Twain
gamet9

Are we living in a true democracy? (US)

gamet9 has forfeited round #1.

Twain

Con

Are we living in a true democracy? A debatable and arguable question with a very wide range of views.
My opinion is that we do not live in a real democracy. I will support my claim during three rounds. I shall adress several arguments regarding the fundamentals of a true democracy, the election process and why a representative government is not really in our favour

'Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.'
H. L. Mencken
Posted by Twain 8 months ago
Twain
The US actually IS a democratic republic, like most other modern nations. And yes, you are right, the US is a republic and that means that elected individuals are ruling the country. This means that a republic can be a democracy as well as an aristocracy. Get your facts straight.
Posted by Sarah9019a 8 months ago
Sarah9019a
The USA is a republic, not a democracy...
Posted by Kycam1 8 months ago
Kycam1
Bad topic. The US is not a democracy. Its a Republic, it is irrefutable fact. Maybe rephrase the debate to, "Is democrat the best kind of government", based off you first argument.