Lucyisrandom
debate-a-doom

At school pieces of art work shouldn't be graded/levelled

debate-a-doom

Lucyisrandom

Pro

I believe at school pieces of art work shouldn't be graded. I think it is unfair to give someone a low level on a piece of artwork if the soul creator is happy with the piece of artwork. Every bodies interpretation is different so I find it unfair to grade a piece of work.
debate-a-doom

Con

There is a reason why some artists are very famous and a lot of money would be paid for their art work, and other people's art isn't as popular/famous.
In school, when a kid is not as good as another kid at math, sometimes no matter how hard they try, they will never be as good. Some kids will never be able to solve very very difficult mathematical problems, and some kids will never be incredibly artists. Those subjects both are graded in school, because that is a way to allow you to know which one is better than the other. Saying all art pieces are just as good, is undermining the subject of art. My drawings will never be as good as Piccaso's or Dali's.

Art is harder to measure, just like it's harder in a history test to say if the answer you gave should be graded 80 or 90, and in math it's rather straightforward -how- you grade it. That doesn't mean that there is no one that is better than the other in art, it just means you need to think harder to know how to grade it.

Usually, school standards allow you, even if you are very bad at something, to hold decent scores, because it's fit for the average kid and not for the brilliant one in each subject. In that way it doesn't majorly harm you if you are not amazing in arts, or for that matter if you struggle in history/math.
Lucyisrandom

Pro

I understand what you are saying. I'm not trying to say that everyone is a great artist but I think that if someone has done a good piece of artwork and they get a low grade for it ( when it is a good piece ) they may be disheartened and think they are no good at art.

Every bodies interpretation is different for instance some people think that Matisse's snail picture was rubbish while on the other hand people may like it. I mean I'm not trying to say every piece of artwork is spectucular and should be hanged in a gallery.

Isn't art all about expressing your self though? So shouldn't people be able to draw, paint, sketch how they feel and not be judged for that?
debate-a-doom

Con

yes, people should draw whatever they feel like, at home.
In art class, the point is to teach you, when they grade you art work badly, they should give you feedback as to why you got that grade, what would have made it better, perhaps if you added color or shadows. You don't need to accept their criticism, but if they grade all ok art pieces a very high grade, no one will learn.

It should be thought of as a professional's opinion, I do think the teacher should explain in class that it's her personal opinion and although somewhat professional, it might be that other people disagree with her. She should say that if you get low grades it doesn't mean you are a bad artist, in fact, most really successful people kind of failed in their fields in school.

Because there are better and worse pieces, I do think people should be graded, as long as they are given feedback and it's a learning process.
Lucyisrandom

Pro

Yes but can you really learn art ?
I believe that you can draw naturally or you can't. I don't think someone can just walk in and teach you art.

It is good to get feed back on a piece of art work but not everyone wants it from an art teacher. Yes they may have an art degree but it doesn't mean they will mark it professionally. I think that art teachers will go on their personal opinion of the work rather than looking at the piece with an open mind.

I think that mark schemes are completely wrong in art. There's no right or wrong answer in the subject. It's your interpretation.
debate-a-doom

Con

I have a very close friend, she draws amazing. She now started going to this art class (not in school) and she came back to me and she was very lightened up. In their art class they were told to bring something they had created, and the art teacher showed them how to make it better. He taught them painting techniques, and how you know where to put more shadows and such things.

The painting she brought back after class was a very improved version of the original one.

If an art teacher is not acting professional thats not ok, and they should be changed, but that is irrelevant, unless you want to see that all art teachers are incredibly unprofessional, which is highly unlikely.

And I disagree with you that there is no wrong in art. Art has "fashions" times where specific kinds of arts are more accpeted and others less, some art is timeless, which is usually if you draw a painting very true to the actual thing you were capturing, nearly like a photo, it will always be amazing and treated well.
Posted by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
Lucy, a vote without a justification is called a vote bomb. You can report hilton16's vote here, if you'd like to have his vote countered. Plenty of friendly people there--

http://www.debate.org...
Posted by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
I've taught and been a student in art classes before, and it can be quite easy to grade objectively. If you do a unit on pencils, you can ask them the difference between H and B pencils, or to successfully employ cross-hatching, or to use two or more of the ways discussed to create the illusion of depth. Introductory classes tend to be focused on learning basic tools, concepts, and techniques. Outside of grade school, a common method is to hide the author's name and have other students provide critiques and/or vote on the most appealing pieces of artwork.
Vote Placed by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
Lucyisrandomdebate-a-doomTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro had some very poor and unsubstantiated arguments which con easily dismantled, and pro had some atrocious grammar/spelling as well.... Every bodies =/= everybody's
Vote Placed by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
Lucyisrandomdebate-a-doomTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's case was that art cannot be taught, teachers often don't act professionally, and there's no right or wrong in art. Con addressed each point. (1) First, Con presents a personal example of a friend learning art. Even without this, the plethora of art books and classes intuitively speaks against this; (2) While some teachers may act unprofessionally, Con points out this problem can exist in any class. There's no reason schools can't require professional teachers, again as in the example she gave; (3) Con points out some art sells better and there are great artists. Pro contends 'great art' may just be a fad. Con retorts that some have been quite timeless. Arguments: I vote for Con, as Pro did not meet the burden of proof. In fact, I believe Con effectively supported the opposite point.
Vote Placed by hilton16 4 years ago
hilton16
Lucyisrandomdebate-a-doomTied
Reasons for voting decision: con won