Teemo
PipJeanTodd

Ash Kethum should be over the age of 10

Teemo

Teemo

Pro

After challenging a person to this debate, and realising he was rationalmadman, I was dissapointed I couldn't debate this. So now, here is a debate to prove once and for all that Ash kethum should be older than 10. Accepting this debate, you are accepting these rules.

1. First round you post your opening statements, last round your write "No argument as agreed upon."

2. No plagiarism

3. No semantics/ play with words

4. No arguing about the rules, except for in the comments.

5. No making your own definitions.

Definitions

1.the length of time during which a being or thing has existed http://dictionary.reference.com...

Breaking any rules above will result in a 7 point loss.
PipJeanTodd

Con

I accept Pro's challenge and the rules that correlate. My opening statement follows:

I would like to point out that Pokemon is a kid's TV show. Not everything has to follow the same rules as the real world. If we were debating a real world problem, this would be a more valid debate. However, the makers of the show Pokemon seem to think that Ash's being 10 years old is important. Therefore, they kept him 10 years old. Who is to say how the rules of time work in this fictional TV show world? Only the writers. Therefore, if they think he should still be 10 years old, they are correct.
Teemo

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate. I hope he doesn't forfeit, because that would be a bore. Anyway,
to start my refutations.

REFUTATIONS

"I would like to point out that Pokemon is a kid's TV show. Not everything has to follow the same rules as the real world. If we were debating a real world problem, this would be a more valid debate. However, the makers of the show Pokemon seem to think that Ash's being 10 years old is important. Therefore, they kept him 10 years old. Who is to say how the rules of time work in this fictional TV show world? Only the writers. Therefore, if they think he should still be 10 years old, they are correct."

I would like to point out that in the anime, time is the same as it is in our world, but for some reason, Ash doesn't age. There are many instances to which time is used in the anime. There is a video which will be on this argument explaining why Ash should be older than 10. I will refer to it many times in this debate. Anyway, in the episode "The battle of the badge" Ash claims it took him a whol year to travel Kanto. This already proves time works the same way it does in the normal world. Because of such, Ash should already be older than 10, since it took him a whole year to travel through Kanto. This would imply time passed, thus making Ash older than 10. https://www.youtube.com...

ARGUMENTS

In the anime, you may also notice that there is day and night. Furthermore, there is christmas. This implies time is passing, thus he must be getting older. This proves though the creators keep him at the age of 10, he should be older, considering time passes.

Also, it would be good for the anime to age him. In doing so, all ages would be attracted to the subject, since it can relate to a wider audience. This would bring in viewers, and money for the franchise. As you may not know, pokemon was actually originally for teenagers. You can notice such in the manga.

So if we brought this back, it would attract all ages. I have proven that even with the franchise keeping him at 10, the notes to implant prove otherwise. Ash should be over the age of 10.
PipJeanTodd

Con

Firstly:
Pokemon is a children's TV show. Ash's being 10 attracts a younger audience. Therefore, the writers clearly decided to keep him young so that it would continue to attract that audience. Parents most likely wouldn't let their young kids watch an anime show in which the main character was 16 or something because of what it possibly could turn into. Ash's age allows the intended audience to connect to the protagonist.

Secondly, there is no way for you to prove that time works exactly the same way in this anime as in the real world. Just because certain things happen and change and day and night occur means nothing. Even though it may have taken Ash a year, that doesn't mean he has to become older if the writers don't want it to because this is not reality we're talking about-- it's a children's television show. The anime writers are perfectly allowed to have time work however they want. Brock hasn't gotten older. Misty never got older. In fact, I don't know any characters that got older. That includes Ash. Therefore, perhaps no one grows older. Your argument is invalid, and you cannot prove in any way that you are correct because it's up to the writer.
Teemo

Pro

Thanks for the response. I would like to remind my opponent that if next round, he doesn't type nothing more than "no argument as agreed upon" He will lose 7 points.

Anyway, now to begin.

REFUTATIONS

"Pokemon is a children's TV show. Ash's being 10 attracts a younger audience. Therefore, the writers clearly decided to keep him young so that it would continue to attract that audience. Parents most likely wouldn't let their young kids watch an anime show in which the main character was 16 or something because of what it possibly could turn into. Ash's age allows the intended audience to connect to the protagonist."

Yes, but this can easily be changed. If we were to age Ash, children who started watching the anime would be able to grow up with it. Furtehrmore, as mentioned previously, it would bring in viewrs from all ages, making more money. So making Ash older would aid the franchise.

"Secondly, there is no way for you to prove that time works exactly the same way in this anime as in the real world"

Actually, I can, which I will do later. However, can you prove it doesn't. Absolutely not.

" Just because certain things happen and change and day and night occur means nothing. Even though it may have taken Ash a year, that doesn't mean he has to become older if the writers don't want it to because this is not reality we're talking about-- it's a children's television show. The anime writers are perfectly allowed to have time work however they want. Brock hasn't gotten older. Misty never got older. In fact, I don't know any characters that got older. That includes Ash. Therefore, perhaps no one grows older. Your argument is invalid, and you cannot prove in any way that you are correct because it's up to the writer."

Let me explain to you how time works. I have already proved that time passes in pokemon. This automatically makes Ash older. Even if he isn't getting older physically, he is getting older litteraly, since he lived for a bit longer every single day. This proves time is passing, and he is ageing. Basically proving my points. Even if the writers say otherwise, it is impossible for them to stop Ash from litteraly ageing.

Take immortals in movies for example. Sure, it looks like they never aged, but they actually did. They are occasionally thousands of year old, just like the fairies in fairly odd parents. They age, even though they don't physically, since time passes. I have proved time passes in the pokemon world, thus making Ash older. Because of such, he should be older than 10.

=======================================================================================

This debate isn't weather or not the writers have a say, but what age Ash should be. Sure, the writers can say he is 10, that doesn't mean it's automatically right. The writers left things in the story, such as night and day that proves time passes. And if time passes, Ash is getting older than 10 every second. Because of such, I have already proved Ash should be older than 10.

My opponent proved nothing whatsoever. He only stated personal opinion, whereas I stated facts based on the series, and countered all of his arguments. He claims I can't prove the time is the same, but he can't disprove it. I did however prove time still passes, which means Ash should be older than 10.

I would like to give out some voting tips.

Conduct: He only stated personal opinion.

S&G: I had superior grammar throught this entire debate. He had various "choppy" sentances.

Arguments: I proved that time passes thus making Ash age, proving my point. I had proof supporting my position. My opponent stated personal opinion, and said whatever the writer says goes, even though this is false as I have proven. I explained why not only should Ash be 10, but why it would benefit the franchise.

Sources: I am the only one that presented a source.

This is a clear win in my favour. Please vote for me. If my opponent continues to argue, he will recieve a 7 point deduction.

PipJeanTodd

Con

No argument as agreed upon.
Posted by Teemo 3 years ago
Teemo
Okay.
Posted by PipJeanTodd 3 years ago
PipJeanTodd
No, you are not accepting what I have to say. I understand what you're saying and am proving that it doesn't have to be so. I was at least polite during the debate, but became less so once I realized how disrespectful you were to other people. Unfortunately, you seem to lack the ability to accept that you're wrong in any way or that it might not be your choice how old Ash is. Therefore, I am going to leave this conversation and find someone on this website who is mature enough to handle a debate politely and respectfully and listen to the well-organized thoughts and ideas of his/her opponent.
Posted by Teemo 3 years ago
Teemo
You do not understand why I did it that way. It is as if for example I started. If I started, you would have the last word, and I would be unable to fight back. This is just how it works. You were unable to prove anything. Furthermore, you remain ignorant and continue to insult me, and ignore the fact I already proved your idea impossible. Time could work completely differently, but if it still goes on, that means someone is ageing. It is impossible for you to disprove such, instead you continue to drop it. I demand you stop arguing, and insulting me, and just accept defeat.
Posted by Teemo 3 years ago
Teemo
Posted by PipJeanTodd 3 years ago
PipJeanTodd
But it doesn't have to flow like it does in the real world. Proving you wrong. I don't want to keep commenting, but you seem unable to admit that I could possibly be right.

The three ideas of your temper, my continuing, and me being a hypocrite do not connect and your sentence did not make sense. I'm still talking because you can't seem to admit that I could possibly be correct. Here's what I want you to do: respond to this comment with nothing more than "No argument as agreed upon." and just see how hard it is for you to just walk away and be unable to fight back.

Just try.
Posted by Teemo 3 years ago
Teemo
And my so called temper won this debate, so why are you still taking? Please don't be a hypocrite.
Posted by Teemo 3 years ago
Teemo
But it does flow. Proving you wrong.
Posted by PipJeanTodd 3 years ago
PipJeanTodd
And once again, you're literally just repeating the stuff that I've already proved does not have to be true. So there's no point in continuing, but since you don't seem to be able to control your temper at the moment, you continue to respond. I kindly ask you to stop.
Posted by PipJeanTodd 3 years ago
PipJeanTodd
You're using personal attacks as well by saying how ignorant I am. Don't by a hypocrite.

And again, I say, time doesn't have to flow the way you want it, so you've proved nothing.
Posted by Teemo 3 years ago
Teemo
And please refrain from the personal attacks, I am prepared to report you if such continues.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
TeemoPipJeanToddTied
Reasons for voting decision: con completely failed.
Vote Placed by Actionsspeak 3 years ago
Actionsspeak
TeemoPipJeanToddTied
Reasons for voting decision: Times passes therefore he should age and he must age or he wouldn't be ten years old, so argument to Pro.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 3 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
TeemoPipJeanToddTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Con. Neither acted in a way that was disrespectful towards the other. What lost conduct points for Pro were the voting suggestions. That is incredibly tacky for any debater and completely out of line. A debater has no place suggesting the actions of a judge, ever. S & G - Tie. Neither debater made any significant errors in terms of accurate spelling and proper use of grammar, including punctuation. Argument - Pro. Literal time was shown to be just as valid as physical time, which in turn supports the resolution that Ash should be older than 10. The limitations and un-realistic properties of anime shows contention made by Con is a weak justification in rebutting the point that literal time does take place in the show and that as such ash should logically be revealed as older than 10. Ultimately, Pro provided much stronger rebuttals and arguments. Sources - Pro. Based on the fact that Pro had at-least one source, whereas Con failed to provide any sources throughout the deb