JayShay
Jedd

Atheism Requires Faith

JayShay

JayShay

Con

Hello.

My opponent (Pro) will attempt to prove that atheism requires faith. I (Con) will attempt to refute my opponent's arguments and demonstrate that atheism does not require faith.

Definitions
Atheism: the lack of belief in god or gods
Faith: complete trust or confidence in someone or something without the need for evidence

Format
4 rounds
No acceptance round, Pro may begin upon entry
Time per round: up to 48 hours
Characters per round: up to 10,000 characters

Rules
Opponent must have completed 3 debates to enter
Serious debaters only please
No forfeiture

If there are questions, please write in the comments. Thanks!
Jedd

Pro

Ah darn... Wrong side... I'm terribly sorry man...

:/ This will be an instant win for you. I apologize for the mishap! Sorry man!
JayShay

Con

No worries, it happens :)
Jedd

Pro

So...greetings fellow atheist! What do you think of Buddhism though?
JayShay

Con

Greetings! I like Buddhism. From my understanding, it promotes connection with nature and oneself rather than adherence to dogma or the worship of a god, which I admire. I enjoyed reading the story of Siddhartha. Your thoughts?
Jedd

Pro

Me too m8. Prof. Richard Dawkins (evolutionary biologist and one of the world's most popular atheists) even said the wisdom may even be good! I've seen lots of atheist Buddhists too. There is some reincarnation stuff, but unlike other religions they say they aren't forced to believe those. I've read the teachings, they seem to be better than any self-help book out there.

Just one example: Some people are sitting at a banquet. Their stomachs are growling, the hunger is painful. But they don't eat. The food is not stale in any way, so why don't they eat and stop the suffering? Because they don't connect that pain to be the urge to eat. We have all the things we need. The food is right there. You just have to realize you need to eat.

This took me a few days to realize what it meant. You'll know.
JayShay

Con

Oh I know Richard Dawkins :) That's an interesting analogy; I'll ponder it. Also, aren't all Buddhists atheists? The Buddha wasn't thought to be a god, he was simply the first man to reach enlightenment, no? I haven't researched Buddhism as much as other religions
Jedd

Pro

Yeah m8, in some sense. But I read somewhere someone attending Buddhism classes asked his teacher 'Do you believe in God? Do you think God created the universe?' The reply was something like 'Yes, I do believe in God. God is the universe, the universe is God.'

Mindblown >:0
Posted by Jedd 1 year ago
Jedd
Make another one m8
Posted by JayShay 1 year ago
JayShay
LOL I was expecting a heated debate
Posted by Jedd 1 year ago
Jedd
Let's see how much points Jay can make haha
Posted by ErBoy 1 year ago
ErBoy
LOL 89 days 4 voting XD
Posted by Jedd 1 year ago
Jedd
Yeah m8 you should repost it sorry again for ruining it XP
Posted by JayShay 1 year ago
JayShay
I think I'll just drop this motion and perhaps come back to it at a later time. I don't want to debate someone just to call out their BS haha
Posted by matt8800 1 year ago
matt8800
Or maybe just clarify which definition it is not since there are really only two.

Christians say often that atheism requires faith but its possible they know its a BS red herring and wont take you up on it. Would be fun to watch if they did though. I bet one will stumble through and take you up on it though. At minimum, it calls them out on their BS.
Posted by JayShay 1 year ago
JayShay
Well the second google definition defines faith as "strong belief in God..." which atheists obviously do not have, which leaves the first definition of faith that reads "complete trust or confidence in someone or something" which is what I said. Maybe I should change the entire motion
Posted by matt8800 1 year ago
matt8800
Maybe you should simply define it by a link to https://www.google.com... and let the Christian pick his favorite one. Any one of the definitions would not be applicable to Atheism.
Posted by JayShay 1 year ago
JayShay
@matt8800 I don't know, should I repost it? Nobody seemed to accept the definitions, even though they are standard. I continue to hear people say that atheists have faith in there being no god, so I was sure someone would accept. Thoughts?
Vote Placed by logicinlife 1 year ago
logicinlife
JayShayJeddTied
Reasons for voting decision: Mixing it up
Vote Placed by famousdebater 1 year ago
famousdebater
JayShayJeddTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession. And yeah, all Buddhists are atheists.