Uhuhu
Raventon

Atheism is a sad approach to life

Raventon has forfeited round #2.

Uhuhu

Pro

The existence of the Lord has been debated for all times, and is not something I consider worthy of discussion. I know what I believe and I accept everyone else believing whatever they want. However, I am interested in the debate about life fulfilment, and if a life can be complete and happy without a relationship to the Lord.

This question is the foundation of a group of other subjects; such as the duty of missionary work and our call to spread happiness to others who is yet to get to know the spirit.

How can a life without any answers be a happy life? How can a life that starts and ends with our presence on earth be a meaningful one? How can decisions be easy and right without a moral to guide you? And how can there be comfort in expecting nothing else but decomposition and nothingness after this life is over?

I would be happy if my opponent consider him/herself an atheist. I am not interested in debating this to prove a point or win. I want to share my view on happiness and how to achieve it, and I want to hear the other point of view and learn from it.

I am pro in this debate: Meaning that I do not believe there can be true happiness without serving the Lord.

My opponent will be con: Meaning that he/she does believe there can be true happiness without serving the Lord.

Sorry for bad English.

Good luck.
Raventon

Con

This is actually an outstanding subject, and I am happy to discuss it.

One thing that is very hard about this specific issue however, is to make empirical arguments using empirical sources. Who is really to say who is unhappy " and who is to say why? I do not want to make this too personal, and I do not want to diminish anyone"s spiritual experiences.

With that said " I am an atheist " Atheist (noun) "a person who does not believe in the existence of a god or any gods : one who subscribes to or advocates atheism" (1).

As I understand it, this debate is about happiness without religious beliefs (no matter what religion those beliefs might belong to), but I still want to point out that the non-believing and "doubts about the god formula" can be found anywhere. For example, I doubt my opponent (or anyone else) believes in Thor or Poseidon as spiritual authorities. It"s important to keep in mind that denying the existence of a god is not strictly an atheist business.

Once again, thank you Uhuhu for bringing this question for discussion and thank you for letting me participate. I understand that this subject is personal and maybe sensitive, so it"s truly wonderful to get to debate it and I hope we will do so respectfully " the last thing I want is anyone to feel uncomfortable.

(1). https://www.merriam-webster.com...
Uhuhu

Pro

Thank you for answering the same day. And do not worry, Sir. I am a LDS who has served a mission abroad and I am very hard to offend.

I will now present the four main questions I made in the opening statements, explaining my view on each of them.

"How can a life without any answers be a happy life?"
Human beings are thinking, creative creatures. We are blessed with brains and thoughts and most importantly: with questions. The Lord asks us to seek answers, and when we do, we are rewarded with knowledge. This relationship, with a worshipper asking for answer and the Lord providing the truth is to me the core in all beliefs. This is how we educate ourselves and this is how we develop.

In the atheist approach, there is no equal tradition. Truth is rather invented than searched for. Absolute truth can't be found through scientific experiments, so holding a statement as absolute truth would actually be a leap of faith; something that atheists so strongly condemn.

"How can life that starts and ends with our presence on earth be a meaningful one?"
One of the most asked questions asked by humans is of course: why are we here? What is my purpose? Finding that purpose, and serving it, is in my opinion the deepest and most defined level of self-development. Life started long before we came to earth, and will continue long after we leave. And to steal that realization from people, by claiming atheism, is unfair and does not give them the tools needed to reach fulfilment in life.

There is a point of us not realizing our purpose by the day we are born. We are all supposed to make that intellectual journey, finding the spirit and make the right choices. If you claim to atheism all your life, denying the spirit until the day you die, you will have wasted a lifelong opportunity to learn and develop. This does not in any way mean that you are a bad person or by default make the wrong choices, but you've limited yourself by your doubt and fears, and you will never realize your full potential.

In the atheist approach, life has no goal or purpose. You spend your entire life waiting for a death that will be final and permanent. I ask my opponent, what's the point of that?

"How can decisions be easy and right without a moral to guide you?"
By studying the scripture, I am prepared for whatever life might throw at me. My moral is founded in my beliefs and in my faith. Choosing between right and wrong is not something that is debated inside of me. I make sure to follow my scripture and I know that will get me rewarded.

If not to follow scripture and the moral given to us from the Lord we can no longer define the source of those morals. Not only is that confusing from an ethical perspective and forces us to make decisions we can not fully understand the consequences of, it also means we might be influenced by powers that are not good. If we take a step away from the teachings handed to us, we open our will and thoughts to morals from the outside. Who verifies those morals?

"How can there be comfort in expecting nothing else but decomposition and nothingness after this life is over?"
Losing a loved one is hard. For everyone. It doesnt matter what you believe in. But to sit down in all of that grief and think about bodies decomposing in earth, and no single trace left of that loved human, isnt that just cruel? What do you say to a child that has lost a close relative? How do you explain it? By pointing at the ground?

Many people, no matter religion, find comfort in knowing our loved ones look down on us from above. They live on. They have simply just moved on from life on earth, to a place of rewards and happiness. When thinking about this, death is not scary. I know that my ancestors are safe and in harmony, and that we will all be together one day. If to believe in any other way, how can you possibly be happy?
Posted by byaka2013 9 months ago
byaka2013
@SpicyChicken-

"The atheist community is taking severe social hits from religious people and persecution for what they believe. "
Atheism- disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.
Lack of a belief is not belief in the opposite. If atheism was a belief system, not collecting stamps would be a hobby.
Posted by SpicyChicken 9 months ago
SpicyChicken
The atheist community is taking severe social hits from religious people and persecution for what they believe. Saying that atheism is a sad approach to life is like saying if you do not like the taste of milk, you are a sad person with no morals and no life. How could you say that atheists are sad? Do you know what it is like? Don't automatically assume things like just because of what religion they believe or the belief of lack in religion that they are dumb, sad, and their lives are not worth it.
Posted by missmedic 9 months ago
missmedic
Beliefs and faiths do not establish "truths" or facts. It does not matter how many people believe or for how many centuries they have believed it. It does not matter how reverent or important people think of them, if it does not agree with evidence, then it simply cannot have any validity to the outside world. All things we know about the world, we can express without referring to a belief. Even at its most benign level, beliefs can act as barriers to further understanding.
If you have awareness of abstracting, you can then begin to replace believing with thinking. Knowledge, observation, rational thinking, curiosity, and skepticism trump beliefs every time.
Between ignorance and knowledge you have the uncertainties about the world, and the best way to handle uncertainties involves thinking in terms of probabilities. So what use does belief have?