David286
NateTheFirst

Are we alone in the universe

David286

Con

First let me state my stance on this subject I think that we are not alone in the galaxy let alone our universe. This is because it is mathematically improbable that we are alone within our galaxy. Now I'm not saying I believe that aliens have ever visited earth or have advanced technology compared to us but I do belive that there is another intelligent civilization in our universe. This is something I cannot prove nor can anyone else but no one could disprove it as well (at least yet). Mabey someday in the future we will be able to prove or disprove alien civilizations.
NateTheFirst

Pro

David286

Con

Let me explain that I think of this as more of a intelligent discussion rather than a debate. There are about one hundred billion galaxies each with about one hundred billion stars. Also the planets out-weigh the stars 4 to 1 so even within our milky way galaxy there is about 400 billion planets. If we take just 1 percent of those and say that is how many planets are in the habitable zone we get 4 billion planets in the habitable zone. If we take just half of a percent and say that is how many planets have the necessary conditions for life we get 20 million planets that are able to sustain life. Now let's assume that some of these planets populations were destroyed and let's again say that only half of a percent of the planets that were unable to sustain life actually survived with out total extinction that makes the number of planets with life still on it today 100 thousand. This would mean there is 100 thousand other planets with life just within our own galaxy. (These percents are just estimates very low estimates if I might add). This is why this is improbable that we are alone even within our own galaxy let alone the entire universe.
NateTheFirst

Pro

NateTheFirst forfeited this round.
David286

Con

David286 forfeited this round.
NateTheFirst

Pro

NateTheFirst forfeited this round.
Posted by NateTheFirst 1 year ago
NateTheFirst
How exactly does that imply arrogance?
Posted by HyperZero 1 year ago
HyperZero
There are more stars than grains of sand on every beach on Earth. How can anyone be so arrogant to even think for a second that we are alone in the universe. For each one of those stars, there are multiple planets and if one of those planets is a certain distance from the star, there is a possibility it can sustain life on that planet. Lets say that that star system doesn't contain life, as I said there are more stars than grains of sand on every beach on Earth so there is an infinite amount of possibilities for there to be life in the universe. The debate is "Are we alone in the universe". Even if there is one other life form out there, it automatically means that we aren't alone but that's only one, there could be BILLIONS of other life forms in our universe or even in our galaxy we just haven't discovered them yet hence the reason people think that Earth is the only planet capable of sustaining life.
Posted by David286 1 year ago
David286
You can debate it by stating why you think it is not possible or why you don't believe it is true things like that it is like debating the existence of a God you can not prove the existence of a God nor can you disprove it but people still debate it. That is how we should treat this debate.
Posted by Ssosme 1 year ago
Ssosme
This is confusing, how are we suppose to debate you if you say its not proven or disproven like what are we suppose to talk about if you are pretty neutral on the topic.
Posted by David286 1 year ago
David286
Yeah if It comes up I will do a rough estimation of how many civilizations there could be in the milky way galaxy.
Posted by MagicAintReal 1 year ago
MagicAintReal
Yeah the drake equation and the current estimate of stars in the total observable universe speaks to a reasonable chance of life elsewhere in the universe, maybe the milky way galaxy.