Atheism and other misunderstandings!

Definition of ATHEISM

archaic : ungodliness, wickedness
a : a disbelief in the existence of deity
b : the doctrine that there is no deity

I decided to look up the definition of Atheism (Not that I didn't know what it meant) To illustrate a misunderstanding of the word. If you notice the first definition (Archaic) is wickedness, it makes a lot more sense why people are so offended by that word! At one point the word atheism evolved into simply not believing in God (Close to Agnosticism) and believing that there is no God (why people call atheism a belief) People like Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris claim to be atheist but are also anti-theist! They think that believing in the existence of God has many harmful ripple effects unseen by the believers! So they preach against it to help us be aware of the pitfalls that comes with faith and belief! My Debate is whether it matters which way you choose or how you represent yourself, it leads to a social conflict where being theist, atheist, agnostic, or anti-theist is picking sides in an ancient war! So I guess I am anti-Human behavior, regardless of which side your on!

I agree to a three round debate with you.

The heading of this preposed debate is "Atheism and other misunderstandings!"

You have positioned yourself as 'con'.
Therefore; I will take up the 'pro' side of the debate.

You have demonstrated a stronger than neutral feeling about 'atheism'.
Therefore; I will take the other part of the title.

So; you will be arguing against 'atheism' and I will be arguing for 'other misunderstandings'.

I wish you good health and good luck in this debate.

Note to all who made comments: I apologize that my topic for debate was not determinable! I guess I was almost in debate with myself whether or not to call myself anything (theist, atheist)... My rant spilled out from frustration because it seems like no matter which side you choose.. you loose! I think people pick religion like they pick football.. a reason to battle (In whatever form) So this was hardly a debate, it was more of trying to get my bearings on which side to debate!
P.S. the definition for atheism came from the merriam-websters dictionary!

To the debater: We might have to start this debate with a better topic, I would have a hard time debating on the side of theism!

Um, okay?

I don't understand the thing about the comments.

This is the second round of a debate, right?

However, I guess. That sometimes happens.

I might have been unclear also.
Sometimes, I tend to get definitions from Oxford dictionary.
Therefore; it is likely that we are not on the same page, so to speak.

Having already started this debate with a position; there is only one round left.

Why don't you state an argument for the final round?

Sorry my fault.. Worst debate ever! Anyways.. the people who left comments on my opening debate, I was letting them know that I didn't really have a clear topic for debate! I was struggling with people in my life wanting me to choose a position in the theist/atheist game! I realized that either way I chose, I would be on a side in a social battle! I was just expressing my frustration towards theism because it is the energy fueling this ignorant war (by war I mean muslim vs christian vs. atheist vs. etc.) I don't want to choose atheism because it separates me from many who I love! Not that we won't still care, its just... we will always have that conflict! Anyways sorry for the rant and not having anything to debate! Maybe your thoughts or a creative response?

Accordion to my original location in space..

My fault could be the case.

Worry about religious chomps not a bit.

Form it not containing word war best.

Crooked eye seems votes 3 to 1.
Posted by TheGodEmperor 3 years ago
I'd like to know where your definitions come from tbh. You claim archaic, but that might have only been when the church changed things up, the original definition stems before christ and back to Greece. A - without. Theism - belief in deity or deities. Together it's just "without a belief in deity or deities" which means no belief that God does exist nor a belief God does not exist.
Posted by Magic8000 3 years ago
I also agree with gordonjames. WTH is the resolution? Make your future debates have a resolution, for example "Gay marriage should be legal". This allows people to easily understand what Pro and Con are trying to argue.
Posted by Magic8000 3 years ago
Dawkins said he was an agnostic atheist. I think Hitchens did too. Not sure about Harris though.
Posted by gordonjames 3 years ago
I'm not sure what the question is that you wish to resolve by debate?

you say
"My Debate is whether it matters which way you choose or how you represent yourself,
it leads to a social conflict where being theist, atheist, agnostic, or anti-theist is picking sides in an ancient war!
So I guess I am anti-Human behavior, regardless of which side your on!"

I can't figure out the exact thrust of the debate, and if you are PRO or CON
Vote Placed by Magic8000 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: This isn't a debate and it's the fault of the instigator for not having a clear resolution. So conduct goes to Pro.