NoRiceForU
gomergcc

Are women oppressed relative to men in the United States? Pro = Yes Con = No

gomergcc

NoRiceForU

Con

It's fine guys! Women are totes not oppressed in the US!
gomergcc

Pro

Women are still oppressed in the US. They are still widley seen as sex objects, abused, and have to fight harder for the some opportunities. We have come a long way but things are not equal yet.
NoRiceForU

Con

That is true. But I said relative to men. Men are also oppressed in many ways. For example it is much easier for a women to get a job in STEM-related fields. It is a different kind of oppression, but still oppression nonetheless. Therefore women are not oppressed relative to men.
gomergcc

Pro

I was under the impression that round one was acceptance and opening statement.

Men are also oppressed in many ways.

If men are oppressed in so many ways why is it that you only name one? One that I will show you men are not oppressed but in fact women are. The only men I can even think of that are oppressed simply for there gender are men like me that want to be homemakers and stay at home parents. This is by far a minority of men.

For example it is much easier for a women to get a job in STEM-related fields.

My opponent gives no evidence of this; however I will show how women are oppressed when in comes to STEM-related fields.

Long before a woman has a job in these fields a woman has had to fight just to get the needed skills. If you walk around in you local toy store it clear. Almost every single toy for girls is about being a home maker and raising kids. For boys you have many different toys geared for learning math, science and engineering. While there is some toy makers staring to lead the way in changing this still most of these toys are still on selves that read for boys. That does that tell a girl that these subjects are not for her. Even after a woman as passed though all the red type to get the training and land the job she is still oppressed. Women are passed over for promotions for men, even in STEM-related fields aimed at women. While women in these fields make but about equal, or more, of lower level management as you move up in they company there is less and less of a percentage of women. To the every top were only 4.8% of CEOs are women. On top of that she will be paid less. The amount less ranges from 9% less in D.C., to 34% less in Louisiana.

http://www.aauw.org...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

http://www.newstatesman.com...

Therefore women are not oppressed relative to men

I again ask how men are oppressed? At one time men had 100% of the power and women were 100% oppressed. We have made many leaps in equiality since then. I would say men still have 60% of the power leaving women only 10% oppressed. This does not make men oppressed. This is the same “Hypothesis Contrary To Fact” argument that says white people, straight people, and Christians are oppressed. As others gain the rights and freedoms they should have had in the first place the groups that once oppressed will get less and less until there is a balance reached. This is not oppression.

NoRiceForU

Con

NoRiceForU forfeited this round.
gomergcc

Pro

I take it that my opponent as no rebuttal.
NoRiceForU

Con

NoRiceForU forfeited this round.
gomergcc

Pro

Here is an intresting article on the subject.

NoRiceForU

Con

NoRiceForU forfeited this round.
gomergcc

Pro

My opponent has forfeited this debate and I just want to clear it out of my notices
Posted by devourer51 2 years ago
devourer51
Wow, you sir are a typical male suck-up. You suck up to women because you think it will help you look good, and you think it will get you on their good side. Here are some of my reasons as to why you don't know a damn thing about women being oppressed relative to men.

Women have more social rights, and they always will. WHY?
1 Women don't have to register for Selective Service.

2 Men are much more likely to be killed in the workplace.

3 If a man and a woman apply for the same job and they are equally qualified, the woman will get it because they are the minority.

4 If a man and a woman are married and both love their children and treat their children the same, when they get divorced, the woman will get the children because she is their mother, and if she was a stay at home mother, she can get alimony on top of the guaranteed child support.

5 If a man and a woman get into a fight and it gets physical, the man will get sent to jail for domestic violence.

6 If a man and a woman are both equally attractive but equally shy, the woman will have a much, much higher chance for finding a partner because society has taught men to be the ones to approach females, and it has taught us that shyness in women is desirable.

7 If you log onto a dating site, 70% of the population is single males. Again, this is because society has dictated that shy men are worthless in comparison to shy women.

8 Finally, any time a woman gets special treatment, it's considered a "perk", and anytime a woman doesn't get what she wants.... aka, a job, or a promotion, she can just blame it on the "male society" and call us bigots.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
NoRiceForUgomergccTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by awr700 2 years ago
awr700
NoRiceForUgomergccTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeiture