samsun01
whiteflame

Asia is more livable than N/S America

Started: 3/26/2017 Category: Places-Travel

samsun01

Pro

More than 2/3 rd's of the world's population live in the continent of Asia alone .
Therefore Asia must be the most liveable country .
whiteflame

Con

Thanks to my opponent for challenging me to this debate. As he has left the task of defining the essential term - livable - to me, I will do so.

Livable: "suitable for living in, on, or with"

https://www.merriam-webster.com...

That's very general, so allow me to specify. Livability should be based in the ability of human beings to live in a given region and prosper. Towards that end, the United Nations developed a means of tracking this form of human progress, and it's called the Human Development Index. They use three criteria to define this:

"having a long and healthy life, being knowledgeable, and having a good standard of living."

Please note that none of these include having a large population size - more people living in an area doesn't tell you if that area is livable, only that people can live in cramped spaces. A person is not better off being crammed into an elevator with 10 other people than they are being one of 3 in a wide open room.

Now, the beauty of having this system in place is that there are actually ways of tracking what makes a livable country, quantifying those traits, and comparing them between nations. It makes my job rather easy, as 24/7 Wall St. did exactly that. So, let's look at how it compared countries within the two continents we're discussing.

http://247wallst.com...

Japan makes #20, Hong Kong at #12, Singapore at #11 as of 2015. Not too shabby. However, Canada sits at #9, and the U.S. at #8. That already sets the Americas higher than Asian countries, but if you also compare those on the bottom 25 list, it becomes more stark. Djibouti is #21 and Afghanistan is #18. No countries from North or South America make this list.

This data makes it pretty clear that, when it comes to real statistics regarding livability, the Americas dominate Asia.
samsun01

Pro

According to the "human development index" , out of the top twenty countries , 5 are from Asia , 11 are from Europe , 2 are from Australia and 2 are from N/S America .

Now due to Mr.Trump's reforms , people are preferring Australia one USA .

China is more likely to overtake USA on economy by 2030 . If we see in terms of economical growth , the GDP growth rate of USA is about 2% , China's gdp growth rate is 7.6% whereas India's GDP is 7.5% .

P.S:- Let's debate politics in the next round
whiteflame

Con

Pro, while I appreciate that you put more thought into this argument, it's not clear where Pro is getting his data. My source showcases the top 25 countries, and it only includes 3 Asian nations. But suppose that there were 5 Asian nations in the top 20 - even then, Canada and the US rank higher, as I've shown, and at least 2 Asian nations are in the bottom 25. This means that the average trends higher for the Americas.

Pro can assert all he wants that Trump is suddenly reducing that livability, but he provides no evidence to support these claims. He also doesn't support his claims regarding China (which may be overblown, given the rapidly aging population and a substantially smaller young population), but this is a red herring - even if they do have a higher GDP, that doesn't mean that China is more livable or even that it will become more livable. China has the world's deadliest pollution [https://www.nytimes.com...], and serious population size issues that don't exist in the U.S.[http://maps.unomaha.edu...]

But realistically, we should understand that every continent has a broad variety of countries that are stratified across the livability spectrum. Some have more success than others, but Asia in particular, a continent with the widest variety of countries, this success seems all the more stratified. The Americas certainly have their problem countries as well, but unless one of us somehow calculates the average livability across all of those countries, there is no way to define livability for the continent as a whole. Pointing to individual examples is only going to take us so far.

The problem with that is that it's Pro's burden to prove the resolution true. It's not my burden to show that the Americas are more livable, only that Asia is not necessarily more livable than the Americas. I think I've shown that with my evidence, but even if you're not buying that, there's enough evidence here to at least throw Pro's case into uncertainty. He's provided nothing but assertions and numbers without sources, and that's not enough to prove his point. That's enough to vote Con.

P.S.: Sure, though it'll have to be another debate.
Posted by whiteflame 9 months ago
whiteflame
I'd be open to it in about a week or so.
Posted by samsun01 9 months ago
samsun01
Thanks for the tip . This is my first debate .
Would you like to debate me on my other topics
Posted by whiteflame 9 months ago
whiteflame
Best to provide that in the debate.
Posted by samsun01 9 months ago
samsun01
My source on "human development index" is wikipedia
Posted by samsun01 9 months ago
samsun01
Define it
Posted by whiteflame 9 months ago
whiteflame
That's really not how this works. If you don't define it, then I will.
Posted by samsun01 9 months ago
samsun01
Anything
Posted by whiteflame 9 months ago
whiteflame
What definition of "livable" are you going by?