BryanV12
Phoenix61397

Atheisam is right

Phoenix61397

BryanV12

Pro

I believe atheism is right becouse for centries the human race has beloved in so many gods and we say there fake of false what makes this religion different
Phoenix61397

Con

I believe atheism is an incorrect theory. Yes, my opponent is correct that throughout human history, many people have believed in all sorts of gods. These beliefs stem from the human desire to understand exactly why we exist, and how we exist. Atheism is one explanation for these beliefs. It relies heavily on unproven scientific explanation, such as the Big Bang theory and evolution. However, Christianity, contrary to many beliefs, does not reject science. It just offers a different, just as viable, just as proven explanation for the source of life. Neither of these ideologies can be proven correct or incorrect in life on earth. My opponent has claimed that atheism is right. However, this cannot be proven, and all atheist theologies for the creation of the world are theories, not laws or facts. I cannot claim any more about Christian theologies, but one cannot claim definitively that atheism is "right" if it cannot be proven. 2.18 people in the world claim Christian beliefs, while 1.6 billion people are Muslim and somewhere around 15 million are Jewish. All of these people believe in God, and thus by mass authority, a support can be given to the fact that God could in fact exist. There is no evidence that disproves the existence of a God, and therefore atheism cannot be proven correct. This will be my main argument, as the debate here is over whether or not atheism is right, not whether theism is wrong. I feel that the highest number of voters will find this argument the most impressive. However, I have a few more arguments below:

I will start with a quick refutation: The second part of my opponent's argument stems from false analogy. Just because Ancient Greek and Roman gods are a false explanation for the origin of the world, it does not mean that Christianity/theism (which I'm assuming "this religion" refers to) is a false explanation as well. Christianity is rooted in historical fact, documented by many sources, not only Christian ones. Most scholars also agree that Jesus Christ was at least a real person who was crucified by Pontius Pilate. [http://dmc.members.sonic.net...]
This is nothing at all like the Ancient Greek myths, where they just, for lack of a better way to phrase this, made up something to explain what they didn't know. Some of you atheist readers are, no doubt, saying: Well that applies to Christianity as well! Well, in the ancient myths, nothing was rooted in history, or any observable event for that matter. They just knew there was some cause for nature (I believe this cause to be God). This way of thinking does not describe Christianity, which is rooted in history, and therefore a valid analogy cannot be drawn.

The last argument I will bring up is that of the order and complexity of the universe. Even if a Big Bang happened (speaking of a Big Bang, where could the energy have come from to cause it? Due to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed...just a thought), could a universe that worked as perfectly as ours be created by something as random as this occurrence, with no thought whatsoever? Highly unlikely. With that I will end my argument.
BryanV12

Pro

BryanV12 forfeited this round.
Phoenix61397

Con

Vote con! Pro hasn't proven atheism is right, or proven anything for that matter.
BryanV12

Pro

BryanV12 forfeited this round.
Phoenix61397

Con

Well once again I present a lack of proof that atheism is a correct theory. I take this forfeit to mean pro has conceded that atheism is impossible to prove correct. I hope he will at least give me one round of debate, though. Come back pro! In the meantime, everybody vote con! Thanks!
BryanV12

Pro

BryanV12 forfeited this round.
Phoenix61397

Con

One again, my opponent has given no argument and has not refuted my arguments. This is in essence concession, so vote con! Thanks.
Vote Placed by aburk903 3 years ago
aburk903
BryanV12Phoenix61397Tied
Reasons for voting decision: The key term in the debate is misspelled in the title. Con is the only party to include sources (or to post anything of any true magnitude). Regardless of the subsequent forfeitures, Pro's first round was not substantial either.