Ashok_1453
tajshar2k

Arjuna was the greatest archer in Mahabharat

tajshar2k

Ashok_1453

Pro

Arjuna is the greatest archer. He helped defeat the Kauravas.
tajshar2k

Con

I'm new to this Indian Mythology stuff, so Ill let Pro begin his arguments first.
Ashok_1453

Pro

Hello humble friend. I thank you for accepting this debate.

I shall assume you will be defending Karna, the eldest of the Pandavas.

First of all I will start off with whom they are.

Arjunan

Arjunan is the 3rd son of Kunti. He considered by many to be the greatest archer. He along with his other 4 brothers waged war again his cousins, the Kauravas, and defeated them Kurukshetra.

Karnan

Karnan is the oldest son of Kunti. Unlike his other brothers, ithe origin of his birth was only revealed to the Pandavas after his death. For most of his life, he lived with his foster parents. He fought for Kauravas and was slain on the 17th day of the battle.

Now to why I think Arjunan was better.

Education

Arjunan received training by on of the wisest guru's of their time, Drona. He perfected his skill in Archery, and his master favored him over his other students (even his own brothers). Karnan on the other hand, received his training from Drona's master Parshuram. He lied, however to his master to receive training.

Weapons

Arjuna weilded powerful weapons like the Brahammastra. He also possessed weapons like Brahmadhanda, which was even more powerful. Throughout the battle, he was invincible and even his own guru Drona was unable to kill him. Karnan posssessed the most powerful weapon called the Sakthi, but could only use once, and he too had the Brahammastra. There is a catch however, he forgot how to use the weapon, because he was cursed by his teacher Parashuram.

So from that one can easily say Arjunan is the greatest archer, because he no one was able to defeat him, and it was he who slew Karna on the 17th day of the war.

tajshar2k

Con

I shall start of with my rebutalls

Education

Pro fails to mention key points here. Since Karnan's mom abandoned him at birth. He no longer had the privileges a prince would have. Instead he was adopted by a lower caste family who cared for him. Once he became a bit older, he approached Drona and asked him if he could become his student.(same time Arjuna was learning) Drona however dejected him, because he was part of a lower caste family. Karnan then went on the Parshuram who had a strict condition that he wouldn' train princes, and only Brahmins (high caste). Karnan then lied and told him he was a Brahmin. He learned many things, and his master gifted his bow for his acheivements. However, one day Parshram found out the truth, and cursed him by saying he would forget all his skills when he needed them most. Technically Karnan didn't break his masters vow, because he believed he was just some lower caste boy, even though in reality he was a prince. So you can't critizise Karnan for lying, because he should have received his education with Drona instead.

Weapons

Pro himself admits Karnan had the better weapons. Karnan originally meant for the weapon to be used against Arjunan, but due to Krishna cunningly using his Arjunan's nephew as a pawn, Karnan ended up having to use it. Also, with the Brahammastra, Karnan wasn't able to use it in the first place, because he was cursed.

Let me start of with my arguments

Unfair Oppurtunities

Karnan never had the same oppurtunities has Arjunan. One was when they both were kids, and Drona dejected Karna of his low birth. The other one was when Karnan was at Drapadi's competition. Karnan was about to sucessfully win, but before he released the arrow, Draupadi told him he couldn't participate. Arjunan then came later, and won it. Bheesma himself said he didn't want Karnan in the war, because Arjunan wouldn't be able to handle the 2 of them.

Heartbroken

Karnan simply didn't have the heart to kill Arjunan. He was told he was their brother the day before the battle started. There were incidents were he simply choose not to kill Arjunan. on the 16th day of the war, he disarmed Arjunan and was ready to kill him, but he waited a few moments for the sun to set, so he would have a valid reason not to kill him.

More experience
Karnan was the more experinenced warrior. During his tenure as the king of Anga, he won many battles, and made them pledge allegiance to the Kauravas.

http://www.britannica.com...

Ashok_1453

Pro

I agree Karnan didn't have the same oppurtunites are Arjunan, but Karnan served evil, and frankly didn't deserve to win at all. He fought for the Kaurvas, even though he knew that they were evil. If Karnan was trully good, he would have fought for the Pandavas, even after Vasudev Krishna told his he was really a Pandava. Instead, he choose to fight against his brothers and kill them. Arjunan managed to slay the mighty Bheesma, and helped the Pandavas kill many Kaurava soldiers. So, in my opinion Arjuna is still better. In the end, he managed to kill Karna regardless of the situation, and survived the war. Also, he surived many situations where the Kauravas tried to kill him, even before the war started.
tajshar2k

Con

Pro hasn't refuted any of my points that I mentioned earlier.

Pro keeps mentioned that Arjunan was the good one, and Karnan is the bad one. Even though that itself is questionable, the debate was about Karnan being the better archer compared to Arjunan. Also all the points you pointed out, I already mentioned in round 2. So I guess I will close off my debate.

Posted by tejretics 1 year ago
tejretics
Oh no, I wanted to vote on this :-(
Anyway, the archer I was talking about was Asvattama.
Posted by tajshar2k 1 year ago
tajshar2k
no problem man.
Posted by Ashok_1453 1 year ago
Ashok_1453
Thank you tajshar2k for this debate. It was fun debating you.
Posted by tejretics 1 year ago
tejretics
No, not Ekalavya.
Posted by tajshar2k 1 year ago
tajshar2k
@tejretics He messaged me and asked who I will be defending. I told him Karnan.
Posted by tajshar2k 1 year ago
tajshar2k
Isn't he the guy who had to cut his finger of or something.
Posted by tejretics 1 year ago
tejretics
OK. Why did you jump straight to Karna? Karna isn't necessarily the only archer who rivaled Arjuna ... the late Adi Parva [once the sons of Pandu are introduced] talks of another archer, who is mentioned as "[t]he best trained by [Drona]".
Posted by Ashok_1453 1 year ago
Ashok_1453
I know, but I'm talking about him defeating Duryodhanan and his brothers.
Posted by tejretics 1 year ago
tejretics
@Ashok, Arjuna was technically of the Kaurava clan.
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Midnight1131
Ashok_1453tajshar2kTied
Reasons for voting decision: Arguments to Con. Pro gave the following arguments, education and weapons. Con then proceeded to refute both of these arguments, and continued to give their own arguments, which were Unfair opportunities, more experience, and heartbroken. In the final round, Pro dropped the refutations made by Con, but refuted Unfair opportunities, and more experience. Here, Pro dropped the heartbroken argument. Pro refuted unfair opportunities by saying that Karna was evil, and didn't deserve to win. However Con refuted this refutation by reminding Pro that the debate is about who was the better archer, and that it doesn't matter which side one was aligned with. So, taking into account the dropped argument for heartbroken, and the successfully argued point of unfair opportunities, I give arguments to Con. The point for sources also goes to Con, because they were the only one to use any.
Vote Placed by johnlubba 1 year ago
johnlubba
Ashok_1453tajshar2kTied
Reasons for voting decision: Interesting debate, I think Pro wins arguments for Arjuna being the best archer, I don't think that contentions Con brought up made much difference, Such as Karna not receiving as much training or not having the heart to kill Arjuna, Arjuna indeed won the battle between them by killing Karna, that proved that at war one beat the other, therfore one was better than the other, Arjuna. I gave sources to Con because he did provide one source and thought he made an admirable attempt to rebuttal Pro although it isn't his department of knowledge, Pro also made to many spelling mistakes, in the end I think it's a tie.