MasterDebater123
parmleys04

Atheism is NOT Responsible for Communism

MasterDebater123

Pro

Hello, this is my first attempt at a debate here and I'd like to say hi to everyone. I hope everyone can forgive me while I get used to the proper etiquette and format of this site.

I would like to assert that atheism is not responsible for the horrible atrocities committed by the communist leaders Stalin, Lenin, and others, despite what is often claimed to the contrary.

Anyone can respond, and I will attempt to counter their rebuttal.

parmleys04

Con

parmleys04 forfeited this round.
MasterDebater123

Pro

For some reason my opponent was unable to answer for the first round. I will await their rebuttal to my claim that atheism is not a cause in any way of communism, in round two.
parmleys04

Con

parmleys04 forfeited this round.
MasterDebater123

Pro

MasterDebater123 forfeited this round.
parmleys04

Con

parmleys04 forfeited this round.
MasterDebater123

Pro

MasterDebater123 forfeited this round.
parmleys04

Con

parmleys04 forfeited this round.
Posted by Rezzealaux 8 years ago
Rezzealaux
"Communism relies on the false premise that humanity is an undifferentiated mass, with no individuals involved."

Because all humans are created inequal.
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 8 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
"The title of this debate seems to imply that communism is necessarily and always a bad thing, which seems to be the consensus of opinion in the US, though not in Europe."

Communism relies on the false premise that humanity is an undifferentiated mass, with no individuals involved. The consequence of this is that it has no regard for actual human life, preferring instead to act in a manner that would promote the life of it's mythic being, which, unfortunately, by mass expropriation, leads to making the maintenance of actual human life a very difficult proposition indeed.

"
Until recently, every time I filled out a US visa form I was asked if I was, or had ever been, a member of the communist party. So what if I had? I thought America was the land of the free, where people were allowed to hold whatever political or religious beliefs they liked, provided they acted in accordance with the law.
"
The problem with this notion is that it ignores the nature of the Communist Party, which is understood to be the Soviet Communist Party and any other Communist Parties which took orders from or otherwise actively cooperated with it. This Party was, essentially, a criminal organization, committed to the violent overthrow of the United States Government, having taken several actions toward that, notably espionage. It does not, so to speak, act in accordance with the law. Whether you hold the same beliefs as the Communist Party is not relevant to this question, whether you are a member of some other Communist Party, one which never acted outside the law, is also not relevant, it is not important whether you are a "small c" communist, what is important for this question is whether you were a member of that specific criminal organization.
Posted by MasterDebater123 8 years ago
MasterDebater123
I don't think communism is a bad thing as long as it doesn't spiral out of control like it did in the soviet union and it became totalitarian - which was actually a distortion of Marx's ideas by the way.

I'm simply arguing that atheism was not responsible for the atrocities that did occur.
Posted by brian_eggleston 8 years ago
brian_eggleston
The title of this debate seems to imply that communism is necessarily and always a bad thing, which seems to be the consensus of opinion in the US, though not in Europe.

Anyway, the question seems to have gone now but you still get asked the following:

"Do you seek to enter the United States to engage in export control violations, subversive or terrorist activities, or any other unlawful purpose? Are you a member or representative of a terrorist organization as currently designated by the U.S. Secretary of State? Have you ever participated in persecutions directed by the Nazi government of Germany; or have you ever participated in genocide?"

I wonder if anyone has ever ticked the "yes" box?!
Posted by parmleys04 8 years ago
parmleys04
And to you sir. FYI this is my first debate to.
Posted by MasterDebater123 8 years ago
MasterDebater123
Alright, have a good day and I'll see you later. Good luck.
Posted by parmleys04 8 years ago
parmleys04
Fair enough, provided we have the understanding I need only show that Atheism was partially responsible.

I'm at the office right now, so I probably won't have time to compose my opening argument till sometime this evening.
Posted by MasterDebater123 8 years ago
MasterDebater123
I see what you're saying, but my whole premise is to show that atheism had nothing to do with it, so it would be your side to argue that it did, even partially, as you say. I don't see the point in changing it because it still reflects what I wanted to argue.
Posted by parmleys04 8 years ago
parmleys04
I'd be willing to provided you change the title of the debate and insert a word such as "partially" or "to a degree", something like that.
Posted by MasterDebater123 8 years ago
MasterDebater123
Hi parmleys04

I'll be happy to accept a debate. I just tried to send you a message but your messages are blocked. I guess if you'd like to begin, we can start whenever you would like.