Stephafini
The_Old_Man

Are we a Nation of Debt Slaves: Does Taxation go too far?

The_Old_Man

Stephafini

Pro

I am not entirely sure what I think on the subject, since both my mom and my grandpa are on opposite sides. My grandpa beleiving that Taxes are just fine as they are, and My mom who is furiouse at the fact that she got $20000 taxed out of a really big paycheck that she had to work a LOT of overtime for.
So I want to hear thoughts and oppinions from other people, what do you guys think? Help me figure this out.

And I'm picking pro because I am required to choose a side before publishing this.
The_Old_Man

Con

No, we are not a nation of debt slaves. Taxes are required in order to run a government and a government is required in order to provide law. Law is required in order to assure civilization and civilization is required in order to keep people from bashing each other over the heads and just taking whatever they want. If we are debt slaves then, we are only debt slaves to our selves.

It is easy to say however, that we should not have to participate in the collection of taxes. "We don't bash people over the heads. We don't just take what we want." One must understand however that it is the protections provided by the government, which runs on taxes, that makes possible much of the earning potential that differentiates the person that can take care of their self from the person who otherwise could not. This means that we ALL benefit from civilized behavior and by the process of association, government and taxes.
Stephafini

Pro

Stephafini forfeited this round.
The_Old_Man

Con

The_Old_Man forfeited this round.
Stephafini

Pro

Stephafini forfeited this round.
The_Old_Man

Con

The_Old_Man forfeited this round.
Posted by Josh2Colon 3 years ago
Josh2Colon
When taxes are 'appropriate' to provide for the common defense, law and order, correct levels of regulation, then taxes are correct.

When taxes are used to 'redistribute the wealth' then taxes are incorrect.

The original question was "Are we a Nation of Debt Slaves: Does Taxation go too far?" The answer to that question is Yes.

We have masive amounts of tax monies being spent on welfare, food stamps, public housing, health care etc. etc.. We the workers are having far too much money stolen out of our checks to 'provide for' able bodied folks who will not work. Add in the massive amounts of tax dollars being stolen via fraud and misappropriation of funds by 'our government' and it becomes quite clear 'We' are debt slaves. Workers indentured by deficit spending incurred by governmental spending - all too often - on things the federal government has no business spending on.

Josh Colon.
Vote Placed by SloppyJoe6412 3 years ago
SloppyJoe6412
StephafiniThe_Old_ManTied
Reasons for voting decision: Since Pro stated from the start that he just wanted to hear other people's opinions, this vote should be taken more as a comment. Anyway I fully agree with Con's position -I strongly believe that the vast majority of the middle and working classes are on "phantom welfare", that is, we all are net receivers of taxes even though we don't see it, and Con made that point.