Are we living in the matrix?

Though I am picking "Pro" side of this debate, I do NOT formally believe we are living in the matrix. I am simply presenting arguments as to the possibility that we are living in the matrix.

First though, I need to clarify a few words and their definitions for this argument:

When I say "Matrix", I am referring to a computer generated existence that is molded around our lives. Not the movie specifically.

When I say "computer", I mean some sort of unknown device (not necessarily electronic) that simulates our reality through programming.

When I say "existence" or "reality", I am referring to the world around us and what we consider as normal (our everyday lives basically)

When I say "Know", "Knowledge" or "what we think we know", I am referring to our awareness of something through observation or thought.

And finally, when I say "Code" or "Program", I am referring to instructions that dictate how that particular thing (usually particle) will act in our reality.

Alright, so let me begin:

There are plenty of odd phenomena that may point toward us living within the realms of a simulated reality. For instance, atoms always create a certain type of element respective to that atom structure (for instance, one proton and electron atom will always create hydrogen, and never somethings else).

Because of this rigid rule, it would seem that atoms are programmed to create different types of elements respective to their structure, almost like a code!

Furthermore, there are other odd physics laws such as the speed of light, which goes exactly 299792458 metres per second and is constant in a vacuum and nothing can go faster than it. Why is this law in place? It would seem this too is programmed into our reality!

Even more creepy is the double slit experiment in quantum mechanics! I can't be bothered wasting character room to explain the experiment, so here is a Wikipedia page and video explaining it:

[Wiki page]

As you can see, the double slit experiment shows that by our observation of a particle, we change which direction that particle will go through, and how it will act!

Even weirder is the act of KNOWING which path the particle will also take also affects its path!

Another experiment (called the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser Experiment or DCQE) confirmed this, which is explained in this video here:

As you can see, the world around us is influenced by our knowledge of it! Could this seem any more like a computer simulation!? The experiment suggests that our reality is affected by what we know about it, and therefore our reality is subject to what we think we know about it!

If reality is subject to what we think we know about it, then we might very well be simply brains in vats, with reality molded around what we think it is! Our very consciousness affects the world around us!

Schrodingers Cat is a thought experiment that can also make this even more mysterious!

This website will explain it further:

As you can see, this thought experiment states that our reality is indeed affected by our conscious thoughts! The world around us is unknown is every possibility until observed!

So what do we have here? We know that atoms always create certain elements respective to their structure, like a code!

Furthermore, laws such as the speed of light are also seemingly set at a specific speed and cannot be changed (that is, nothing can go faster than light), again like a code or program is dictating it!

And finally, quantum physics shows that reality is directly dictated by what we think we know.

Are we living in a computer simulation or matrix? Good luck to who ever my opponent will be!

see how your breathing.

What is that supposed to mean? Please don't tell me you accepted this debate to be a troll...

just your debate is stupid you like a movie to much so you decide to be an idiot with your logic and understanding.

If you thought so, why did you accept it? You must be quite an imbecile to think a topic is stupid and then accept the debate! Another sensible guy who was about to accept it before you got in and ruined it. Many philosophers have also said similar things, so to say it's stupid is also calling many other philosophers stupid. The very point of philosophy is to study and think about our existence. If you find anything out of the box stupid than your against any sort of originality. Thanks for nothing.

ilee24 forfeited this round.

AWSM0055 forfeited this round.

ilee24 forfeited this round.
Posted by Akhenaten 11 months ago
The universe is a computer matrix in terms of ones, zeros, space + enter. Left spin, right spin and no spin. Positive, negative and neutral.
Posted by AWSM0055 11 months ago
You're pretty spot on. This is, again, more of a thought experiment than a serious debate so the debate is not going to be that serious. More on the fun side of things.

I'm not a physicist at all actually, not even a real scientist, but I read a lot of science articles so watch out, here I come! :D
Posted by ithink-ithink 11 months ago
Oh for everyone who has posted comments, I think what pro was getting at is, is it possible, considering observable phenomena and the nature of programs/computers, that we could be in the matrix. Do they fit?

Or am I wrong pro?
Posted by ithink-ithink 11 months ago
I think people on this site are a bit harsh sometimes... but I'm new so what do I know. I understand what you're getting at, and I'd like to debate the topic but I'm sleepy. I'll check back tomorrow, and if no one's taken the bait, I'll have at it.

My brother is a programmer and I'm a scientist so I think I'll have some fun with this topic. Just from a cursory read though, I think you've misunderstood some of those scientific theories. I don't know if you just phrased it incorrectly, but it sounds a bit off. If you're a physicist, correct me if I'm wrong though.
Posted by AWSM0055 12 months ago
*Sigh* no, when I say "Matrix", I mean graphical representation of our reality (what our five senses feel etc etc etc)

I'm debating whether we are living in a programmed computer simulation or such. I use examples of code in our universe to indicate that we are a programmable universe, like the matrix. I'm not using e dictionary definition of 'matrix', I'm using my own.
Posted by N3ONoZEDoMASTER 12 months ago
So to be clear, we're not necessarily debating the existence of a "Matrix," but whether or not we have free will?
Posted by canis 12 months ago
I know that some people are looking fore the "prime mover" or a "infinite substance" Or "a matrix"..I eat because i am hungry, (enzymes/hormones)...I sh.. because of my prime movers..That is a good working matrix...
Posted by canis 12 months ago
No. i was not sarcastic. It is not religion..I do not believe DNA is "another code". It is the code of existence that point to itself. But of course existence/ life is a product of the universe. Had the universe been different. life would not exist..Or with a totally different code...
Posted by AWSM0055 12 months ago
I'm not entirely sure whether your being sarcastic or not, but that is another good point. DNA is another code in our universe that may point to a matrix...

Again, I don't think I believe in it, but it's nice though experiment.
Posted by canis 12 months ago
I think we are living in a matrix that concist of A= adenin. T=thymin. C=cytosin. G=guamin. How they are ordered determins if you can live from sunlight and rain. Or have to kill a cow.
Vote Placed by famousdebater 11 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: More forfeits by Con. No direct rebuttals are provided by Con and therefore Pro's R1 arguments remain standing.