Rayday
yuvank

Atheism Is A Religion

yuvank
Updated: 3 weeks ago Status: Post Voting Period

Rayday

Pro

A religion doesn"t have to posit a god who must be identified or worshiped. Some religions are polytheistic (Hinduism, Mormonism), Some monotheistic (Judaism, Christianity, Islam), Some non-theistic (Buddhism). I"d say the new atheists and their religion are "anti-theistic. " But their atheism is religious nonetheless is a set of beliefs acceptable to a faith community. Just as there are orthodox Christian beliefs, There is an atheist orthodoxy as well. In brief, It is that EVERYTHING can be explained as the product of unintentional, Undirected, Purposeless evolution. No truth claim is acceptable if it cannot be subjected to scientific scrutiny.
yuvank

Con

'Religion' a noun meaning "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, Especially a personal God or gods". Someone who does believe in god and does not practice any sort of religious and spiritual activity is called an atheist.
'Athiest' etymologically is someone who does not believes or lacks belief in god, So how can someone who does believe in the institution of god, Can be termed as religious. This topic is in itself an oxymoron, Religion is following someone unknown to us, But is believed to be controlling our lives, Whereas atheism is just opposite to it. It is something like calling an orange an apple.
Rayday

Pro

Definitions have no value so don't ever bring them into a debate there is no single right way or wrong way to use terms. Their boundaries can be drawn differently by different people, And their meanings can change over time. Religion, A particular system of faith and worship. Religion is based on Faith, Every religion is based on faith as a matter of fact. Like I said Just as there are orthodox Christian beliefs, There is an atheist orthodoxy as well. In brief, It is that EVERYTHING can be explained as the product of unintentional, Undirected, Purposeless evolution. No truth claim is acceptable if it cannot be subjected to scientific scrutiny. That is what an atheist has FAITH in because they cannot physically prove everything. And like I said Faith = Religion.
yuvank

Con

First of all, I do not accept that FAITH=Religion. If I have faith in humanity it does not mean I am religious, If I have faith in science it does not mean my religious. If we don't look into the definition of something, Just because it can change in the future, Then what is even the point of defining something. A generally accepted meaning of something tells the people that they are talking about something common, And if you change the meaning of something on your own for your personal benefit, It's not going to be accepted universally. I say again atheism is not a religion, If it is then who do we worship (or to say who do we have a common faith in).
There are two kinds of people one who when do not understand anything of this universe, They say it is built by God, And you can never fully understand the creations of God & the other kind of persons are those who do not believe in God and to some of these it does not matter why the world is like this and to some, The world can be explained via science, And if it is not been explained yet, It will be in foreseeable future, But only via science. No superhuman power or faith in something explains our existence. Every religion has some specific beliefs, Be it Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Christianity or whatever. What are the believes that an atheistic person or "Atheism as a religion will have", That every atheist seems to follow?
Rayday

Pro

First of all, I do not accept that FAITH=Religion. If I have faith in humanity it does not mean I am religious, If I have faith in science it does not mean my religious.

Faith Means believing is something that you don't know for sure. So you have faith that Infinty exists Evan though you can't prove it. That is your Atheist religion. Having faith in something you can't prove but you know it's there. Doesn't that sound like every other religion?

I say again atheism is not a religion, If it is then who do we worship (or to say who do we have a common faith in).

You have faith in something not someone. You have that something made the universe not someone. You have faith that something will change humanity not someone. Your religion is different but a religion nonetheless. Everyone Atheist has faith in that stament if you read what I wrote in my first to arguments you would know that. Please counter my every statment.

The world can be explained via science, And if it is not been explained yet, It will be in foreseeable future, But only via science. No superhuman power or faith in something explains our existence. Every religion has some specific beliefs

You only have faith that it will be proved via science. Otherwise you would know everything. This is you belief. That everything can be explained with science if not now then soon.
yuvank

Con

If you carefully read my previous argument, You will come across this line " the other kind of persons are those who do not believe in God and to some of these it does not matter why the world is like this and to some. . . ", This line clearly expresses that EVERYONE WHO IS AN ATHEIST NEED NOT BE A BELIEVER OF SCIENCE. So you saying that science is the faith of every Atheist, I don't seem to agree with that. There are a lot of people who are atheist, But that does not mean they are pro-science.

and I am curious to know what do you think is the meaning of "atheism" and "religion" separately. Please explain.

"Atheism is a religion" is an oxymoron, Period.
Rayday

Pro

If they do not believe in science what is there to believe in? I find that very illogical. And if they don't believe in science they are not Atheist since that is the Atheist religion.

Atheism is is that EVERYTHING can be explained as the product of unintentional, Undirected, Purposeless evolution. No truth claim is acceptable if it cannot be subjected to scientific scrutiny. They have faith in that.

Religion a system where people have faith in something. Can be one person In that religion could be a billion if it matches the requirements it is a religion.
yuvank

Con

From the very first sentence of your argument, It seems like you are forcing us to believe in something. Why does one have to believe in something (just to account for your argument)? And I am sorry if you find it very illogical but don't you find your definition of Atheism illogical, Oh wait, Why would you find it illogical, Because it is not even a definition, It just a mix of something with something copied and pasted from another site.

If you didn't want to put effort into it, Then why even you started it.

I googled your definition of atheist and you know what I found, A site oh sorry a Blogspot, And what I found on that Blogspot is very much similar (just trying to be nice, It all copied) to what you wrote in above arguments.

http://debunkingatheists. Blogspot. Com/2010/07/atheism-is-religion. Html

As per my opinion, Your arguments do not have any substance, You are just repeating/para-phrasing/copy-pasting some statements which you have read on another site and to me, It seems like you didn't even understand them.

Atheism is not a religion. I rest my case.
Posted by William4444 9 hours ago
William4444
Atheism is a religion since many people believe in it (Atheism)
Posted by Titanbear 4 days ago
Titanbear
no its not ok? Stop asking me. Id rather have sex
Posted by vncnt 5 days ago
vncnt
Wow a couple years ago I actually realized this exact sentiment and I wrote an essay on it. It is not at all farfetched. I don"t think atheism is a religion in itself. I do see it as a basis of religious behavior. One of the things I remember writing is the way I see atheism in the way many atheists carry themselves, Is not so much a lack of belief but the presence of disbelief. It"s a bit too proactive to not be considered a means of exercising religious freedom or, For the lack of better words, Freedom from religion. I base this observation in the atheist"s overdependence in science and sheer, And sometimes ignorant (for description"s sake), Denial in anything remotely metaphysical. Just like in any theist religion, Self-righteousness may ensue.
Posted by sakshichoudhary 1 week ago
sakshichoudhary
atheism is a not a religion. Atheism believe that there is no existence of God but most of the so called atheism believe in supernatural power. They just believe that there is something that is always stand by their side and propelling them towards their target and consider it as a supernatural power. They don't believe God just because they can't see GOD but have then seen any supernatural power. One of my friend used to told herself atheism but she believed in ghost. I really can't understand if GOD is no exists, How can she believes that ghost are their.
Posted by pakau11 1 week ago
pakau11
pro's got a point but poor presentation.
definitions are relative. (funny, Oxymoron is it? )
easy 6 points there.
and also for the voter
1. The kid nowhere denied the existence of god and science is inexplicable to an extent that creator of life could be a single virus.
Posted by Mister_Man 1 week ago
Mister_Man
"Definitions have no value so don't ever bring them into a debate. " Jesus Christ, This is the point where you threw away all hope of winning this debate.
Posted by avipacman7 1 week ago
avipacman7
Looking at round 2, Faith is when you believe in something that you don't know exists. So by saying you have faith that there is no supreme beings, You are actually saying there's a possibility. Or, You just don't have faith at all because you refuse to believe in something not yet scientifically proven.
But, Overall, Great debate on both sides. Good job guys!
Posted by asta 2 weeks ago
asta
I think con won 5 to 0.
Posted by Foolishseeker 2 weeks ago
Foolishseeker
Religion is a madman concept written by men from the distant past with no proof other than a book and word of mouth of believers it is said to be factual but i haven"t witnessed it for myself I"m a doubting Thomas which I think is a better position than just accepting everything everyone has been told to Believe just Believe why because
Posted by 32doni32nido32 3 weeks ago
32doni32nido32
So, Uh, @Rayday, Are you going to answer my first-comment questions or no?
Vote Placed by backwardseden 3 weeks ago
backwardseden
RaydayyuvankTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro "Definitions have no value" He lost the debate by that statement. 1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God. 2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings. That's all atheism is and noting more. Pro tried to insert his "Atheism is is that EVERYTHING can be explained as the product of unintentional, Undirected, Purposeless evolution." etc yet how would he know when there's no book on atheists and how atheists, act, feel, dream, walk, talk etc What Con conveyed very well was that each atheist is his own individual. That's not a religion. Con "I say again atheism is not a religion, If it is then who do we worship (or to say who do we have a common faith in)." He's right. That's not a religion if people are their own individuals. Con also correctly pointed out... who do atheists worship? How can atheists worship anyone or anything if each atheist is an individual? That's not a religion. It takes a group(s) of people to become a religion as well as worship something.