McMuddles
THEBOMB

Atheism is FAIL.

THEBOMB

McMuddles

Pro

Ridley Scott recently stated a sentiment I have found most Atheists in agreement with.
It was along the lines of ..."It's an arrogance to believe that we're the only ones here."
Well I find it an arrogance to discount a supreme being, namely, God.
Has anyone actually considered the intricacies of their garden?
The very fact that it exists should astound even the most dense fellow.
Anyone remember the Egyptologists trying in vain to decipher ancient runes and inscriptions in the 1800's, only to be declared wrong a century later?
That's what modern science and mathematics reminds me of.
Some kid with brain damage trying to decode the divine.
We can understand a lot of things, but to think we can understand everything is the ultimate arrogance.
THEBOMB

Con

Definitions

Atheism: The theory or belief that god(s) do not exist.

Fail:

Verb:

Be unsuccessful in achieving one's goal: "he failed in his attempt to secure election".

Noun:

A grade that is not high enough to pass an examination or test.

A belief that god(s) do not exist cannot be a verb nor is it a grade which is not high enough to pass an exam. Atheism cannot be fail. Thus, atheism is not fail.

It's a debate with 750 characters...what am I supposed to do :P
McMuddles

Pro

Aside from being a grammar troll, how is Atheism not a failed idea when the very people who support Atheism admit that it is arrogant to think they know everything?
According to the Bible, Satan was cast out of the Heavens to the Earth.
God resides in Heaven, that would make both of them 'aliens' according to the definition of the word.
Yet I see Atheists and people who believe in evolution toss aside the possibility of a Creator, while embracing the idea of life beyond Earth.
This doesn't seem hypocritical?
Atheism is fail.
But, when lacking an argument or counter, attack grammar.(amg I started a sentence with 'but')
THEBOMB

Con

My opponent has not refuted my argument, semantics or not.

My opponent's argument is incoherent. They rely entirely on unsubstantiated claims and provide no reason for the voter to believe these claims. My opponent has provided no proof that atheism is a failed idea, Atheism is the belief that no god exists. Science fulfills the purpose, to provide an explanation for the cosmos, quite well in the minds of atheists. An atheist would probably counter saying THEISM "is a fail." Honestly, my opponent provides much bluster and not much of an argument. Why does it matter if an atheist believes in life after death? All atheists deny is god, not an afterlife. Is Buddhism a failed idea? How about Confucianism? Why should we believe PRO exactly?
McMuddles

Pro

McMuddles forfeited this round.
THEBOMB

Con

Tsk, tsk, tsk, a forfeit :(

To sum up, my opponents case is sketchy, at best, they make many unsupported allegations and many of their arguments do not even argue that not supporting the existence of a deity is a failed idea. So really, I don't even know how much more I can say on this...
Posted by bennourse 5 years ago
bennourse
Sorry I was talking to the Pro debater on this debate. And I wasn't calling anyone a "ho", I used an expression from England "but hey ho" as one phrase! haha.
Posted by RD5 5 years ago
RD5
Cool debate topic/idea. I recently saw prometheus, am an atheist, so this got my interest. 750words is quite a challenge though.
It's always cool to see what happens when you turn an argument or a statement around;
"It's an arrogance to believe that we're the only ones here.
Well I find it an arrogance to discount a supreme being, namely, God."

Instead of going for the obvious bad grammar (on which the debate would be lost by Pro), it would probably be more interesting to question if Pro would find it arrogant that an atheist would also discount the existence of unicorns, fairies, magic, or a teapot in orbit around the sun.

The reason of course is evidence in order to be able to prove what is true. When saying god exists, the burden of proof for that statement lies with the person stating it.
Have a look at this helpful page if you (both, pro&con) will: http://www.nizkor.org...

Im very interested in how the debate will continue, good luck both!
Be careful to not get condescending while debating.
Posted by THEBOMB 5 years ago
THEBOMB
SpecialAgentDaleCooper, would you like to debate the merits of theism? You obviously have opinions, put them to the test.
Posted by THEBOMB 5 years ago
THEBOMB
Who said I am arguing that?

It's really bad form to give one of the debaters arguments, SpecialAgentDaleCooper.
Posted by SpecialAgentDaleCooper 5 years ago
SpecialAgentDaleCooper
McMuddles comment on how "intricate and beautiful" a garden is is one of the worst arguments for theism. The same god which created your butterflies and flowers also created parasites and natural disasters (according to your logic). It's easy to look at the nice things and discard all the nastiness in the world.
Posted by THEBOMB 5 years ago
THEBOMB
ashes2ashes, would you like to debate the merits of theism?
Posted by ashes2ashes 5 years ago
ashes2ashes
Who are you talking to ben and who are you calling a ho?
Posted by bennourse 5 years ago
bennourse
Counter an argument, cite sources and make your own argument. To make a detailed one takes more than 750, but hey ho, interesting to see how this debate works out!
Posted by ashes2ashes 5 years ago
ashes2ashes
The idea that mankind was created by extra terrestrials is the only idea that makes any sence!.
Posted by ashes2ashes 5 years ago
ashes2ashes
In every cultrue there is a similar story. Like I said how can you be educated and believe in this fairytail nonsence.
Vote Placed by K.GKevinGeary 5 years ago
K.GKevinGeary
McMuddlesTHEBOMBTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff=conduct.
Vote Placed by Microsuck 5 years ago
Microsuck
McMuddlesTHEBOMBTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit. Pro also had terrible comduct amd grammar. Con successfully refuted pro's arguments