BangBang-Coconut
alto2osu

Argumenetive Essay Contest

BangBang-Coconut

Pro

Through the course of this debate, both my opponent and I will write three different short argumentative essays. The prompt for each essay will be provided by either opponent before the start of the round. The first, and last rounds will be off the flow in terms of judging, and will be for clarifications, greetings, and comments. Also my opponent should post my essay prompt in the comments section before posting his or her acceptance round. We will both follow this pattern, and post the essay prompts in the comments section.

Also it is important to note, that positions for this debate are meaningless. Either of us may accept the Pro or Con position for our essays based on the given prompt. The prompts given my be silly or serious, the only real rule is that they be clean and appropriate. It is also important the prompts given should be on things that anybody would have access to information to.

This debate, will not be a traditional debate in terms of rebuttals and argument extensions, but will focus more on the arguments made in the essays. Accordingly, when each side writes their essays, the focus will be on creating as persuasive an essay as possible. Not in refuting their opponent's statements.

The format of what is written in these essays should be clear, easy to read, and have solid grammar (punctuation, spelling, organization, etc.) Make sure a thesis statement is included in each essay, but is not awkward or too obviously stated. Remember these are essays, not "speeches".

No debate jargon.

Each essay should be at least 6000 characters in length. And that's the essay itself, not counting sources or comments unrelated to the essay.

If there are any questions or misunderstandings, please let them be made known in the comments section prior to acceptance.
alto2osu

Con

Good evening, and thanks to my opponent for putting forward this unique and interesting debate (of sorts). I found this idea as fascinating as some of the members in the comments, and unlike them, I have no studying to do! Ahhhhh...the joys of being graduate.

I've posted my very silly yet clean and appropriate topic for my opponent in the comments section. Hopefully, I've done a decent job, and the debate goes well!
BangBang-Coconut

Pro

well it would appear I've dug myself into a hole starting another debate I won't have time to do. I'm very sorry to say I'll have to forfeit.
alto2osu

Con

I am sorry to hear of my opponent's forfeit, and I very much hope we can continue this debate/activity at another time. Please don't vote for anyone, as I think a tie is only fair. :)
BangBang-Coconut

Pro

BangBang-Coconut forfeited this round.
alto2osu

Con

alto2osu forfeited this round.
BangBang-Coconut

Pro

BangBang-Coconut forfeited this round.
alto2osu

Con

alto2osu forfeited this round.
BangBang-Coconut

Pro

Goodness, I've messed up this round >->.
Do not vote in a tie, please give all points to my opponent.
I'm sorry for having wasted everyone's time, and puffed up their expectations uselessly.
alto2osu

Con

Everyone misjudges their available time now and again :) I am writing from Belgium at the moment, so I wish my opponent a happy holiday season and hope we can continue this another time.
Posted by alto2osu 5 years ago
alto2osu
Well poo ;( I'm sorry to hear about your time crunch, but I hope we can try again another time. I'll post one more and then we can just let the rounds go to seed, as it were. I encourage anyone who would cast a vote to tie it, and that way we don't tank our records. Best bet is not to vote a all!
Posted by BangBang-Coconut 5 years ago
BangBang-Coconut
each other
Posted by alto2osu 5 years ago
alto2osu
I tried =p So to be clear, are we selecting topics for ourselves, or for EACH OTHER? I don't mind either way, but I certainly don't want to be remiss in my duties :)
Posted by BangBang-Coconut 5 years ago
BangBang-Coconut
Lol, that topic sounds amazing XD, I can't wait to see where this will go.
Posted by alto2osu 5 years ago
alto2osu
This sounds hella fun, so let's do it! I must admit that my first topic will be a silly one. I'm in a very silly mood today.

In a hypothetical death match, who do you believe would come out victorious: Ted Kennedy or Newt Gingrich? Please assume that Ted Kennedy is alive, obviously, and in relatively equal physical condition to Newt (i.e. not on his death bed).
Posted by BangBang-Coconut 5 years ago
BangBang-Coconut
@maninorange Well worst case scenario, you can have this debate with Danielle or someone else? I won't promise one or the other, but as of now I'm still looking for my first opponent :)

@Writer :<
Posted by WriterSelbe 5 years ago
WriterSelbe
I would love to do this so much! But unfortunately, external factors and the minimum word count prevent me from doing so..
Posted by maninorange 5 years ago
maninorange
I am in a position similar to Danielle's. I don't know how many times you're interested in doing this debate, but I think it sounds like a splendid idea, and I'd love to participate after finals are over.
Posted by BangBang-Coconut 5 years ago
BangBang-Coconut
@Maikuru :
@BV So may I assume you are interested :D?

@trawson I believe you have forgotten to include consideration towards the salsa and chips factor.

@Danielle absolutely! I would absolutely love to have this debate with you, challenge me as soon as you're ready!
Posted by Danielle 5 years ago
Danielle
I would love to take this, but can't until finals are over. BangBang, I hope that we can do this sometime in the future. Good luck against your opponent for this debate though, whomever that turns out to be.