Are we losing our privacy

This question has been on my mind since a long time. I for one feel that we are losing our privacy rather quickly and would like to hear arguments that counter it.

The debating order
Round 1- I would like to hear my contenders remarks on the topic.
Round 2 & 3-The Debate
Round 4 - Closing Statements

First, one must examine the reasons why society is losing a sense of privacy. Are we losing is consensually? Is the internet a gateway in others lives? Well, if the internet were a significant means for loss of privacy it was most likely caused by the person releasing information. Of course, some people engage in illegal activities such as identity theft and fraud, however if we focus on legal forms of privacy loss we can truly get to the root of this issue. Websites such as Facebook, Formspring, YouTube, Myspace, MSN, and countless other social networking sites that display personal information publically, enables others to lose privacy. So, if we are losing privacy it is our own fault in this sense. Other privacy loss may not be given up willfully. For example, cities like New York and Los Angeles are filled with hundreds of thousands of video cameras that are accessible to government officials at local, state, and national levels. This advancement of technology may have caused our lives to become more public, yes, but in a changing and increasingly challenging world, we must alter our traditional values to survive in a modern world. Privacy loss in this sense is due to issues in security and crime. In a utopian society, there would be no need for such things but there would also be no need for privacy if the world and its inhabitants were inherently perfect. This is not the case. We give up our privacy and other times we allow it to be violated. We are only losing our privacy as fast as we are willing to give it up. I thank you for bringing up the interesting topic of discussion/debate. I look forward to your response and hope that my arguments simply provoke thought. Thank you.

You have brought up 2 significant points - internet security and the feeling of insecurity.

Internet Security.

As far back as 1890, Louis D. Brandeis and Samuel D. Warren warned of the dangers that technology posed for privacy: "Instantaneous photographs and newspaper enterprise have invaded the sacred precincts of private and domestic life; and numerous mechanical devices threaten to make good the prediction that ‘what is whispered in the closet shall be proclaimed from the house-tops'."

For example you get an embarrassing photo taken at a party. A decade ago, there would have been an assumption that it might be circulated among friends. But now the assumption is that it may well end up on the internet and be viewed by strangers. It is not only you but also your friends & colleagues who may upload such information with or without your consent. Many times there isn't an option to customize your privacy settings on networking sites.There are also various companies which keep vast databases of their customers many a times without the consent or knowledge of the user.

let me give 3 examples to show how insecurity has led the breach of Privacy.

1.The FBI appears to have begun using a novel form of electronic surveillance in criminal investigations: remotely activating a mobile phone's microphone and using it to eavesdrop on nearby conversations.
The technique is called a "roving bug". This leads to all kinds of questions about privilege (you know, lawyer/client - doctor/patient - husband/wife, stuff like that) and the potential abuses.

2.Next we have security screening at airports. The TSA has just given me another reason to hate airports. I love to fly, but hate getting to the plane. It is the part about being treated guilty until proving yourself innocent that gets my goat.
They have gone a step ahead with the 360 degree x-ray scanner.which basically reveals everything but in blue.So, who wants to bet on who gets randomly screened the most - Busty babes, or men of Middle Eastern decent between the ages of 20 and 35? My money is on the babes.

3.Surveillance cams an be misused & pose a threat to privacy.

We have observed what happens when societies turn to inappropriate intrusion into private life, into concentrating on
security and intelligence, into making every third person into a spy on everyone from their own family to those that
they work and live amongst. We saw it on the other side of the Iron Curtain. And it didn't work there because the
human spirit realized there was a better way of conducting our societies, one that does not protect us from every single risk, one that has required us to take responsibility and some courage, but one through which the human
spirit survives and indeed thrives. It is not about reducing any of our human expectations. raising our game and raising our respect for humanity and human rights and, through�that,�raisin

I'm sorry I cannot argue that society is losing privacy. It would be unnecessary. As aforementioned, I can only examine the causes that result in loss of privacy and I have come to the conclusion that "we" are the cause. There is nothing left to explain. People are inherently stupid. The end.

Since my opponent has clearly conceded to the fact that he cannot argue on the topic of debate, i.e; society is losing its privacy, it is only fair that you vote for pro.
Bigizzle93, the discussion you started about "Are people responsible for the loss of their own privacy" is a good debatable topic.
Hopefully we will have time to discuss it in another debate.

biggizzle93 forfeited this round.

Lojicz forfeited this round.

biggizzle93 forfeited this round.
Posted by biggizzle93 6 years ago
There really is nothing to debate other than why privacy is lost. I do not exactly know why I have indulged this debate. Sorry, I meant absence of one.
Posted by Cody_Franklin 6 years ago
"I am actually the sole resident of a hidden island in the pacific. I was lucky enough to find a crate containing a solar generator, a top-of-the-line PC, and a DIY, long-distance Wi-Fi kit on the beach. I would like to say, for the record, that I have ultimate privacy here on the island, since my only connection to the outside world is this computer; ergo, 'we' are not 'all' losing our privacy; ergo, the resolution is negated."
Posted by Ore_Ele 6 years ago
I don't think there is much of a debate here.

we could debate whether or not the loss of privicy is ultimately benefitial to the people.
Posted by Koopin 6 years ago
Who is "our"?
Posted by Volkov 6 years ago
Someone should take this and argue "we never had it to begin with."
Posted by Koopin 6 years ago
Vote Placed by Awed 6 years ago