hannsbanans123
Silentsvc

Atheism is good (I'm bad with titles)

hannsbanans123

Pro

How can God be real? Sure there's a white old guy in the clouds that made a universe! Makes perfect sense, not. I'm not saying that it's wrong to believe in him, I just don't get it! Why can't I make stuff appear out of nothing? What created God? I know that the Bible said that he was always there or that he made himself (I think). But both of them are impossible! A man can't create him self if he did exist before he created himself, and it is impossible for some thing to just be there fore ever and ever.

I know that the Big Bang theory sounds a little wacky. You might be saying: " But you said something can't just magically appear!". Actually there are there is a theory that the universe was tiny and small in form but all of the universe was still there. And everyone knows that if there is something so compact, it's bound to expand. So that's what it did, expand. Thus the Big Bang theory was born.

I'm sorry if I have insulted you and if I got any facts wrong, but what do you think about Christianity and Atheism?
Silentsvc

Con

The questions you have posed are interesting and very legitimate questions, that everyone should be asking, even those who claim Christianity. I would like to point out some fatal flaws in your argument and I encourage you to continue to research and solidify your positions based on evidence. In your first statement you are making the assumption that God is a human being, or something created at best. Christian doctrine does not teach this. In Christian doctrine, "God is infinite, meaning having no beginning and no end."(Christian Theology, Ryrie, pg 18) This means that God cannot be a human or a created being. The basic answer of who created God is "nothing" because if God is infinite, this means He can have no beginning. God is also not male or female and carries no racial features that we as humanity have. It is not impossible that an infinite being has no beginning, it is simple mathematics.
In order for God to be infinite in power, he would have to be able to create "something from nothing" or as it is known in the theological community "ex nihlio". While it may be possible that the theory you describe is how the universe started, my question would be where did the tiny universe come from?

With that in mind I will answer your statement "Atheism is good." Words have more meaning than people know and even a three word phrase can have severe implications for humanity. On the outside this may seem like a harmless statement but it has implications. The first is that with no belief in God, comes good. But what is good? where do you get this definition? And if there is good this means there must be evil, or else we could not understand what good is in the first place. One could argue that humans as a community decide what is good and evil and this is viable, but the ramifications are horrid. This means that if 51% of humanity agrees that killing people because of their beliefs is acceptable, it is now good and right. This creates a Might makes Right mentality and the implications of this way of thinking are seen in places like North Korea and South Sudan, where a majority of people have decided that what they want is the only right. I argue that if 100% of people agree that killing because of belief is right, its still wrong. This means that right and wrong cannot be decided by man, but an infinite God. So the answer to the question "is atheism good" in my opinion is no. This does not mean those who are atheists aren't good, this means that the concept of not having a God that decides right and wrong, where humans begin to make those calls is dangerous and leads to atrocity.

I pass the floor to my respected opponent
hannsbanans123

Pro

For starters, wazaaap? (my picture said that). And the title that I gave this debate is only a title, also I wasn't in a creative mood so that's what I came up with. But I don't think it was necessary to make an entire paragraph about "Atheism is good", Chill pill. Your last question is a good one and here is my answer: scientist don't know were it came from. But once times every summer I go to see my grandma and grandpa in Michigan, I am forced to go to church with them and when ever I see a picture of God, it looks like a guy to me but whatever.
I will like to say good point about the "something out of nothing" statement and I will say that the way that I put it in round one made it sound stupid. But before I go I wanna ask a question, you know what never mind. Here is the URL for a YouTube video, I know it's for atheist but it have some points. It's about Noah's Ark, and caution it has language for big boys. You don't have to watch it if you don't want to.

Once again I'm sorry if I insulted anyone and if the video insults anyone.
Silentsvc

Con

Waaazup to you as well! Don't worry about insulting me, I've been insulted by professionals! I saw the video and it brought up good points. Its always important to understand the other side of a debate. I actually like the title, it brings up excellent debate points. My only point in spelling that out was so that I answered the premise of the debate. And by all means, ask your question, you wont offend me, this is a debate and a flow of information. I am genuinely interested in your point of view, its what makes these debates fun to do
hannsbanans123

Pro

hannsbanans123 forfeited this round.
Silentsvc

Con

Silentsvc forfeited this round.
Posted by Holliekat 3 years ago
Holliekat
I'm an atheist and I find it disturbing that so many people can blindly follow something without one shred of evidence. There are millions of "gods" and so many religions, there is no way that anyone can claim to believe in "the one true God" It's impossible. I believe in facts and until someone can show me undeniable proof my stance will not change. Ps. The bible isn't proof of a god's existence.
Posted by Clarity 3 years ago
Clarity
You did not offend me, so let that be clear, as I am neither atheist nor holding the belief that you have something against atheists. The reason why I was tired of this kind of criticism(it is a criticism, that is not necessarily a bad thing)is because the people who claim atheists have no morals, or by their logic should have no morals, ignore the plethora of atheistic philosophies that are not inherently selfish.
Posted by Silentsvc 3 years ago
Silentsvc
@Clarity

It is not my intention to criticize, I as a Christian, respectfully disagree with Atheists, and Atheists disagree with me. I am simply stating my position, and I am eager to hear the atheist position as well. I find it interesting that what I say here is critical of atheists when this site is littered with criticism about faiths of all kinds. I have no issue with people being critical of Christianity, but dont expect me not to bring up points of contention I have with Atheism. I offended in my delivery I apologize but if your offended because we diisagree on a DEBATE website, then maybe debate is not for you.
Posted by Clarity 3 years ago
Clarity
I am tired of seeing people criticize Atheists as if they are all absolute moral nihilists and that philosophies like Secular Humanism do not exist.
Posted by hannsbanans123 3 years ago
hannsbanans123
I forgot to put the URL in.