As a parent, selecting a school is the most important choice you will make in your child's life

danielkhan has forfeited round #2.

I am against this statement (CON), I believe that there are numerous other defining factors that parents will make choices on during their child's developmental years.
Regardless of whether these decisions are consciously or subconsciously made, it is of my opinion that one of these 'choices' will hold far more impact on the child's life than the choice of school.

I admit and agree that the choice of school could be classed as a 'defining' choice however it is not my belief it is the most important.

Whilst I can not put my finger on what the single most important choice a parent can make would be. I would propose that is a combination of choices and factors that supersede the PRO statement.

I would ask you to consider for the purpose of this round, an example:

Parent A chooses a negative parenting style, never rewarding their child but only punishing negatives.
Parent B chooses a positive parenting style, rewarding positive behaviour and softly punishing negatives.

Would you agree that this choice the parent faces is surely more important than the choice of schools?

Dependant on the parenting style adopted by the would be parents. The implications of this choice could be far reaching.

In the example above, The child of Parent A may struggle with self confidence and motivation. Whereas the child of Parent B would have more self confidence due to the positive reinforcement they have been exposed to in their younger years, We would imagine that Child B is more likely to achieve higher results in their exams due to the possibility of the reward for doing so.

This approach has been supported and studied by numerous psychologists and adopted in numerous organizations and business.

I would reference the quote from Professor Julian Elliott from Durham University, a Chartered Psychologist

""It has long been understood that the allocation of rewards and sanctions is rendered more powerful when these follow closely the behaviour that is to be conditioned. The power of different types of incentives (social recognition, tokens, money) to different age groups as shown here is also in line with expectations. So the use of particular rewards to drive short-term behaviour as found in this study is not unduly surprising."

I am (Pro) this argument.

I recognise your point, there are numerous defining factors that parents will make choices on during their child's developmental years, however, choice of school, is the most important. This is a choice that will affect your child for the 13 most important years of their life (including primary and secondary). I believe that your argument regarding Parent A and Parent B does have its foundations, but is ultimately flawed. A child will , either choose to accept or reject the choice to be Parent A or B. There are too many emotional variables to the human psyche that can ultimately lead to changes in the chosen approach. A child's development cannot solely be measured by their interaction with one individual (or parent).

A child spends 5 days a week, 6 hours (at least) per day at school. In that time they will be exposed to a multitude of important developmental factors which play an important part in their future life. They will develop habits which affect all of their cognitive facets. The child will be exposed to numerous people, of different ages and backgrounds. Choosing the right school will challenge the parent to consider the backgrounds of the other children attending the school, the quality of teacher, the schools demographics, facilities, pupil results amongst many other factors.

(more factors can be seen here..

Much of ones success is based on how one deals with other people. Once a person leaves school, they will spend the rest of their life placed in social situations, success in these situations will be based on the habits we developed in our developmental years. Choosing the right school for your child will set them up for these events. Can you imagine the change in psychological behaviours if you had been sent to a school where you didn't fit in? Never had the opportunity to develop your key skills? Didn't achieve the academic results you were capable of? Didn't meet a wide range of people from a variety of backgrounds?

What makes this the most important decision is that fact it reaches so many different developmental factors as illustrated in my answer.
Posted by TheBenC 2 months ago
How many people get to choose the school their kid goes to?