At the current rate, is the Swazi royal Family at risk of being deposed?

I personally believe it is quite a possibility that the royal family of the Swazi royal family would be deposed. His Majesty King Mswati III promotes polygamy and shows little compassion for his people. It is quite possible that if tradition persists to rule in today's society, and the Swazi people aren't seeing much being done for them, then a major political revolution will take place in Swaziland. It's not a matter of scenarios, it's a fact.

I am not going to try and argue that Swaziland is the most democratic country in the world – it isn't – it is one of the world's few remaining absolute monarchies and ranks joint 139th (with Iran) out of 167 countries on the Economist Democracy Index list.

However, compared with much of sub-Saharan Africa it is a peaceful nation and the Swaziland government enjoys relatively good international relations.

The official US position on Swaziland is:

"The United States seeks to maintain and strengthen the good bilateral relations that have existed since the kingdom became independent in 1968. U.S. policy stresses continued economic and political reform and improved industrial relations."

Meanwhile the British, who were the country's former colonial rulers, position is:

"There are long historical links between the UK and Swaziland. Relations between the two countries remain good. Several thousand British citizens live and work in Swaziland."

The EU position is similar:

"The monarchy has strong political power, although civil rights are reinforced in a Constitution introduced in 2005, and traditional culture is still widely practised."

The main regional power, South Africa, which surrounds Swaziland on three sides position is simply:

"Swaziland is a member of the Southern African Customs Union which allows for a free flow of trade between the two countries."

There is major outcry for political upheaval in Swaziland, from within the country or from the international community (as there is in nearby Zimbabwe for example) so I don't accept my opponent's assertion that "a major political revolution will take place in Swaziland. It's not a matter of scenarios, it's a fact."

Nootral4life forfeited this round.

brian_eggleston forfeited this round.

Nootral4life forfeited this round.

As my opponent did not have the opportunity to post his counter argument in time, I will forfeit this round in order to square things up!

Nootral4life forfeited this round.

I don't suppose this debate is going to go straight to the top of the "most popular" list!

Despite the fact that I was out of the country for some time, I'm ready to continue the debate.

Continuing from where we left of, My opponent disagrees with the possibility of their being a major political revolution occurring in Swaziland, but I ask him to take a close look at the current state of the country. Currently, Swaziland has the highest rate of AIDS/HIV infection rate. Second, the polygamous habits of the king is putting an economic strain on the country, due to the fact that he's constantly spending money on his supposed "wives" (whom are nothing more that consorts), by constructing lavish palaces, purchasing expensive cars, and practically not giving a hoot about the consequences of his transactions.
Another catalyst to what may come, is the fact that the vast majority is impoverished. Along with the high AIDS/HIV rates, the country's health care has completely deteriorated, and with tradition comes consequences, causing many of those who are infected with the disease to be chucked aside by their families. Also on a political level, tradition has its consequential results, having that the people cannot vote, have or form political parties, and that they have a selfish fool of a king, the royal family is pretty much on the verge of saying bye-bye to the crown and throne, that is if the country will democratize itself and ditch the current idiot.

AIDS is huge problem also in neighbouring South Africa. The causes of the epidemic in the region are complex and not solely attributable to bad governance - promiscuity amongst young women and the traditional reluctance of men to use condoms are also major factors in the spread of the disease.

So the Swazi Royal family are a drain on the national recourses? You think they are profligate?

Does the King have his own Royal Train?

Does he have a fleet of Rolls-Royces, Bentley and Daimler limousines including bespoke models specially made for him?

Does he have his own fleet of jets and helicopters for his personal use?

Does he have a string of fabulous palaces and country estates?

You see, the Swazi Royals can't compete with the indolent regal scroungers that make up the British Monarchy. They are wealthy beyond the dreams of avarice but the British taxpayer still spends many millions of Pounds a year subsidising their extravagant lifestyle.

Britain doesn't have a written constitution and the Queen, who is an unelected head of state and also commander in chief of the armed services, must approve all laws.

Things may be little better in Swaziland and it would seem that an expansion in the democratic processes would be desirable but the Royal families in both countries are central to the respective nations' culture, heritage and tradition and should be cherished as such.
Posted by Nootral4life 8 years ago
I'm sorry everyone, I just came back from trinidad on friday. I'm sorry if i took so long. any ways, Mr. Eggleston, I apologize for my tardiness, I wish to continue this debate. Forgive me everyone. (i'm not forfeiting on purpose because I'm weak in will, I'm still up for a challenge!)
Posted by brian_eggleston 8 years ago
This is a 5 round debate. If my opponent continues to forfeit his rounds and I follow suit, and given that it took such a long time for the debate to be accepted in the first place, this could turn out to be the longest-running debate on ever posted on this site!
Posted by s0m31john 8 years ago
Debates should expire. This is ridiculous.

I would be less angy if you'd at least communicate with us, but instead you're just keeping us in the dark. If it wasn't gonna happen by the end of July, put out another update on the news section.

Posted by Who 8 years ago
>> Evolutionary Biology supports polygamy

Does it? Seems like the opposite, seeing the utter lack thereof in most modern societies. Seems to have been selected against, if anything.
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 8 years ago
Technically that only matters if you want lots of children.
Posted by Rezzealaux 8 years ago
Evolutionary Biology supports polygamy.

Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 8 years ago
Not that I'm a fan of Swaziland's king, but what's wrong with polygamy?
Vote Placed by JBlake 7 years ago
Vote Placed by PoeJoe 8 years ago