NiamC
Abdab

Art Challenge

NiamC
Started: 5/21/2014 Category: Arts

NiamC

Pro

This is an art challenge/ debate between NiamC and Abdab.

To my opponent:
For each round (except the first), you will be required to paste a photo of your art (or paste your digital art ) on each argument round. In the event of the pasting of the photo/ digital art failing, please include a link of the photo in a photo album on your Debate.org page.

Any media can be used.
Digital art can be used (if this is the case, please include a signature in your digital work to).
The art pieces can be any size.
The art pieces can be on any them.

The opponent must clearly state if the art piece that he/she has provided was created before this debate and was not created for this debate.

I will follow all of these rules as well as my opponent

To the voters:
Please vote fairly and please take into account on whether the opponent's art was created for this debate or whether it was created before this debate.

First round is acceptance.

GO NUTS!
Abdab

Con

I accept this challenge. I will be using one piece of art that was not created for this challenge, as I think it is a similar style to NiamC's art work and would make a good comparison.
NiamC

Pro

I decided to do a face on a4 paper.
I did this work for this debate and took me an hour or so.

Here is hint for my next work: "Hiss"
Also, In the event of me being unable to post a work for my next round... I am sorry
Here is a link:

http://www.debate.org...

Art debate with Abdab
Abdab

Con

http://www.debate.org...

Watercolour pencil on A4 paper
This piece has not been created for this challenge, though I am using it. The rest will be created for this challenge.
NiamC

Pro

I scrapped my original idea. Here it is:
http://www.debate.org...

Abdab

Con

http://www.debate.org...

Here is my finished piece.

http://www.debate.org...

here is just the outline, which tbh i much preffer
NiamC

Pro

Here you go. This was going to be my 2nd work but no...
Hiss!
http://www.debate.org...

Abdab

Con

http://www.debate.org...

This is my last piece. It took around 45 minutes on photoshop
Posted by Abdab 2 years ago
Abdab
I would just like to say that they are different colours because they are supposed to be moths, not bees, but on reflection I realise that I must improve my skills a lot as they can not be recognised as moths as much as I would like.
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
Oops, forgot to say - the system I used for voting was awarding two points per round.
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
RFD -
Round 2 - Con. While Con had an immediate advantage with the wide range of additional color, what really solidified my vote in this round was the additional detail, regardless of color, that was presented throughout the image. Even with attention to detail in mind, Pro's image is note-worthy for the contrasting shades and realism. Ultimately though, it was the additional detail of flowers, including variety, surrounding the skull that really set it above in terms of the amount (based in this case on range) of detail.

Round 3 - Pro. Pro's image was overall of greater quality than both versions of Con's presented artwork. The use of blue really sets the tone for the image, which itself presents a solemn owl. The eyes of the owl are vibrant, and even create a sense of 'life' based on the light and dark contrast of color in the pupils. Con's image was a little inconsistent, with bees who had differing wing patterns, one eye lacking eyelashes, and an overall lack of depth in terms of detail. I understand that perhaps the bee's were supposed to be different, but the differences aren't impressive enough to make that point really stick.

Round 4 - Pro. This was a good round! Although the images vary greatly in style, method, and material used - it was close. For Con, I really enjoyed the dimension of depth created by the individuals in the background compared to the man in front and center. The emotions captured in the image by their sitting position also adds a dimension that I appreciate greatly. At the same time though, this is just an image that is presented as a Photoshop created sketch. When looking at Pro's image, the snakes body also creates that dimension of depth. The aggressive nature of the snake is captured brilliantly and magnified by the explosion of colors and even the way the colors are presented in such a forceful manner. The shading used on the snakes outer edges was nice as well. I have to give this round to Pro.

Great job guys!!
Posted by Abdab 2 years ago
Abdab
I have changed my settings, you should be able to pull it up now! I didn't realise that it wasn't set for everybody, so sorry about that.
Posted by emmalynn 2 years ago
emmalynn
I was not able to pull up any of Abdab's work but NiamC's work is really amazing
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
NiamCAbdabTied
Reasons for voting decision: Round 2 and 3 go to pro round 4 to con. Points divided accordingly
Vote Placed by whiteflame 2 years ago
whiteflame
NiamCAbdabTied
Reasons for voting decision: Rather than providing points for each individual round, I'll just afford argument points to the winner. I thought that both artists had fantastic R2 artwork, though I liked the minimalist approach from Pro best, it really spoke to me on an emotional level. I'd call R2 a draw, as I thought both sides were equally good. I'd give R3 to Pro as well, mainly because the coloring style was so evocative, something I felt was lacking in Con's artistry. Good job to both of you.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
NiamCAbdabTied
Reasons for voting decision: Rfd in Comments. I will say that both of you did an excellent job and I would honestly love to see a rematch between you guys at some point in the future!
Vote Placed by Jonbonbon 2 years ago
Jonbonbon
NiamCAbdabTied
Reasons for voting decision: There's no standard for how to award points, so I'll just explain why I've assigned the number of points I did. I gave NiamC 4 points because every round impressed me in the style used. The first one was actually a very beautiful use of a minimalist attitude. The first for Abdab was creative, and I felt like the concept was great, but some lack of symmetry in some areas put it below NiamC's. The second one I think was a little weak on both sides considering what they can do, but I favored NiamC's more in that round as well. Third round was great from both sides, but NiamC's explosion of color blended well with the snake and created a sort of abstract realism that I liked. I gave Abdab a point mainly for the last round, because I felt the picture was great and simple but still really classy. It was fun to look at the pictures!
Vote Placed by Romanii 2 years ago
Romanii
NiamCAbdabTied
Reasons for voting decision: I'll be awarding two points per round. Con wins round 2 because it was much more detailed and colorful. Pro wins round 3 because Con's picture was kind of freaky and the owl was really cute. Pro wins round 4 because the colorful painting of the snake was more visually appealing than the black and white photo-shopped drawing. Both of you are very good artists! :)
Vote Placed by SeventhProfessor 2 years ago
SeventhProfessor
NiamCAbdabTied
Reasons for voting decision: I'm not sure how to objectively judge this, but I was more impressed with the detail put into Con's R2, but Pro's R3+4. So, I'll give 2 points to Con and 4 to Pro.