Are you for or against gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgenders?

I am for gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender people because there is nothing wrong with it. If the world was mainly gay people and there were some straight people, why should they have to keep it a secret and act like everyone else? Think about it: being straight and having to marry someone of the same sex, having sex with them and living with them as your lover for who knows how long. People shouldn't have to be afraid to "come out of the closet" and tell people that they are gay. Gays shouldn't be judged, turned away, or shunned for being gay, just like straight people shouldn't be judged, turned away, or shunned for being straight. I'm for gays and gay marriage because gay people should be happy just like straight people are.

First of all I would thank Zebracakes for contesting this argument. I really have three major points for my debate:
1. Not a single one of the major religions are for single sex marriage.

If you look at all of the major religions of the world (Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, or Hinduism) not a single one of them are supporting single sex marriage. In the Qu'ran it says " For ye practice your lusts on men in preference to women: ye are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds." This is saying that if you are practicing homosexuality you are committing a crime greater than any other,

2. It is contrary to human instinct.

Homosexuality is a choice. It is not determined at birth (genetics makes that very clear). It contradicts basic human/animal instinct. Every species has evolved so that it can efficiently produce more of its own kind while surviving for as long as possible. The instinct to have sex (and thus continue the existence of the species is present in all animals). Gayness is contrary to this basic principle of animal existence.
It is almost like suicide in that, just as suicide is contrary to survival instinct, it is contrary to reproductive instinct. Additionally, if all organism in a given species exhibited gayness, the species would die, not as quickly as if they all killed themselves, but it would die nonetheless. I'm not saying gayness is as bad as suicide, but the similarities were worth mentioning.

3. There are problems with it biblically and scientifically

Bible: a man shall not lay with a man as with a women
Medically: the nature increases internal damage in men and increases disease transfer in women
Naturally: two dudes can't have a child naturally
Genetically: if being gay was genetic then the majority of twins where one was gay the other would be too. Studies show well less than half of twins with one gay are both gay.
Genetically: if transgenders are your excuse then should she be allowed to cut their legs off because children are born without legs? Should some be allowed to act mentally disabled because someone is born with mental handicaps. Bad excuse.

Okay, I admit it, you made a good argument. I'm not saying that being gay is a choice because it definitely is NOT. Just like being straight is not a choice, it just is. You can't go for counselling or anything else to become straight and vise versa. You can pretend to be straight, but for a lot of people, that would be like hell and worse than suicide. Most people would want to commit suicide if they were/are gay, have told people and was "shunned", or was/is afraid to tell people because they don't know how people would react to that kind of information.

When you think of someone as being gay, do you think it's gross? I know for a fact that gay people don't find thinking of someone as being straight as gross. As for the religion thing, yes many practices are against it, but there are also many that support it. There are GSA's (Gay-Straight Associations) and other organization also. There are actually religions and "churches" that were built specifically for gay people.

About the reproduction and creating more of your species, there are gay animals in ALL species. I've seen dogs (cats and more) of the same sex hump each other and have sex, it may not be vaginal, but it could be anal or oral. For humans, many people get pregnant (whether on purpose or accidentally) that don't want to be parents and put their child(ren) up for adoption. That is the perfect opportunity for gay people to become parents. Maybe it's not their own child that came out of their womb, but at least they have done a good deed and opened their arms for a child. There are also sperm donors for lesbians that want to have children of their own. Gays can still reproduce, whether it's their own child or not.

So you see, being gay might be out of the ordinary to some straight people, but to others, it's a blessing and might mean that they will achieve great things.

I'd like to say thank you to my opponent for debating me. I'd also like to thank any one that comments on this debate and/or votes on it. Both would be greatly appreciated.

In Zebracake's last argument they said that people are born gay, but that is not true. Many of the studies where people say that it shows that you are born gay are misinterpreted.

Some examples:

From the 1991 Hypothalamus (Brain) Study, Simon LeVay, who self-identifies as gay, said: "It's important to stress what I didn't find. I did not prove that homosexuality is genetic, or find a genetic cause for being gay. I didn't show that gay men are born that way, the most common mistake people make in interpreting my work. Nor did I locate a gay center in the brain."
And from the 1991 Twins Study, Richard Pillard " also a gay man " admits: "Although male and female homosexuality appear to be at least somewhat heritable, environment must also be of considerable importance in their origins."
And from the 1993 X Chromosome Study, Dean Hamer " also a gay man " said: "environmental factors play a role. There is not a single master gene that makes people gay;I don't think we will ever be able to predict who will be gay."
And from the 2005 Fruit Fly Study, Barry Dickson, the lead researcher, admitted that the understanding of how innate behaviors are genetically determined is "rudimentary at best." He also admitted that the male-male courtship behaviors they observed probably involved "environmental and social stimuli" and that the female-female courtship behavior was abnormal " missing some key steps.
And what about the 2005 male and 2006 female pheromone studies from Sweden that gay activists claimed were more evidence of a biological basis to homosexuality? (Pheromones are chemicals that can be smelled and are known to influence animal behavior. However, their role in humans is unknown.) Here, it is significant that Ivanka Savic, the lead researcher, said that the 2005 study had nothing to do with proving homosexuality to be biological. And regarding the 2006 study, she said "it is very important to make clear that the study has no implications for possible dynamics in sexual orientation."
More recently, Dr. Francis Collins, head of the Human Genome Project, summed up the research on homosexuality saying that "sexual orientation is genetically influenced but not hardwired by DNA, and that whatever genes are involved represent predispositions, not predeterminations." As a comparison, Collins indicates that the potential genetic component for homosexuality is much less than the genetic contribution that has been found for common personality traits such as general cognitive ability, extroversion, agreeableness, conscientiousness, neuroticism, openness, aggression and traditionalism.
Posted by sidah 9 months ago
Good argument Con....I'm with you.