illluminations
rockcityboy

Astrology is Untrue

illluminations

illluminations

Pro

I am proposing astrology is untrue. By untrue I mean it cannot make accurate predictions about the future by which a mystical, ancient, or supernatural phenomena allows it to do so.
rockcityboy

Con

Ahhh these situations. Although I have to admit that astrology may be inaccurate sometimes, it is true for some people.
Astrology can be true some of the times. Me myself match most of the requirements for my zodiac
illluminations

Pro

For something to be considered true, and even more simply, for something to make claims about the future, human personality, and so forth, it must be based in science and proven true to be taken seriously, thus being subject to scientific method. Astrology has failed every test when put through scientific examination (http://undsci.berkeley.edu... and http://www.scientificexploration.org... and for a complete list of studies http://www.truthmagazine.com...
). Every opportunity to be proven true, to have any validity, it has failed, year after year, century after century. Astrology is therefore a pseudo-science claiming to have knowledge is it clearly does not posses. Astrology has been disproved by science, it is unfalsifiable --an essential component of science which sets it apart from non science -- as well as astrology illuminates confirmation bias in subjects during studies on astrology (http://skeptico.blogs.com...) Confirmation biased is when one look for events or instances that support their beliefs but discard the ones that counter their beliefs.
Secondly, the astrological sign is incorrect. The zodiac was illustrated long before numerous planets and stars in our solar system had been discovered, furthermore, the cosmos have shifted since the zodiac was composed more than 25,000 years ago (http://www.historyworld.net...). With convolutions in the understanding of astrology's beginnings, as well as it not being scientific, the aspect that the cosmos have shifted since the zodiac was drawn is yet another enormous hindrance in astrology. Also, their is no reason to believe that the constellations have any impact on the future or human personality, as science has studied this concept, and has retrieved no validity to this claim.
Thirdly, claims such as "Me myself match most of the requirements for my zodiac" is easily able to be unpacked. Confirmation biased as we discussed above plays a major role. A study conducted by Dr. Douglas Hofstadter, a cognitive psychologist, gave hundreds of people a questionnaire, though no one knew all the questionnaires were the same and their answers didn't matter, as they would all individuality receive the same response a few days later. The response read "Some of your aspirations tend to be pretty unrealistic. At times you are extroverted, affable, sociable, while at other time you are introverted, wary and reserved. You have found it unwise to be too frank in revealing yourself to others. You pride yourself on being an independent thinker and do not accept others' opinions without satisfactory proof. You prefer a certain amount of change and variety, and become dissatisfied when hemmed in by restrictions and limitations. At times you have serious doubts as to whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing. Disciplined and controlled on the outside, you tend to be worrisome and insecure on the inside. . . While you have some personality weaknesses, you are generally able to compensate for them. You have a great deal of unused capacity which you have not turned to your advantage. You have a tendency to be critical of yourself. You have a strong need for other people to like you and for them to admire you" in which they all agreed it accurately described them" (http://www.truthmagazine.com...). This is exactly what astrology does combined with confirmation biased, it makes general mundane claims in hopes of applying to everyone, if certain claims don't apply, the people who want to believe tend to forget those particular non applicable claims; however these claims are not influenced by "a mystical, ancient, or supernatural phenomena [that] allows it to do so."
Lastly, to make predictions about the future without science is absurd, but ignoring some crucial examples is absurd as well. Identical twins don't have the same future, being showed the immediate or long-term future has larger more complicated implications for philosophical issues, such as one could alter the outcome of the future thus proving the future predictions untrue.
rockcityboy

Con

rockcityboy forfeited this round.
illluminations

Pro

It is unfortunate my opponent forfeited the previous round. My original arguments still stand, based in evidence. My opponent may try to spin an argument from the realm of a subjective nature, such as "well sometimes astrology can make accurate predictions". This is not adequate because it does not follow the conditions of the debate which I defined in round one.

My arguments firmly stand, based in evidence, counter evidence, and common sense.
rockcityboy

Con

rockcityboy forfeited this round.
illluminations

Pro

It's peculiar my opponent would accept this debate but neglect to put any serious effort forth at attempting some form of refutation, as well as commenting on this debate he was going to argue for the past round.

My arguments stand.
rockcityboy

Con

rockcityboy forfeited this round.
Posted by rockcityboy 2 years ago
rockcityboy
Wow how did that happen. I am going to have to do my rebuttal in this round. But how did I forfeit??
Posted by Atmas 2 years ago
Atmas
That's good and I respect that. I was pointing out the various views you've expressed that are typically held by atheists, yet you're a devout believer.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
atmas. I did not give an opinion . I stated a fact. All of the stars in the heavens were up there the day I was born. Not one of them influenced my life.And none of them will. I do not look to the stars for guidance, but to the word.

I have been in the word for 40 years. And trust me, without it life would be most boring. Unless you get into the death system.Then it is not boring, just deadly.

I never base my life on other peoples experiences. If all people stopped believing in God at 50, that would mean nothing to me. I have never been one to follow the crowd. At 66 I am going as strong as that day in 1974. It is a great life. I do not want out.
Posted by Atmas 2 years ago
Atmas
You confuse me Bodie, one second you're religious and the next you're secular. I know you're religious, so why do you have secular opinions? Perhaps age has taught you some things after all, even if you still clasp your religion firmly. Did you know, most 50+ year olds stop being religious and instead focus on the life they have now? It makes sense, half a century of having faith in something can get tiring.
Posted by Theunkown 2 years ago
Theunkown
@cheyennebodie: If you want to get tecnical, 50% of stars were on not above you (the ones visible from the other side of the earth)

:P
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
I was asked once, " what star were you born under". I said, " all of them, they were all up there the day I was born".

Every decision we make contributes to our future. From the smallest to the largest. Our future is exactly what we sow in words and deeds.There is no such thing as luck.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
illluminationsrockcityboyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture