Are we letting technology control us?

Being on our phones all the time can affect us from speaking to the people near us. For example, it we can"t find something rather than asking someone we look it up with one click on a button. In my opinion After high school We tend to lose touch with our friends and to stay connected we need Technology. Also, if we continue using technology libraries and bookstores will be effected and the people will be laid off. I think with the help of technology students have to opportunity to work from home not waist gas or miles on their cars. Also students being able to get their textbook online or even downloading a PDF version, students don"t have to leave there home to go to a book store. In the end I think it all depends on the person.

As my adversary has failed to define the necessary words, so I'll do it

Technology: machinery and equipment developed from the application of scientific knowledge.

Control: to influence or direct people's behavior or the course of events.

Con's(Against): No, we aren't letting technology control us
Pro's(For) Stand: Yes, we are letting technology control us

First off, here's an advice. Punctuation is very important. There are many occurences where your punctuations made me re-read the whole sentence, as it is very, very confusing.

Also, from your previous argument, you did not clarify anything about whether technology is controlling us or not. You're just presenting the pros and cons of technology, instead of whether we are letting technology control us. Even so, I'll still present why I believe we are indeed letting technology control us.

From the definition above, technology is indeed influencing and directing our behavior. Every time humanity discovers and invent new technology, our behavior also evolves. This is natural, as we are just trying to adap to new discoveries. As the saying goes, "When in Rome, do what the Romans do." Similarly, in the future, adapt to it.

Here are some examples how human has changed. Back then, when humans need knowledge, they would seek advice from a wise man, or a sage. When books were discovered, man would head off to the library for knowledge. When the internet was discovered, man changed his behavior and started his search for knowledge on the PC. Note how humans have changed. Their goal remained the same; to seek knowledge, but their methodology evolved as technology evolved.

One of the major technnology that has influenced us a lot is the internet. Instead of reading physical books, we have changed to reading texts online. From watching movies in cinema, we now watch online. From how we used to send letters, we can know Facebook or e-mail our friends. The internet had indeed influenced and change how our lives were.

To end, I'm not saying that technology is bad or good. I'm saying that it has indeed controlled, or influenced how we live greatly. So, in short, technology has indeed influenced and direct our lives, and we are fine to let it control and lead us on towards the future. Thank you.
Posted by whiteflame 6 months ago
>Reported vote: stschiffman// Mod action: Removed<

3 points to Pro (Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: Con's argument confused me. First, he talked about technology laying off librarians, then he talked about student's saving gas not having to go to the library. Con should have taken a side and stuck with it, he/she shouldn't have been going back and forth.

[*Reason for removal*] The voter is required to assess specific arguments made by both sides and not merely assess one side's points.
Posted by PepePopo2012 6 months ago
I think you should make your point clearer. What do you exactly mean with "technology controlling us?" for example, if you consider how highly depending we are on electricity, you could say technology is in fact controlling our lives. The collapse of an entire city power supply (for example by detonating an atomic bomb in space and producing a strong EMP) would probably end in a lots of chaos. If by technology you mean the latest "invention" like mobile devises used to communicate with people, or if by technology you mean the internet, etc.