IridArch
JanariPa

Atheism is a religion.

IridArch

Con

I'll be arguing as an agnostic-atheist about this topic and I'm a former Christian.
This is also my first debate on this website so I hope it'll be good.

The pro will have to prove to me atheism is a religion.
JanariPa

Pro

Good day!

I accept your debate and I would like to define atheism and religion as following:
Religion - a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith.
Atheism - the view that rejects the existence of God or the gods, that there is no afterlife, and that the material universe is all that is real, if it can be proven by experiment it"s fact.

Can't wait for your arguments!
IridArch

Con

IridArch forfeited this round.
JanariPa

Pro

JanariPa forfeited this round.
IridArch

Con

IridArch forfeited this round.
JanariPa

Pro

JanariPa forfeited this round.
IridArch

Con

IridArch forfeited this round.
JanariPa

Pro

JanariPa forfeited this round.
IridArch

Con

IridArch forfeited this round.
JanariPa

Pro

JanariPa forfeited this round.
Posted by cbcullen84 2 years ago
cbcullen84
Atheism
a : a disbelief in the existence of deity
b : the doctrine that there is no deity

Religion:
a : the belief in a god or in a group of gods
b : an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary

By definition, Atheist cannot believe in religion and therefor Atheism is not a religion, it is many things including the lack of a religion.
Posted by cbcullen84 2 years ago
cbcullen84
Atheism
b : the doctrine that there is no deity

Religion:
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary

Posted by Be_a_BOXER 2 years ago
Be_a_BOXER
(Disclaimer: I don't hate atheist, even though I am christan, this is all from my point of view and is based on a non-professional's oppinon.)
I think that atheism in not a religion. But I Do think it should be treated as one. One problem that I see in the potential future is that atheist will begin oppressing religious people. I believe we can keep peace if the government considers making atheism more of a religion.
Posted by Anne1954 2 years ago
Anne1954
Okay ... Well ... Do we all need labels ? I had a girl come to my door one day - Jehovah's Witness (Thank You Google Search Bar for the spelling). When I met my neighbor in 1998 (at a friend's place) he was literally pounding the Religion thing into me non-stop. Other people have done that too. Different people told me that I had to be something - I had to make a decision ... No ... "?" ...

Okay ... back to the girl that came to my door ... I had an honest question so I thought I would ask it. I got my Garfield/Morris mix cat and held him up in my arms. I asked her what he had to believe in to be what he is ? She said to me "I don't know" without any problem. I told her - "Well - whatever he believes in - I do too."

A month or two later there were two more Jehovah's Witness that came by here and I was just coming in to my place. I asked them the same question - why not ? The lady got quite irate and she put her arm out and pointed her finger saying "I heard about you !". Okay - no problem. They didn't bother knocking on my door.

I don't have any religious beliefs - it's just not something that I am interested in. I never bought into any of that as a kid either - just never took to it. No biggie.

I'm okay with whatever my cat believed in. He died in 2009 - he never did tell me. He was just a special little critter that sure touched a lot of hearts. He was the most precious gift that I ever had in my life though - over 19 incredible years together.

I do feel out of sorts when I check into Motels or Hotels, etc. and they have a Bible in the drawer. I usually take it out and take it to the front desk for the duration of my stay. They don't seem to have a major problem with that either.

This is all that I have to go on ... This is just the way my life is and I'm okay without having a "Label" regarding Religion. I believe in "Dog's" too ...