Sandsnake7
Edisntson

Are we truly alone?

Sandsnake7

Con

If space truly is infinite than I believe we are bound to not be the only ones in this dimension of ours we may never find them but they are out there.
Edisntson

Pro

It's impossible to know without evidence but given the vastness of the universe and how we haven't even come close to discovering 90% of it chances are we are not alone. If Jelly Fish lived on Mars they'd be considered Aliens, its just impractical to think that out of the billions of stars and planets we are the only other lifeform or intelligent lifeform in existence.

That being said any Alien race that has the technology to reach us chances are has no interest in connecting with us because it views us as primitive, its like going to a zoo with 7.25 billion monkeys, whats the point? Even if they did reach us it'd be like the Europeans Americans and the Indians throughout most of the past 500 years, except we'd be the Indians.
Sandsnake7

Con

Thx I don't know how to shut it down soooooooo
Edisntson

Pro

Edisntson forfeited this round.
Sandsnake7

Con

Sandsnake7 forfeited this round.
Edisntson

Pro

Edisntson forfeited this round.
Posted by Sandsnake7 2 years ago
Sandsnake7
How do I end it?
Posted by Sandsnake7 2 years ago
Sandsnake7
K thx this is pointless so ill shut it down
Posted by crswong888 2 years ago
crswong888
90%??? NOOOO WAY. Far too generous. First of all its impossible to know how much of the universe we have discovered since we don't actually know the FINITE limits to the universe (if they even exist). Second, we barely have touched a fraction of a percentage of our own single galaxy. Furthermore, we don't even know what the entire ocean floor looks like! So how much of the universe have we "discovered?" I'd say .0000000000000(to infinity zero's)1%. Maybe.
Posted by Edisntson 2 years ago
Edisntson
lol i fucked up, thought i clicked con my b, anyways, i mean its still impossible to know so my b
Posted by AndyHood 2 years ago
AndyHood
I wouldn't say that it's not good - it just, perhaps, lacks a little direction...

Do you want a Pro to be arguing the case that there is no other intelligent life out there? I'm sure that there will be some theists ready to take up that case on religious grounds, but is that the sort of debate that you want?

Are you trying to win over any gentle readers from believing that we are alone to accepting your suggestion that we aren't? Is this going to be a debate over the Drake equation?
Posted by Sandsnake7 2 years ago
Sandsnake7
What I want from an opponent is their opinion on the matter.To answer your question.
Posted by Sandsnake7 2 years ago
Sandsnake7
It's my 1st debate so I know it's not good.
Posted by Sandsnake7 2 years ago
Sandsnake7
There is also the possibility there are things the government doesn't tell us.Probably for a good reason too.They probably don't want people panicking.Alien movies leave a bad impression you know what I mean.
Posted by AndyHood 2 years ago
AndyHood
Hard to see the value of the debate. I personally agree with you almost entirely: I think that it's extremely likely (>99.9%) that there is other intelligent life out there and I also think that it's extremely unlikely (<0.1%) that we will ever make two-way-contact (perhaps a little more likely - say 1% - that we will one day have evidence of such). I could argue with your definition of the resolution - since if we never make contact then we are alone in any meaningful sense of the word (I'm not sure what "truly" means in this context): if somebody was put in solitary confinement in the middle of a huge dessert in a holding cell with food and water and a waste disposal system (but no form of communication and a military guarded perimeter at greater than visual distance with anti-aircraft guns), would they be "truly alone"? I would say so, thus I say that we are probably "truly alone" in any meaningful sense (even though I believe that there are others out there... just so far out there that they might as well not be there!)

What do you want from any opponent in this debate?
Posted by Sandsnake7 2 years ago
Sandsnake7
Any answer is a right answer it is all about your opinion.No judgement will come from me.Don't feel obligated to agree with me.