lawyerflash12
blackkid

Are we way too dependent on technology?

lawyerflash12

Pro

Yes, we are way too dependent on technology! Think about it! Too much people are becoming addictive to technology! You see young kids having ipads and technology already! Isn't that insane?! I'M SICK OF SEEING PEOPLE WITH SO MUCH PHONES AND YOUNG KIDS WITH TECH!
blackkid

Con

I propose that while this is specifically about electronic technology instead of general technological innovations by-and-large humans are still not "too dependent" on modern technology and as a matter of fact do most if not all of their essential functions without it on a regular basis.

"Use" and "Usefulness" are two totally different things, and with that stated, I secondarily claim that "use" is common but "usefulness" is not necessarily a by-product of use relating to technology in the modern era. Instead of stating that technological dependence is a problem I assert that the problem lies in the items manufactuered by those who would make empires being the issue.

As a centralized example I'd use Twitter or Facebook saying that the addiction to these resources is less to do with the technology that makes them possible and the basis of these enities which is the natural state of humans as a social species and the desire for sociological acceptance. On that front it could be then stated that technology is not the issue at all.
lawyerflash12

Pro

As you can see, I am not really a fan of technology. Nor am I a "social media freak." I barely watch T.V on school days, since I'm always wrapped up on my homework and violin lessons. I hate the fact that this world is consumed by technology. I know that technology provides you all the needs. But there are consequences and more will come. By the way, don't trust the computer that much because there are problems that comes with trusting the computer. For example, hacking, and misleading. Back to the actual subject, I DO BELIEVE THAT WE ARE TOO DEPENDENT ON TECHNOLOGY.

So what do you think, defender of the CON/PRO.
blackkid

Con

Computers are just machines, neither good nor bad, and malicious persons etc. are what decide how a tool is used. You speak of the evils of technology but your practice book was printed using the same computerized technology unless all of your primers are handwritten. The reality is that, even now, you reap far more than you would think; you've access to the top world's dictionaries, school papers and documents you'd never get otherwise, news from other countries you'd never hear, and even debate.org for opinions you may not eve really be able to share.

Your decision not to use certain types of technology for certain uses is fine, and not even surprising, but technophobia being expressed in a debate on the internet is a little ironic. Fostering paranoia of machinery and even non-digital technology is extremely dangerous simply because all human progress is based entirely on their technological advancements. Whether it's the houses we live in, the desks we sit at, the chairs we sit on, or the complex computers we use the basic reality is that it was all made, bought, delivered, assembled, or otherwise handled using modern computerized technology.

This only brings me to think that if a man was stabbed with a screwdriver saying "all screwdrivers are evil" would make sense to Pro.
lawyerflash12

Pro

lawyerflash12 forfeited this round.
Posted by lawyerflash12 2 years ago
lawyerflash12
BTW, I believe that you've won this argument. Congrats "blackkid." ALSO, nice use of language in your arguments. After all, you're older than me.