bman7720
voxcaussae

Atheism Contains Those With the Same Hatred as Many Theist Beliefs

bman7720

Pro

First round acceptance. I will argue that atheists are just as guilty of being judgmental and closed-minded as theistic beliefs, such as Catholicism, are accused of.

Definitions:
Hatred: A feeling of anger resulting in biased behavior towards the other party
Theistic: A belief system based off spiritual beings i.e. Catholicism, Satanism, and Islam.
voxcaussae

Con

I am interested to see how the pro can defend a group of pedophiles, homophobes, and racists in 5 rounds, but I feel I am ready to take on this argument. I applaud the pro, who has not singled out a particular group to defend, but decided to defend all of Theism. I will start off my defense by asking the Pro a few questions. First off, I would like the Pro to give an example of a situation in which Atheists have shown hate equal to or greater than that of their Theist counterparts. Secondly, is there, in your opinion, a link between one's non-belief in a spiritual being, and one's tendency to feel hatred? If so, why do you think that is? If not, why judge people on whether they believe in an invisible man in the sky in the first place?
bman7720

Pro

I would like to point out that the debate is not over the groups, but rather those within them. In no way does this respect my views on any of the groups mentioned in this debate. To answer Con's first question, one only has to look to the mock-religion of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. On the Facebook page of this group, the majority of the posts are anti-theistic arguments. These arguments are often screenshots of a theist, commonly Christian, making a post proclaiming their beliefs. I call this phenomenon "Atheism Aggression." The most common cause for this is anger over recently converting from Christianity, or some other theistic belief system, to atheism. I have seen first-hand atheists that refuse to participate in anything with the slightest association to Christianity, and even insulting those who believe in these belief systems. The common view is that theists are ignorant and simple-minded morons.

To address Con's second question, I do believe there is a connection. Atheists tend to be very scientifically minded people, and rather narcissistic as well. It's common that this causes atheists to look down upon theists, who have no substantial evidence to support their beliefs.
voxcaussae

Con

After reading your argument, I would like to lay down a few terms:

Anti-theist: Someone who is directly OPPOSED to theism
Atheist: Someone who does not believe in a god

Notice that the two are not synonymous, but are often used interchangeably. While the Flying Spaghetti Monster facebook page is a good example of Anti-theism, not all atheists are like this. While the media portrays all atheists as scientists or as snobby middle-aged white men, atheism can also simply be a philosophical view. Many philosophers and extremely spiritual people have also been noted to be atheists. Take the Greek Philosopher Diagoras for example. Diagoras was often considered the first atheist, and at that time, there was no particle accelerator to smash apart hadrons to search for quarks. Diagoras based his beliefs off of unpunished crime, claiming that if there was indeed a divine being, criminals would receive divine justice.

As for your response to my second question, I don't think a lot of atheists hate theists. There are plenty of radical anti-theists all over the internet, but for the majority of atheists, there is a since of sympathy for theists. Many atheists feel religion corrupts and brainwashes people, and while they don't hate theism, they do feel sorry, but not in a disrespectful sense. It is the anti-theists that mess up the public image of atheism.
bman7720

Pro

While I do agree that anti-theism is not a synonym for atheism, I have to point out that anti-theism lies within atheism. Again, this debate is not over the groups, but rather the people within them. The majority of Islam, Christianity, and even atheism is composed of civil-minded people, who are overshadowed by the radicals that make the news.

The very foundation of many theistic beliefs is the idea of co-existences and tolerance, however that does not stop the few radicals from stereotyping the entire group, just as happened to atheism. My point on this debate is that, both theistic systems and atheism contain the same radicals who soil the name of the entire ideology.

Let's look at the radical groups associated with Islam, such as ISIS. Simply because these few numbers of a wide-spread religion choose violence and hatred, it is stereotyped over all Muslims. Because of churches like Westboro, Christians are stereotyped as bigots and closed-minded. Because of people like the majority of FSM (Flying Spaghetti Monster), atheists are stereotyped as rude and narcissistic.
voxcaussae

Con

voxcaussae forfeited this round.
bman7720

Pro

I will not argue to allow equal arguments.
voxcaussae

Con

I apologize for the forfeit, I lost track of time. However, I am a bit confused by your argument. The title of your argument "Atheism contains those with the same hatred as many theist beliefs", the key word is many. Nevertheless, using your point about ISIS, a hate-based radical Muslim Caliphate, where is the Atheist Caliphate? Antitheists can get aggressive, but they aren't videotaping themselves beheading "heathens".
bman7720

Pro

bman7720 forfeited this round.
voxcaussae

Con

I apologize for the forfeit, but it seems as if Pro cannot find a legitimate response. Vote Con.
Posted by debate_power 1 year ago
debate_power
The title is absurd.
Posted by Ozzyhead 1 year ago
Ozzyhead
Hmm. Sounds interesting
Posted by Ozzyhead 1 year ago
Ozzyhead
Hmm. Sounds interesting
Posted by bman7720 1 year ago
bman7720
Yes, the con will argue that theism has more hate-filled participants than atheism.
Posted by Ozzyhead 1 year ago
Ozzyhead
If I argued that there are more hate filled theists than there are atheists, would I be an okay opponent?
Posted by bman7720 1 year ago
bman7720
It's moreso that the stereotype exists equally in both
Posted by usernamesareannoying 1 year ago
usernamesareannoying
Isn't it a given, that there would be at least *some* who would match the definition of "hatred", in any ideology or religion?
Posted by ApathyWalrus 1 year ago
ApathyWalrus
I believe that you should change the title of your debate as asserting that atheists can have "the same hatred as many theist beliefs" is no doubt true; however, asserting that ATHEISM contains the same hatred is much different. One is an assertion on individual people's beliefs while the other is a claim against a non-belief. Atheism itself can't have hatreds because it is just the non-belief in a god.
Posted by bman7720 1 year ago
bman7720
However, being an atheist myself, I also want to point out that atheism is not a religion, and therefor there are no standards or structure to it.
Posted by bman7720 1 year ago
bman7720
It's fine, it's common to confuse a critique for people as a critique of their organizations.