Ad_Victoriam
KVDebates

Atheism and Ethics

Ad_Victoriam

Pro

This is a little game I would like to play with anybody who is both an atheist and believes in the oft quoted words of the Declaration of Independence: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness".

Can an atheist defend the basic idea behind the Declaration while still maintaining his/her worldview? Sorry, I guess you have to take out the Creator part to make that work -- but the document is still secular, right?

This is how its going to go: I'm going to pretend that I am an insanely rich, good-lookin', myopic, atheist, narcissist bastard who is also contemplating something along the lines of mass genocide and ethnic cleansing. The things I'm going to argue for are obviously going to be very offending -- that's the point though. Whoever takes up the debate will argue something boring, like people have value and so on.

This is going to be a philosophical discussion about ethics, one in which Con will be trying to convince me of the error of my ways while still maintaining a strict atheistic worldview (i.e. don't invoke a deity, higher power, spiritual realm, afterlife).

First Round is for acceptance only. I'll open the Second Round with my grand plan of cleaning the planet and the rest will follow.
KVDebates

Con

As I have read the parameters set forth by pro, it appears he is going to advocate for a sort of mass genocide and as con, I am to assert and substantiate an ethical objection. While espousing a naturalistic world view.
I gladly accept and look forward to an engaging, and hopefully less satirical and more erudite discussion than pro communicated in his initial round.
Good luck!
Ad_Victoriam

Pro

Ad_Victoriam forfeited this round.
KVDebates

Con

As I can not respond to a proposition that has not been stated or developed, I shall decline to present an argument this round.
Ad_Victoriam

Pro

Ad_Victoriam forfeited this round.
KVDebates

Con

I reiterate my prior statement
Ad_Victoriam

Pro

Ad_Victoriam forfeited this round.
KVDebates

Con

Pro has not upheld his BoP, vote con.

Also Atheist can have morals. Morality is concerned with the question of what should we do and if we can deduce that from pure ratonality, we can substantiate that atheist can have ethics. I say we should act in the way that promotes the best well being for everyone. All moral systems in existence are concerned with creating a better world. As humans we naturally act in a way that maximizes the well being for parties involved. And this is because humans have a natural predilection for happiness and an innate dislike of pain. And since morality is naturally concerned with making the world a better place, it follows we shoulf act in a way that increases happiness/ well being for the most people.
I would have much more detailed formal syllogism with premises and defenses but pro failed to debate.
Posted by Gallader20 2 years ago
Gallader20
I can't wait to see how this goes
Posted by Kozu 2 years ago
Kozu
If your playing the atheist role, why discuss this with another atheist?