Ossan004
Ash_RationalTheist

Are we slaves to the subliminal?

Ash_RationalTheist

Ossan004

Pro

As my first debate on this website I would like to argue something that for me seems very obvious. The fact that we on a daily basis get pummeled with ads and subliminal messaging is obvious, but what are the real implications of this? How deeply does the constant stream of external information affect us and can anyone deny that the human race is slowly loosing parts of its individuality?

Since English is not my first language and this is my first debate i figured I would pick an easy one, I challenge someone to debate this with me and perhaps enlighten me.
Ash_RationalTheist

Con

Hey there...

Please Present your points in the next round and also elaborate on the topic.

Waiting for Round #2
Ossan004

Pro

Is our constant exposure to media and advertising taking away from our individuality?

You see an advertisement on the way to work, you may not even stop to read it or look at it twice, but out of the corner of your eye you see the coca-cola logotype. You may see it 20 times on the short journey from your home to your workplace. When you later during your lunch break enter the nearest convenience store to buy a beverage how big of an impact will the subconscious, subliminal marketing campaign have had on you?

I argue that humans as a species have an incredible gift of taking in information, our subconscious is constantly working and even though we may not realize it, chances are we are gonna grab the coca-cola instead of the unknown brand of soda that might be cheaper and perhaps might even suit our taste better. This is of course a rushed example to outline the thesis of my argument, but it can be applied to most aspects of our lives.

I would argue that the prolonged exposure to advertisements and main-stream media is taking away from our individuality. If we would instead make all of our decisions based on experience or self-researched information we would have an easier time to self actualize and step into our roles as individuals.
Ash_RationalTheist

Con

Well i think there's nothing to debate because i am very much similar views. The materialistic world view is enslaving us.
Indeed but we can choose to detach ourselves. Though its difficult. Simple Life is the key to happiness .
Living in the material world and trying to stay fixed in self is a mammoth task. Its better to fix our self on something higher, God rather than simply repressing things
Ossan004

Pro

Ossan004 forfeited this round.
Ash_RationalTheist

Con

Even though there's very much glamourization of products and indeed its making some people enslaved to it. But that doesn't mean that we should let our self submit to it.

We should not act on our instincts but through intellectual conviction!

Thus we're not slaves to the subliminal unless we willfully choose to.

Waiting for Pro's Round 4 Argument!

Vote 'Con'
Ossan004

Pro

Ossan004 forfeited this round.
Ash_RationalTheist

Con

Ash_RationalTheist forfeited this round.
Posted by Vajrasattva-LeRoy 2 years ago
Vajrasattva-LeRoy
The answer to your question is NO".
Scientists have apparently decided that subliminals don't work automatically.
Nobody's a slave to subliminals, etc. , nor are we losing our individuality.
You're apparently using a Logical Fallacy for your Coca-Cola example.
It's called "Post hoc ergo propter hoc" - "After this because of this. "
Just because somebody buys a Coke after being bombarded by Coca-Cola commercials
doesn't mean that the commercials caused him to buy it.
Cost, taste, etc. , are something else again.
Vote Placed by Ajabi 2 years ago
Ajabi
Ossan004Ash_RationalTheistTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF from Pro, as Pro had the BoP, and could never defend his original statements properly, I vote Con.
Vote Placed by YYW 2 years ago
YYW
Ossan004Ash_RationalTheistTied