Are we too dependent on computers?

We use computers a lot, because it helps us to do many works easily. It helps us find out and analyze any kind of information. Nowadays people use computers in business, public services, education and most of all in entertainment.
there are some advantages and disadvantages for using computers. In my opinion, I think that we should use computers but not that much. In addition, using computers can affect badly in our life. It can cause many diseases like eye diseases.
Computers and other developments of technology are useful and there is no possibility to live without them nowadays, as we got too much used to them. However, we should also work to find the ways of making our dependence on technology less dangerous for us.

So, what do you think about dependent on computers?

Since Pro was ambiguous about the nature of the resolution as well as the rules, I will offer the following clarification:

RESOLVED: Society has become too dependent on computers.
Pro will argue in favor of the motion.
Con will argue against the motion.

For the purposes of this debate "too dependent" can be defined as "the average person would experience net benefits by reducing his or her reliance on computers."

Burden of proof is shared. First round is for acceptance. Opening arguments will be made in round 2, followed by rebuttal/conclusions in round 3.

Good luck to my opponent, I look forward to an enjoyable discussion.

Ala.Sati forfeited this round.

calculatedr1sk forfeited this round.

Ala.Sati forfeited this round.

I had originally thought to forget about this one and just tie the debate out once my opponent had disappeared. I figured that probably no one would be interested enough to vote, but even if they did, it would feel like too easy of a win. But after researching the forums, I saw that this happens all the time and realized that I should just take the win and not stress it. Even so, I'd rather feel as if I've earned it, so I will attempt to offer readers at least something of the conversation which I had hoped to have. Thank you for your interest.

There are several main points that I think my opponent might have brought up, and which I will do my best to counter.

Loss of Connection with Others
The argument is sometimes made that we spend so much time on facebook, emailing, and texting, that we miss out on really connecting with the person sitting in front of us. The problem with this line of argument is that loneliness is hardly a phenomenon unique to the 21st century! Throughout history, how many novelists and poets have written of their isolation, how many painter's have expressed their dark sadness on canvas? If only our poor ancestors had had access to youtube cat memes, perhaps their lives wouldn't have turned out so glum.

If that last line made you chuckle, consider that without computers you'd have never been exposed to it. You and I would have no ability to connect at all, even if that connection is less satisfying than a face to face conversation might be. But if face to face were so much better, why are we not out at a coffee shop or a bookstore having a conversation with other people right now? Well perhaps the problems with those conversations sometimes outweigh their benefits. Suppose you don't want to deal with the pretentiousness of your friends this evening, or the drama and gossip that they always have going on, or whatever. Computers open a new world - perhaps not an intrinsically better one, but at least one that we have the choice of entering or leaving at our own leisure.

Too Much Time
Or do we? What about those who become addicted to surfing the net, or playing video games, and things like that. Well, I myself used to be pretty heavily addicted to computer games. I'm talking about to the point where I would play for 12 hours a day! But I wasn't just playing because I love to play, I was playing to escape stresses and troubles in my life. Had there not been computer games, maybe I would have used drugs or drank, maybe I would have watched TV, maybe I would have collected stamps; who knows? The point is, when we're ready to unplug, we will. Maybe that time came for my opponent. But for society as a whole, that probably isn't a necessary or helpful thing to do. It is so much faster to research on the internet, and you are able to be exposed to so many more incredible ideas than you could be otherwise. alone is enough to prove that using your time on the computer can be a better way to spend time than your alternatives!

Computers are a Tool.
In the end, it is up to us to regulate how we spend our time. Computers are a tool that outperforms the alternatives, so to ask if we are too dependent on computers is a bit like asking "are we too dependent on cars?" as if to imply "maybe we should we go back to horses."

My friends, I contend no. We are not too dependent on computers.

Posted by BennyW 3 years ago
On a related not I did a search and it says there are 23 Amish members but none of them have been on in months.
Posted by sagacity 3 years ago
so what side are you on?
Posted by SaintMichael741 3 years ago
I would love to take this argument but what would the con side be arguing? It's not really clear. Is it that there is no problem using computers or what?