Lej
tp_CC

Asymmetrical maps can be acceptable for public rotation in Tagpro

Started: 10/2/2014 Category: Games

Lej

Pro

Round 1 will be used for acceptance of this debate, as well as defining words.

TagPro - An html5 game hosted on tagpro.gg
Symmetrical Map - A map that has NO differences on either side/base/paths/routes/etc.
Asymmetrical Map - A map that has just ONE difference from one half to the other. One tile off would be considered asymmetrical.
Public Rotation - The current maps that are in rotation.

Good luck to my contender, and I look forward to a great debate.
tp_CC

Con

Your definition of an asymmetrical map is incorrect, however. A map that is asymmetrical can have more than 'just ONE' difference from one half to the other.

With that being said, best of luck to you Lejjy.
Lej

Pro

Yes, you are absolutely right. I mean't to say "ATLEAST one difference.". Not "JUST one difference.".

For one, Tagpro current already has a few asymmetrical maps in rotation. However, I do NOT believe the current asymmetrical maps in rotation are acceptable.. For example, Backdoor WOULD have perfect rotational symmetry, if the powerup wasn't 1 tile closer to the blue base. (This was caused by the map creator making the height an even number of tiles, meaning there would be no center tile vertically for the powerup to be placed on.) Anyways, this powerup, causes the map to become asymmetrical, but definitely not acceptable as one team will have an advantage on getting to the powerup quicker.

My position is that an asymmetrical map CAN be designed in a way to be completely balanced.. Many games (such as Starcraft, Dota, etc). have perfectly balanced maps, while still be asymmetrical. This can be accomplished in many ways which I hope to iterate on in my next argument. Limit Reached
tp_CC

Con

tp_CC forfeited this round.
Lej

Pro

Lej forfeited this round.
tp_CC

Con

tp_CC forfeited this round.
Lej

Pro

Lej forfeited this round.
tp_CC

Con

tp_CC forfeited this round.