nobleislandbag
DivaExcel

Are women paid less for the same job?

nobleislandbag has forfeited round #4.
Updated: 2 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

nobleislandbag

Con

First round is just for accpeting and stating your position
Second round is where you build you argument
Third is for any counter arguments you may have
Fourth is the "last shot" round

Very interested to see what the pro side has to say on this issue.
DivaExcel

Pro

I accept your challenge and I support this notion.
nobleislandbag

Con

Very well.

The wage gap is a myth. At least, in the sense in which it is portrayed. Advocates of "equal pay" bring forth the argument that for every dollar a man makes a woman makes 79 cents. At least, this is the most popular ratio. And although I'm sure you have heard this argument numerous times, this number fails to bring into account the many choices that women make in their lifetimes. Georgetown University put together a list of the top five highest paying college majors and of the top 5 lowest paying college majors. The result? Four out of the five highest paying college majors were dominated by men, and four out of the five lowest were dominated by women. Why? Because women choose these majors.

The American Association of University Women, a feminist organization, stated that the wage gap shrinks to 6 cents when taking into account the choices the women make in their lifetimes. The U.S. Department of Labor itself said that the wage gap is almost entirely based upon the individual choices women make, and this was after reviewing numerous peer reviewed studies. These choices include choices of majors (as previously stated), choosing to take time off of work for childcare, choosing lower paying jobs, less dangerous jobs, less time worked overtime, etc. And these aren't blind statements either. Each is backed up by reasonable statistics that are impossible to misinterpret.

I am not sexist, and I'm not a misogynist. I am just stating the fact that if you work the same, you'll get paid the same.
DivaExcel

Pro

Regarding what you said about women choosing the majors, they choose the majors because they can't handle the pressure put upon them to compete against men.

Even if women do choose these higher paying job/majors, they could be pressured by their bosses to sleep with them before they can get equal pay.

It also depends on the job, the position and the boss. A male and female engineer could be paid differently if the boss is partial or if one is putting in more effort than the other. They could also be paid differently if the society they're in does not consider the female as someone worthy enough to have equal rights and equal pay.
nobleislandbag

Con

They choose the majors because they can't handle the pressure put upon them to compete against men

If you are saying women can't handle pressure, it seems you are denigrating the value and will of women. If you are saying that women are pressured into lower paying majors, that simply isn't true. The competition with men simply is in favor of women. Women are being accepted into colleges and universities at a greater rate than men. This shows that the pressure simply isn't there. Let's put this into perspective. A woman chooses a major that has a lot of men vs women. The woman is smarter than a lot of them. Therefore, she feels little competitive pressure. Let's say this woman is not very bright. She feels the pressure of the competition now. Is this the result of sexism? No. It is purely intelligence based, and is just competition against other scholars. Now I'm not saying women are dumber. Females have statistically higher grades than their male counterparts. But to infer that they can't handle the pressure or that they are being pressured into choosing lower paying majors is wrong.

This is a senseless claim with no evidence to back it up. I refuse to respond to it.

It also depends on the job, the position and the boss.

Yes, and this same statement applies to men.

A male and female engineer could be paid differently if the boss is partial or if one is putting in more effort than the other.

Again, I fail to see how this strengthens your argument. If a female engineer puts in more effort she will be paid more than her male counterpart.

They could also be paid differently if the society they're in does not consider the female as someone worthy enough to have equal rights and equal pay.

Please excuse me for not mentioning this earlier, but the argument is mainly dealing with the U.S.. I am fairly certain that corruption is far more prevalent in some other countries.

Also another point I forgot to mention earlier: If women are really paid less than men for the same job why aren't corporations hiring more women than men? Isn't their main goal to make money?
DivaExcel

Pro

If this is mainly dealing with the U.S., it should have been explained and stated clearly. I, personally, am only aware of this topic within West Africa. I know nothing about this topic when it comes to the U.S. So apparently, all my answers are going to be based on what I know.
Posted by nobleislandbag 2 weeks ago
nobleislandbag
Debate is ended here.
Posted by nobleislandbag 2 weeks ago
nobleislandbag
Debate is ended here.
Posted by DivaExcel 2 weeks ago
DivaExcel
@noblelandisbag No problem. It's okay
Posted by Stonehe4rt 2 weeks ago
Stonehe4rt
Yeah I was confused a bit when I read the debate. I was like, no one could force a woman to sleep with him for equal money, that is illegal! But if your from a different country then I don't know about those laws.

Just goes to show how good America is and how much people take it for granted.
Posted by nobleislandbag 2 weeks ago
nobleislandbag
Very sorry to DivaExcel if I didn't clarify that the argument's basis is referring to the U.S. I see you live in Nigeria.
Posted by nobleislandbag 2 weeks ago
nobleislandbag
I should have probably spell checked those two typos in the first round welp.