legendaryman
jlara1

Art and Music programs should be mandatory for students in Grade School

legendaryman

Con

Students should not be required to study art and music in secondary school. Most Americans will not become musicians or artists in their life, so it is a complete waste of their time to be studying a topic that they probably have little to no interest in. Skill sets such as Math, or Science, are important to be taught in school because they can potentially lead to a multitude of different career options. There are very few career choices available for someone with an incredible drawing ability, and they are very low-paying jobs at best.
Schools should have art and music as optional courses for students to take if they want to pursue that course. But as for the majority of the student populace, who most likely will not become artists or musicians, they should not be wasting their time with things they don't enjoy or wish to spend time learning.
I'm not trying to say that schools should remove all musical and artistic programs, I'm simply stating that they should not be made mandatory for all students; just the students who want to do them.
jlara1

Pro

Kids should learn the Skills. They should have to try out an instrument. If they don't learn it then that could hold them back from finding a hidden talent hidden inside. They should not have to take math but not learn Art or something that they could be really good at.
legendaryman

Con

Your argument is that students who aren't forced to take Music and Arts, will not get the chance to possibly discover a hidden talent for the arts. If a student doesn't want to learn The Arts, who are we to force them to? Lets take your proposed scenario for example, a kid is forced to play the piano at school, and in doing so, discovers he has an incredible talent for it. Just because you have a talent for something, doesn't mean you have to like it, and it doesn't mean you should be forced against your will to do it.
If a student doesn't wish to learn Music, it probably won't matter how talented he discovers that he is, he still won't like doing it. That's why my proposal is for Music and Art programs to be optional. This way, students who want to learn how to play musical instruments and to paint, will be given the opportunity to do so, and students who don't want to, won't be forced to waste countless hours.
jlara1

Pro

It wouldn't be a waste of hours if they have a talent and they do end up finding it more exciting then they thought then they have a career. If they don't like it then they don't have to continue the next Quarter. 1 Quarter is enough to see if someone likes it or not. If they want to take it again then they didn't "waste" hours they put them to great use. You saying that they might not enjoy is fine but at least they know that if they need money/a job they have a talent to fall back on. If you don't force them and they think it will be boring so they don't take it they might not have a job to fall back on so they could be in serious trouble. I don't think kids enjoy school as it is So why not add another thing to the list. At least they can say they tried and didn't like it rather then saying I don't like it but never tried it. Trying new things won't kill you. It could make you mad,sad,or hateful but at least you gave it a shot. So it wouldn't be wasted time.
legendaryman

Con

You misunderstand my argument; I'm not saying there shouldn't be any music and art programs, I'm just saying students shouldn't be forced to take them. You stated that "If they don't like it then they don't have to continue the next Quarter." In Elementary School, they take music and art year round; they can't just try it, and if they dislike it drop it in a month or two.
They're forced to take music and art lessons for the duration of the school year. And it's not typically just one school year; it's 1st- 5th grade. That's up to 5 years of doing something they dislike! In most of the Middle Schools I've visited, art and music is completely optional, and students only have to enroll in them if they chose to. But I've yet to find an Elementary school that doesn't make it mandatory for students to take these courses year-long.
It's a waste of schools funding, to have to provide for so many unwilling students. It'd be much better for schools at an economic standpoint, to only provide musical education for the children who want it.
Also, you say that "if they need money/a job they have a talent to fall back on." Have you ever heard of the term "starving artist"?Statistically speaking, becoming a musician or an artist is one of the lowest paying jobs in America, and you have to be extraordinarily gifted to make a decent living. Unfortunately, most people aren't extraordinarily gifted.
You can't master an instrument at school anyhow, it takes hours upon hours of practice to get into a school of The Arts such as Julliard; spending a mere hour each day won't get you there. Many Julliard students practice over 5 hours each day.
jlara1

Pro

Well I did misunderstand because I didn't know that they force kids in which case I agree but there are musicians out there that make a lot of money off what they do.
Posted by legendaryman 3 years ago
legendaryman
For clarification PiedPieper, I'm primarily discussing Grade School, but also my beliefs remain the same for Middle School and High School.
And in response to Rok's comment, do you really believe that music will increase a child's intelligence more so than Math or Science? Also, if a student doesn't want to learn music, he probably won't increase his intelligence; he'll just waste his time.
Posted by Rok 3 years ago
Rok
If I'm not mistaken, playing an instrument from a younger age can improve intelligence.

This video is pretty interesting:
Posted by PiedPiper 3 years ago
PiedPiper
Just to clarify, the resolution says "Grade School" but your first argument says "secondary school" which would be middle school, junior high, and high school (as far as I understand it). Could you explain which school level you are referring to?