revleader5
rober623

As Christmas draws near, the "War on Christmas" gets harder. Stop the "War on Christmas"

revleader5

Pro

It is complete bull that people are offended by "Merry Christmas". Maybe Christians should be offended by "Happy Holidays" as then it shows that someone actually believes in the nonsense that it isn't okay to say Merry Christmas. Welcome to America, where freedom of speech, "thrives". Not in schools, workplaces, in the news, on most online sites, near foreigners who might celebrate other holidays, in restaurants, public places, or the like of course, but it "thrives" everywhere else. I think it is anti-christian to say you are offended by Merry Christmas. Someone says "Happy Hanukkah" I won't punch them in the face and say, "That's HOLIDAYS to you buddy." I'll gladly accept and say, "you too.".

In my eighth grade english class, my teacher made us write Holiday cards to the troops. She said, "Whatever you do, don't put Merry Christmas." Me and my friend happily put Merry Christmas, along with every other holiday greeting we could think of(hanukkah, etc). I then asked a girl sitting next to me why she wasn't filling out a card. She replied, "I'm Jehovah's witness, and I don't celebrate any holidays, and I don't support the war." "That's complete bull." I replied. "You don't have to support the war, OR celebrate any holidays." She insisted that you must, so I gave up. My teacher, being the politically correct chicken that she is, just ignored it.

THIS WAR ON SAYING MERRY CHRISTMAS HAS TO STOP!
rober623

Con

Of course, "Merry Christmas" is not an offensive phrase by its very nature. It is completely appropriate to say to friends, family, and others who you know either celebrate the holiday, or are not offended by the phrase. However, it must be understood that the so-called "war on Christmas" is not related the the realm of these private relationships. Rather, people become offended when "Merry Christmas" is uttered by politicians, teachers, and other public figures without giving any thought to people that may celebrate other holidays or no holidays at all. For example, in Mike Huckabee's Christmas campaign ad, he wishes everyone "Merry Christmas", and goes on to remind us that the Christmas season is about celebrating the birth of Christ. http://youtube.com... This is offensive because he is running to be the President of all of the people, but only seems to be addressing those that believe in the importance of Christ, as he does. Why use a greeting that only speaks to certain people, when there is a much more inclusive greeting available?

"Merry Christmas" is an exclusive phrase because it ignores Jews, Muslims, etc. that celebrate holidays other than Christmas. It should not be difficult to imagine why it may be particularly offensive to say "Merry Christmas" to a Jew on December 10th while they were actively celebrating Hanukkah. Such a greeting would be like a French person wishing an American "Happy Bastille Day" (celebrated the weekend closest to July 14th) on the Fourth of July. Essentially, Christmas has the ability to dominate the holiday season, even on the actual days of other religious holidays.

It is not a sound argument to say Christians should be offended by "Happy Holidays" because unlike "Christmas" the word "holidays" is inclusive of everyone, regardless of religious conviction. Of course you could say "Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanza, etc", but why bother when you can just say "Happy Holidays"?
revleader5

Pro

Any person who celebrates a holiday would say Merry or Happy -whatever holiday they celebrated. They wouldn't say Merry Christmas. Why can someone tell me that I don't have the right to say Merry Christmas? I always say it. Never Happy Holidays, Happy Holidays is dumb. If you are offended by that then you belong in some dicatorship ruled country. It's even odder that people are offended if they don't celebrate a holiday. You don't, that's fine, but if you don't, you can't expect me to just not say Merry Christmas to anybody because some people will go home and "cry" about it. Why are people trying to brainwash the christians with this "Happy Holidays" crap?
rober623

Con

I don't know about you, but I have never had a Muslim say "Have a blessed Ramadan". It is a holiday their religion, but you understand that it would be odd if they wished you a blessed one. Christmas is the same thing, the only difference is the fact that Christians are the majority in this country and Muslims are not. Everyone does not say "Merry" or "Happy" whatever holiday they celebrate when that holiday is not reconizedrecognizedby the Christian majority in this country. To do so would subject one to strange looks and the possibility of evoking a theological debate between faiths. It is just not socially permissible for non-Christians to celebrate their holidays in the same grandious grandiose as Christians. Furthermore, why wish someone Merry Christmas when the day means nothing to them. Jews, for example would not be as inclined to care about Christmas because to them, Christ was not the Messiah.
No one has said that you do not have the right to say Merry Christmas. The First Amendment protects speech (both verbal and symbolic), with the exception of speech that conveys obscenity, fighting words, incites violence, etc. So unless I am mistaken, you have every right to say Merry Christmas. You do not, however, have the right to dictate what people should not be offended by. Christmas eclipses most other holidays between November and December, so when someone says "Merry Christmas" they reiterate the fact that the Christian holiday is seemingly more important than other holidays. "Happy holidays", on the other hand shows that you are trying to be respectful of the person you are talking to by acknowledging whatever holiday their religion celebrates (if any). This is not about restricting free speech or brainwashing. It is about respecting your fellow Americans beliefs and traditions- even the non-Christian ones.
revleader5

Pro

I agree that it is okay to say Happy Holidays. But if you tell me that I'm not allowed to tell people Merry Christmas, I'll have a constitutional seizure in your home.
rober623

Con

We live in a very diverse society. In such a society, it is important for people to celebrate both our American culture and the diverse cultures and beliefs that comprise our country. Saying "Merry Christmas" ignores the possibility that the recipient of the greeting may not celebrate, or worse may be offended by the statement. You must recognize there is a significant risk of possibly offending someone by wishing them "Merry Christmas" during a sacred day in their faith (like saying merry x-mas during Hanukkah). Why risk such a social blunder? Simply say the all inclusive "Happy Holidays", unless you know that your audience will not feel disrespected by the alternative greeting. Saying "Happy Holidays" does not take anything away from Christmas, it simply allows others to feel included in the well-wishes.
Because I know you do celebrate x-mas, I would like to conclude by saying, Merry Christmas to you. Happy Holidays dabate.com members!
Posted by artC 9 years ago
artC
I work on Christmas. I don't know where all you people are working, but A LOT of people work on Christams.

I'm not offended by Christmas, but I do pretty much hate it. Everything about Christams is phony and lame, and really really annoying.

Christmas is a day where people are bribed with gifts to acknowledge the (not even) birth of Christ.
Posted by artC 9 years ago
artC

Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
I would love to see all the people who are offended by Christmas to volunteer to work that day.
Posted by LoudounConservative 9 years ago
LoudounConservative
I have a right to say "Merry Christmas" and if you must be offended by it, you have that right too. I would suggest that you will live a happier life and, perhaps, enjoy having Dec 25th off from work a little more, if you just relax and appreciate the kind intentions of my statement, however. The bottom line is that none of us, whether in a public position or not, is obligated to modify our right to free speeech because someone else might be offended. So, if you want to be offended, go ahead, no one is stopping you. And, if you want to wish me a Happy Haunakah, or even Happy Holidays, you are welcome to do that too....
Posted by artC 9 years ago
artC
Solarman, where have you been??? Look at how many PRIEST have been arrested for the same thing.

To say non-christians, or non-theists are immoral is just plain ignorant. Nobody else is claiming that christians are immoral so why are you attacking the non-theists?

This argument is a little silly because nobody is trying to prevent anyone from saying Merry Christmas. The only thing I think non-theists or people who just don't celebrate christmas are trying to say is that no matter who you are you should consider others feelings before speaking.

We have reedom OF religion in this country but we also have freedom FROM religion.
Posted by Lacan 9 years ago
Lacan
Eh, I'm an ardent atheist and I say Merry Cristmas, its a habbit.
Posted by yarni 9 years ago
yarni
Solarman - How is respecting someones religion immoral?
Posted by Solarman1969 9 years ago
Solarman1969
the irreligous left, or the secular progressives, or SPs as Bill O'Reilly calls them , or ACLU types

are ANTI AMERICAN

ANTI CHRISTIAN

and are AFRAID of the concept of MORALITY becuase they are TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY IMMORAL

look at the number of ACLU heads who have been arrested and convicted of child pornography

that is why they are afraid Christ, and Christmas and God

they want to live in a world where anything goes and where they dont have to be afraid of their evil behavior
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
There is religious hatred because of things like Happy Holidays , it makes people feel they are not accepted and can't speak freely of their religious opinions. It is not ignorant to say that people should not be offended , because I myself am not offended. I know some women that celebrate Yule and they have wished me a happy Yule and I said Happy Yule to you as well. I have wished people a Merry Christmas and they say the same. It is people that make it a big deal if you mention any particular religion that cause such hatred. When I was younger , everyone just said what they celebrated and noone took offense , it was never a big deal and then one person starts complaining and it all of a sudden becomes this big issue.
Posted by yarni 9 years ago
yarni
With so much religious prejudice and hate in the world today, can we just agree on a simple term to unite everyone like "Happy Holidays." This includes all winter religious holidays as well as the new year.
Vote Placed by IronHead60 9 years ago
IronHead60
revleader5rober623Tied
Vote Placed by invertman 9 years ago
invertman
revleader5rober623Tied
Vote Placed by Zaglossus 9 years ago
Zaglossus
revleader5rober623Tied
Vote Placed by Vlast 9 years ago
Vlast
revleader5rober623Tied
Vote Placed by Solarman1969 9 years ago
Solarman1969
revleader5rober623Tied
Vote Placed by megan91509 9 years ago
megan91509
revleader5rober623Tied
Vote Placed by goodlittlesquid 9 years ago
goodlittlesquid
revleader5rober623Tied
Vote Placed by Sgtdap 9 years ago
Sgtdap
revleader5rober623Tied
Vote Placed by yarni 9 years ago
yarni
revleader5rober623Tied
Vote Placed by mv 9 years ago
mv
revleader5rober623Tied