc.gov...
Posted by xOs 2 years ago
xOs
My Sources For The Round Four Debate---

[1] http://www.dana.org...

Others----

http://www.nytimes.com...
Posted by xOs 2 years ago
xOs
Sorry about the typos in my debate. Here are the corrections.

[1] http://www.nydailynews.com...

* Just Cause 2
Posted by Mister_Man 2 years ago
Mister_Man
If I could add something - Video games are a form of release. I don't know how many times I've felt horrible or angry, and I've played Call of Duty, or even Manhunt, and I feel instantly relieved. You COULD argue that killing people in video games, because I feel a bit better, implies that killing people is okay. It has nothing to do with the video game itself, it has to do with how you were raised as a child. I was raised to strongly know the difference between right and wrong, and I KNOW killing is bad. because I kill people in a video game for fun, or watch people die in movies, or even snuff films online, does not meen I endorse killing or would actually do it.

And there are games where you rape people. I won't name them because I'm fairly new here and I don't know if that would be appropriate, but they do exist. And people have gone crazy (mostly women) saying they "advocate rape." But they don't cry over games such as GTA, Manhunt, CoD, Condemned, PayDay, etc. It all boils down to what people BELIEVE is "bad." I have seen people comment in forums for a couple games where the objective is to rape women, saying it gets the sexual tension of being alone off their chest, lets them experience their fantasies while being completely safe and not harming anyone, etc.

And we can say the same about violent video games. It's simply a release. No game has ever endorsed violence. Even that game a while ago where you went around a school (a real school, pretty detailed) and shot people and cops. I can even argue that that is a release, and nobody who plays that game (who doesn't have a psychological problem to begin with) would think all of a sudden it is okay to act that way or kill people. And not even think it's okay, they just wouldn't even think about it seriously.

Well this got pretty long, just wanted to put my two cents in.
Posted by 1814Username 2 years ago
1814Username
Video games? Please. I can turn on the TV and in one movie, see a hundred people killed. So just stop with all this video game nonsense.
Posted by schachdame 2 years ago
schachdame
I was kinda aggressive the whole last month due to University stress. 10 hour of Tomb Raider and dozens of dead monsters later I am now pretty chilled ^^
Not that personal experience is an argument, but we don't have that many options nowadays to deal with some instinctual agression. Looking forward to seeing some creative arguments here.
Posted by xOs 2 years ago
xOs
honestly, I would say the end of being a "child" is about 16.
Posted by xOs 2 years ago
xOs
I was talking more about the mental effects that can then become physical, and what can happen to a child that has been exposed to too much.
Posted by Firelife 2 years ago
Firelife
Can you please further define hurt do you mean physical mental or social?
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
xOsFirelifeTied
Reasons for voting decision: con weren't really showing the benefits of video games to be actually effective, while pro had many unrefuted arguments
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
xOsFirelifeTied
Reasons for voting decision: A narrow victory for Pro, mostly on the strength of his R2 unrebutted study. I don't think it's a GOOD study, mind, but Con needed to address it and didn't in any substantive fashion, which means it's conclusions of harm stand. Con showing benefits would only work if those benefits were concrete, and overshadowed the harms Pro asserted, but having failed to support them similarly, I don't think they were enough. So arguments to Pro. As always, happy to clarify this RFD.