Armenian Genocide

Specifically, was the Armenian Genocide actually a genocide, and should it be acknowledged as such by the Turkish and/or U.S. governments. I will be arguing that it was a genocide and should be acknowledged, and my opponent should argue that it was not an actual genocide and thus should not be acknowledged.

1st Round: Acceptance
2nd Round: Opening arguments--NO rebuttals
3rd Round: Rebuttals and Conclusions

Thanks in advance to whomever accepts. :)

Thanks to delaineyk for posting this interesting debate, I feel this will be a great experience for the both of us, and that you will learn from your dreadful loss. May the best me win. (:

Thanks to the Con for accepting so lightheartedly.

First, it is important to this debate to define "genocide". Genocide is defined as the "deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group" [1]. To win this debate, my opponent must prove that the Armenian Genocide does not fall under these guidelines.

I will now lay out my main arguments:

1.The Armenian Genocide was a systematic operation: Because the Turkish government spent the time from 1915-1918 planning and carrying out the deportation and killing of the Armenian population of the Ottoman Empire [2]. The government was so effective, in fact, that about � of the total Armenian population in the Ottoman Empire were killed, and thousands more had to leave the country as refugees [2]. Given these facts, it is indisputable that this was indeed deliberate on the part of the government and very systematic.

2.The victims of the Armenian Genocide qualify as a racial, political, or cultural group: No other group was measurably affected by the Armenian Genocide other than Armenians. An Armenian is someone whose ancestors and bloodline are from the country of Armenia. Armenians qualify as a racial group, because of their shared genetic characteristics. They also qualify as a cultural group, because of their widely shared background, religion, and traditions.

3.Given these two points, one must conclude that the Armenian Genocide does qualify as a genocide based on the definition given above.

4.Because of this, the Turkish Government should acknowledge the Armenian Genocide as such, which they have hitherto failed to do [3]. It is clear that the Armenian Genocide does qualify as such, and therefore the correct thing is to own up to it. This is important for diplomatic relations between Turkey and other countries who have acknowledged the genocide, and because it is the correct thing to do out of respect for those who lost their lives in the genocide.

5.The U.S. Government should also acknowledge the Armenian Genocide because of the conclusion drawn in point 3. Additionally, President Barack Obama has already promised to acknowledge the genocide [4], and not to follow through would be dishonest and immoral.

Con, I await your arguments. Please remember no rebuttals this round. :)

Con forfeited this round.

delaineyk forfeited this round.

Con forfeited this round.