espanolproyecto
Contra

Arizona has created a culture of racial bias in the U.S.

Contra

espanolproyecto

Pro

Arizona has created a culture of racial bias in the U.S. through sb1070's attention in the media, Joe Arpaio's excessive racial profiling and publicity stunts, and the encouragement that other cops (on a national level) get from seeing what happens in Arizona.

Contra

Con

Noob snipe.

First and foremost - I WILL LIKELY FORFEIT A ROUND - AND IF I DO, IT IS BECAUSE I VALUE THE NATURAL HUMAN NEED TO SLEEP.

People need to sleep because of many reasons, although the core reason hasn't been determined, although it is likely to refresh your body, refresh your mind, and allow the body to repair itself. [1]

C1: CASE:

"Arizona has created a culture of racial bias in the U.S."

Arizona joined the USA in 1912. [2] Although my opponent may be correct to say that Arizona harbors some racism, the resolution is that it created a culture of racial bias.

Racism has been a stain on America's heritage ever since we started. Consider slavery, which ended in 1865 after the North won the Civil War. Slavery w/ African Americans was certainly a form of racial bias - a bias to ONLY enslave blacks. HOWEVER, Arizona DID NOT EXIST at this time period. Therefore, Arizona DID NOT create a culture of racial bias. We have made steady progress at reducing racial bias in our society (Civil Rights Acts, new Amendments to Constitution, First African American president, equality for all, etc.)

However, my opponent has said that Arizona CREATED a culture of racial bias. Clearly, slavery, segregation, and prevalent racism existed since the nation was formed. It was around before Arizona was a state. Therefore, Arizona DID NOT CREATE A CULTURE OF RACIAL BIAS. Thank you for your time.

Voters, please vote CONtra

[1] http://www.helpguide.org...
[2] http://www.infoplease.com...
espanolproyecto

Pro

espanolproyecto forfeited this round.
Contra

Con

Well I actually got up in time to make this round. Extent arguments.
espanolproyecto

Pro

espanolproyecto forfeited this round.
Contra

Con

I was actually able to post my rounds.

As my opponent has not refuted my claims,

VOTE CONTRA
Posted by espanolproyecto 4 years ago
espanolproyecto
not that i care who wins the debate but this will be good practice for my spanish ia

Arizona HAS created a culture of racial bias in the U.S. mainly through SB1070 and Joe Arpaio's outrageous publicity stunts and absurd violations of the constitution as well as human rights.

Sb1070 created a culture of racial bias by granting police officers in Arizona the power to determine a person's immigration status during a lawful stop, arrest, detainment etc. They are forced to figure it out if there is "reasonable suspicion". Reasonable suspicion can only mean stereotypes, because the only reasonable suspicion that Jan Brewer (who didn't have an answer at all when she signed the law, so how is anyone supposed to follow procedure) or Joe Arpaio have been able to come up with has been if someone is stopped and they have no ID whatsoever. Thats fine, but in that case it would be the police officer's duty to follow up on their identity anyway and the status of immigration would come up whether or not they wanted it to. So thats they excuse they use, the real reason they would question a person's immigration status is if a person fits a stereotype. Arpaio has been accused of the "worst acts of discrimination in history" -Department of Justice. The man has a posse entirely made up of volunteers who are poorly trained and many of whom have the sole intention of catching illegal immigrants. Furthermore he pulls so many publicity stunts like selling pink underwear that he forced inmates to wear (he came out with a spanish version without giving reason for it, gee i wonder if it was because he doesn't like latinos? no you're right it was because he thought it sounded better in spanish yeh thats it.) So Arpaio, by making the national news frequently, has encouraged people to take action against illegals whether theyre police or not.
Now how has this created a culture of bias in the U.S. ? Well after sb1070 was signed, 31 states tried to follow suit and 5 of them succeeded.

BO
Posted by espanolproyecto 4 years ago
espanolproyecto
last comment is exactly correct
and why does it say i forfeited that round? i can't post an argument either
Posted by Anayansi 4 years ago
Anayansi
I think that he has a project for his Spanish class about Arizona/racial profiling. His name means "Spanish Project". He seems to want to get both sides of the issue. That can be a reason why the time to post is so short, he probably wants quick information, not debate.
Posted by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
lol, wow man youve went from praising Joe Arpaio to sh*tting all over him....
Posted by Anayansi 4 years ago
Anayansi
I would take this debate, unfortunately, 3 hours is too short a time to post a round, simply because one has other things to do rather than stay up all night to post the 3 rounds before the deadline expires. If the instigator would be so kind as to change the time to a minimum of 24 hours, I would gladly take it.
Vote Placed by Buddamoose 4 years ago
Buddamoose
espanolproyectoContraTied