Astrology and Horoscopes are Real

Started: 3/14/2016 Category: Funny

****Outlaw Tournament Round 3***

Contention: Astrology is real. We have interconnectedness with the universe. From the moment of our birth the solar system and planetary alignments determine the course of our lives. Once a person taps into the knowledge of this cosmic connectedness one can maximize the planetary forces to develop our true selves and to optimize opportunities that are presented to us.

Tracing as far back to the ancients of Mesopotamia, Greece, Rome China, India and Mayans, some form of astrology has been practiced to foretell terrestrial events from the position of celestial bodies. It has been used across multiple cultures to predict seasonal shifts and accurately predict the personality and traits of individuals. Astrological charts and readings can be used as a road map to keep a person on their predestined path. Alignments of the sun, moon, planets and stars clue us in to when it is opportune to marry, to broker a business deal or to properly schedule other major decisions in life. Alexander the Great, Chaucer, Shakespeare, Copernicus and Galileo to name a few, were practitioners of astrology.
Astrology: the study of how the positions of the stars and movements of the planets have an influence on events and on the lives and behavior of people.

Horoscope: 1. a diagram of the heavens, showing the relative position of planets and the signs of the zodiac, for use in calculating births, foretelling events in a person's life, etc. 2. a prediction of future events or advice for future behavior based on such a diagram.

CON will dispute the authenticity of Astrology
1. If you don't want to follow the rules move on; you're most likely a Leo anyway.
2. Round 1: Acceptance, CON MUST PROVIDE ASTROLOGICAL SIGN or birth date. Begin your argument.
3. Round 4: No new arguments or rebuttals, summary only
4. Calling me a dimwitt or numbskull is strictly prohibited.

I accept. I am a Virgo.

I take that the burden of proof is on Pro. He will provide proof for this claim, and I shall counter his arguments.

I'd say no, we do not have a connection with the universe. There is no evidence given for this claim. And no, the alignment of planets do not affect your life in any way. Try giving a reason how.

I take that Pro does not believe in free will, since as stated our date of birth predetermines our destiny? Yes, the position of the stars are used to determine time and position, but since when and how does it have any influence to one's personality or destiny.

And there is no evidence whatsoever to determine the accuracy of horoscopes. That's why you don't see people who have mastered these horoscope signs or whatever winning lotteries every week.

For the claims about how someone's personality, the "predestined path", the opportune to marry, business deal advantages, the time to make a major life decision etc. is influenced in any way by the positioning of celestial bodies, I await evidence.

Thank you Jedd for accepting this debate. Yes, the BoP is on me since I did not state otherwise in the rules. I aim to play well with others.

I'll begin with you, a Virgo, the virgin (maybe). Here's a general overview of your sign. For a person of your age whose sexual prowess has not yet been fully realized, your sign provides some future insight to what to avoid in relationships. And when you do come into your own, a Virgo will immediately want to wash the sheets after doing the deed. Second, you knew your sign. If astrology is not real why would you have interest in knowing your sign? It seems that everyone knows their sign; why is that?

Astrology dates back to 3,000 BC Mesopotamia, it's more than 5,000 years old. It is still practiced throughout the world, especially in China, India and amongst some sects of Jews [1,2, 3]In some cultures it is used to guide individuals, in others the aim is to fight against its influence; but influence it has [4].

Here in the west astrology is considered a pseudo-science. At one time so were acupuncture, massage therapy and herbal medicines. These are now accepted practices [5, 6, 7] It takes a bit of time for west to get its nose out of its arse when it comes to investigating practices of other cultures and what the ancients knew. The question is; with such an extensive history if it were definitively proven to be a false why has it not been cast aside in a similar manner as Greek or Nordic gods, alchemy or other such historical practices?

Evidence: Dr Percy Seymour ofPlymouth University, researcher of astronomy and astrology at the Royal Observatory in Greenwich in his book “Scientific Proof of Astrology” states that planets have influence over us. The movement and position of planets interferes with the magnetic field of the Earth the variations in this field affects a child's brain(personality traits)[8] Michel Gauquelin, French statistician in 1988, performed statistical analysis of planetary positions with births dates of high profile athletes and found statically significant correlation between planetary positions as predictors of these individual's personalities and success [9]. One of his early works L'Influence des Astres, analyzed data of 5,824 prominent individual against their natal (birth) astrological charts and found statistical relevance to their adult outcomes [10,11].

It is commonly accepted that the orbits of the sun and moon affect the tides on Earth. With the body that's around 60-70% water some studies show it is also affected [12, 13]. NASA published a study in 2007 that correlates the planetary alignment cycle of Venus, Earth, and Jupiter correspond to the sunspot cycle and solar tide cycles whose magnetic resonance reaches Earth [14]. Astrologists believe in what position the Sun and planets are at the time of your birth affects personality and life outcomes. The push and pull between planets and how it affects Earth and the beings on it is evident. Taking all factors into account, planetary magnetic fields on the brain, statistical relevance of birth with planetary alignments and adult outcomes (Gauquelin), tidal effects and planetary positions affecting the Earth corresponding with solar and sunspot cycles, all give credence to astrological impact on people.

Free Will: Your planetary birth influence is predictive of personality and events but a person informed on these forces is certainly free to modify fate to a certain degree. In Vedic/Jyotisha astrology, practiced in Hindu India, within a religious context of past lives lived, a person learns of past karmas and the planetary influences that played upon it. In knowing this, a person has the free will to regulate their actions so as not to repeat bad karmic energy [15]. Torah Astrology in Kabbalah believes that the 12 signs of the zodiac and seven planets is God's way of ruling over all that he has created. Individuals have a Mazel, a planetary driven predetermination. Conscientious religious observance counteracts the subconscious pull of the planets [16]. I could go on about how various cultures that use astrology, but the basic essential premises are evident throughout. Planetary arrangements at birth have affect and are predictive of individual traits and events. Free will is not eliminated from the equation, as person may act to counter prediction but the results are indeterminate.

16. (view clip)

Horoscopes and Lottery: Western style horoscopes you see in the news papers only give a glimpse into the greater practice of astrology. As you no doubt noticed, these generalized Horoscopes are not detailed. They may state that you will meet someone of significance on a specific day, but their significance will not be apparent until later. Good luck could be anything from a raise in pay to missing all the red lights on your way back home; they are not literal to the events of that day but, forecasts [17].

Predestined Path/Decision Making:

My dear opponent you are a Virgo through and through. I bet you have all your holiday shopping done before Thanksgiving. You either keep your room meticulously clean or have some sort of collection artfully arranged. Your Virgo proclivities must shine when dating. Virgo condoms come with a manual and hygienic disposal bag, as well as being a perfect fit with the lowest failure rate possible; Virgos are that fastidious.

I presented earlier how personality traits are developed and provided evidence for predisposition of outcomes. The position of planets at certain times in relation to someone's natal chart is used to schedule important events or decisions. Planetary arrangements work favorably or not based on this. Nancy Regan consulted an astrologist for favorable scheduling times for Presidential press conferences, state of the union addresses and debates. An astrologer warmed Nancy that something bad would happen to the President on that specific day in 1981 when the assassination attempt occurred [18,19].

Albert Einstein had a belief in astrology “'Astrology is a science in itself and contains an illuminating body of knowledge. It taught me many things, and I am greatly indebted to it. Geophysical evidence reveals the power of the stars and the planets in relation to the terrestrial” [20] .

Ben Franklin used astrology to predict the weather with remarkable accuracy in Poor Richard’s Almanac [21] .

In the sub-continent of India prior to marriage both parties Kundli Charts are done to ensure compatibility [22] .

Even Fortune Magazine has a horoscope column. Ever here the phrase, “Millionaires don’t use astrology. Billionaires do.” – J.P. Morgan ?[23]

Astrology has greater historical precedence and evidence to prove planetary influence over people than there is for the existence of an omnipotent being. As an atheist you would agree.

Jedd forfeited this round.

Since my opponent has yet to offer a rebuttal I'll use this space as a non-debatable placeholder until he returns, rather than just writing forwarding R1 statements. Yep, I can do this; we didn't mutually agree to the FF, so I get to go off the reservation for a round.

I'll take this opportunity to tell you about Pisces, which is my sign. They are often accused of beings scatter brained. I really don't believe this is true, never have……………….oh look a squirrel! What's with the 70’s esque porn music at the begining and end of this video?

Their head is most often in a dream world but will snap back pretty quickly when irked. They have no qualms about mowing you down or kicking the butt of all your imaginary friends. Galileo, Einstein, and Michelangelo all were Pisceans. This might explain why they spend much of our time looking up, tripping over things or being hit by busses. As children many stare into the night wondering where the sun has gone, only to have it dawn on them. Their intuitions regarding people are usually spot on, but are jerk magnets. Pisces will ignore the approaching Zombie that's about to make lunch of them but, have a visceral response to the person in cubicle #3 as the corporate embezzler.

Without exception, ALL Piscean women are Gorgeous; Jennifer Love Hewitt, Fabio (I can’t believe it’s not butter commercial), Eva Mendes, Jessica Biel, Rihanna, Elizabeth Taylor and I are all Pisces women of unsurpassed beauty.

Pisces don't have a good sense of direction, I can attest to that. After all the sign is two fishes chasing each other's tail. My requirement for traveling alone is 2 GPSs; I still manage to get lost. I often feel given directions don't make sense and go off using my own inner compass; never with good result. I get to a point of high frustration, start crying and have to call for help. Once during an "I'm lost call," I described the big dipper as being to my left which means I'm traveling east; makes sense right? There was also a line of 6 maple trees, one with a barn owl perched atop. Hearing this, my BF told me to stop smoking the ganja and hung up. She knows better than to say something like this. I haven't partaken in this substance since the incidence of 1982. While watching the lunar eclipse I toked some real jamming Acapulco gold. Somehow, I ended up being pinned between a garbage truck and a dumpster; never heard the backup beep. It was so worth it in the end. The eclipse cleansed my spirit, freeing me from my inner turmoil. My BF is a naysayer attributing my spiritual rebirth to the 2 week induced coma I was put under to recover from the big squash.

The Pisces horoscope for today states I will be plagued with a plethora of happy people. How can this be, especially in a work situation? I can only attribute this to a collective mass happiness hysteria to which I'll play no part. There was an attempt to retrieve another horoscope version from the highly reputable Onion News, but the site stated the page I was seeking burnt down. No doubt the Pisces page manager was having a bad day resulting from too many positive feeling co-workers. Another highly esteemed horoscope site stated that I needed to travel to Australia to watch my career flush in an opposite direction. D'oh! Why pay for travel to watch water spin counter clockwise? I'll just pour water in a glass and swish it around to view what it has to say.

From 2012 to 2026 is an interesting time for Pisceans since Neptune is residing in the house of the sign; really cool stuff. During this period Pisceans will experience a spiritual awakening. I hope this is a positive thing, I don't want to reevaluate my departure from organized religion; can't take all the rules and the bashing of one group or another. I am very comfortable loving everyone. Also, our already well developed empathy trait will be heightened and will act as a magnet for collective turmoil. Sorry fellow Pisces, you can't stay in bed or shut off the news as avoidance tactics. As you know, the cosmos will directly feed negative energy to you. If you are not already depressed, you soon will be. To avoid this cosmic negative influx you need to use your psychic energy blocking tool. If you have yet to learn it, I strongly advise that you call me at 555-556- 2134. My fees are reasonable and the cosmos affirms the guarantee of its effectiveness.

Jedd forfeited this round.

Summary: Astrology is over 5,000 years old and is still practiced today. Just because it has yet to be fully scientifically proven in the west, does not negate its efficacy; especially since several once thought of pseudo-sciences have been proven to be valid in recent decades.

There have been statistical studies that have proven the correlation between planetary alignment with human traits and outcomes. NASA has also conducted studies that prove that planets in our solar system when in specific positions, affect Earth’s magnetic field, tides and by extension people. Although planetary influence prioritizes one’s destiny, we do have free will to attempt counter its force, but the end result is ultimately up to the cosmos. Astrology and horoscopes cannot lead you to win the lottery or to find the love of your life. It will guide you toward opportune times to undertake tasks or forecast events which outcomes may not be immediately recognized.

My Virgo opponent is most likely preoccupied with cleaning his closet, forgetting this debate. Or over contemplating his belly button on why it is an outtie rather than innie.

A little Letterman top 10 revival on Virgos

Top Ten Reasons You’re a Virgo

10. Highly successful in writing critical movie reviews; everything is garbage except Citizen Kane

9. Personal motto. I’m ready, are you?

8. I must clean that again there’s a smudge

7. You don’t worry, I’ll worry for you

6. Standards man! Standards!

5. Knock, knock

Who’s there?

Virgo Who?

The paint is chipping on your door, you should repaint it.

4. Bought stock in Pepto-Bismol

3. Feelings are a waste of time and energy

2. Not obsessive compulsive, detail oriented

The number one reason you’re a Virgo…………

1. Born under the sign of a Virgin and likely to stay that way.

Is this debate over yet? How much BS does a person have to sling to win a tournament? What next, the Zombie apocalypse is inevitable? What?.... What…? Oh SH#T!! I’m still in the argument submission pane. Heck, why didn’t you tell me sooner. This is so embarrassing.

Readers look into this hypnotic spiral and listen to the soothing sound of my voice….

Astrology is real, astrology is real, astrology is real. Vote Pro, vote Pro.

I think I'm good covered my tracks … WHAT! Still in the pane? DAMN IT! This has Pisces written all over it!

Jedd forfeited this round.
Posted by Emmarie 6 months ago
oops - nevermind - I was wrong - lol - I typed in Carl Banks the first time, not Carl Barks to one who coined the phrase, work smarter not harder.
Posted by Emmarie 6 months ago
ha ha - I was 100% correct though Carl Banks the author of the slogan, "work smarter, not harder," is really a Virgo!
Posted by Peepette 6 months ago
This was an Outlaw debate I truly feel astrology is a bunch of hooey. I didn't believe a word I was saying.
Posted by Emmarie 6 months ago
My oh my peepette, another person who believes in astrology, who doesn't seem to understand Virgos! We are the most misunderstood sign of the zodiac and also the most likely to dismiss astrology, because of the bad rap we always get from astrologers of other signs. Maybe it is because they are jealous, so they over-exaggerate the meaning of order in our lives. Some astrologers are finally beginning to understand what makes us tick and why we seem more organized than other signs. It is because we are efficient workers who don't need to put in as much efforts to tasks that can be done efficiently. Wr do this so that we can have more time for helping others. I wonder if a Virgo came up with the slogan. "Work smarter not harder?"

Here's some links that more accurately describe Virgo:

With raps like the video you posted in r2 do you blame us for not being quick to believe in astrology?
Posted by Petfish 7 months ago
I'm a little confused. Does Con begin arguments in Round 1 or does Con simply accept/provide birthday in round 1?
Vote Placed by Leugen9001 7 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Full forfeit from Con. Con said that horoscopes had no evidence, but Pro then provided evidence in round 2 and made other offensive points, so Con's case couldn't stand--especially with the forfeiure.