ImSomebody
InfiniteBears

"Are we humans exactly like stones thrown in a river?"

ImSomebody

Con

Rules

1. I must argue in favor of the resolution that we humans aren't exactly like stones thrown in a river.

2. First round for acceptance.

3. BoP is on me; As much as you can prove why we are like humans, if there is at least ONE difference, I win (Hence the resolution ("Exactly")).

4. No trolling.

Failure to follow these rules will result in a 7-point forfeiture.
InfiniteBears

Pro

Hello, and thank you for making this debate.

I will be in favor of that we humans, are exactly "like" stones thrown in a river.

I will be taking a figurative stance in this debate. Good luck!
ImSomebody

Con

ImSomebody forfeited this round.
InfiniteBears

Pro

My opponent has forfeited

Definition of simile.
: a figure of speech comparing two unlike things that is often introduced by like or as (as in cheeks like roses)

In the title it states. "Are we humans exactly like stones thrown in a river?" Since the word "like" is in the title, you are using a comparison. The comparison is humans and stones thrown in a river. Next I will explain why this comparison makes sense.

Main argument:
-This comparison makes sense because, when we are born we are like stones thrown in a river.
-At birth we might get swept along with the rivers currents and go with the flow all the way to the vast ocean. Then find your way to land and settle there. In some we might not be so fortunate, we might sink to the bottom of the river bed and never go anywhere in life, but there is a chance that we could get picked up at the bottom of the river by an "opportunity". By being the stone that has been picked up by chance, we could be something in life. We could be the stepping stone of an important building. Maybe one could be used to build a monument. Where ever the river ends you up in your life, it represents the random luck we get from birth.
ImSomebody

Con

Here's the thing, though. Speaking of our free will, we may head a different direction. For instance, if I antagonized a bear with a stick, I can either run away, fight, etc. We are not either left with 1 choice, or are forced (Inevitably) to choose one.
InfiniteBears

Pro

-If we had absolute free will we wouldn't end up in that situation with the bear, would we?
-The "river" carried the human into that scenario. The river represents the direction the person is going to in their life. That direction ended up being the encounter with the bear.
-The "river" doesn't just give you one choice, it might give you multiple choices to branch off in a different direction of the "river". Just think of the little streams that branch off of rivers to be the choices you can make during a situation.
ImSomebody

Con

"-The "river" doesn't just give you one choice, it might give you multiple choices to branch off in a different direction of the "river". Just think of the little streams that branch off of rivers to be the choices you can make during a situation."

Yes, it does, as the thrown pebble heads in only one direction.

"-If we had absolute free will we wouldn't end up in that situation with the bear, would we?"

We can, depending on what one person chooses to do, as we have free will.
InfiniteBears

Pro

InfiniteBears forfeited this round.
Posted by InfiniteBears 3 years ago
InfiniteBears
Woops i forfeited by accident 😯😯😯😯
Posted by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
Nice wording Pro.
Posted by msheahan99 3 years ago
msheahan99
this is one of the dumber debates i've ever seen
Posted by ironknight47 3 years ago
ironknight47
Do you have the power to take points off?
Posted by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
What are you even talking about? I do not understand this debate.
Posted by ImSomebody 3 years ago
ImSomebody
@msheahan99

You don't understand.
Posted by Cheetah 3 years ago
Cheetah
Try not to be too metaphorical or at least define it.
Posted by msheahan99 3 years ago
msheahan99
If you where to throw a lot of people into a river then yes we'd be exactly like stones thrown in a river
Posted by msheahan99 3 years ago
msheahan99
In soviet russia, stones throw you in the river