jh1234l
Maedis

Atheism is irrational

jh1234l

jh1234l

Con

The BOP is on my opponent as I am in the con position. By accepting this challenge, you agree to the following rules:

1. Evolution is not a part of the debate, and thus arguments on this do not have to be refuted by the opponent, unless the reason it is relevent to this debate is given.

2. Experienced debaters are reccommended, forfeits are not full 7 point losses, but instead conduct mark losses.

3. Th1s is not appropriate debating FoRmat.

The first round will be the opening argument of my opponent, and my opponent (PRO) will have to post no arguments in the last round.

Maedis

Pro

I accept and look forward to our debate.
The Merriam Webster dictionary defines ‘irrational’ as the following:
A: not endowed with reason or understanding; lacking usual or normal mental clarity or coherence
B: not governed by or according to reason [1].
But atheism, the belief that a deity does not exist, is grounded in rationality for the following reasons:

Contention 1: There is no definitive proof that a god exists.

1. One of the most common arguments to establish the existence of God is Thomas Aquinas’ First Causer argument, in which he (essentially) states the following:
1. Every finite and contingent being has a cause.
2. A casual loop cannot exist.
3. A causal chain cannot be of infinite length.
4. Therefore, a First Cause (or something that is not an effect) must exist. [2]

But there is clear irrationality with the First Causer argument. First, there is a special exception made for the First Cause. If there is indeed a Causer, then what caused this Causer to exist? If there is an exception made for this First Causer to ‘cause itself,’ then can one not also make an exception for ‘a casual loop cannot exist?’

Contention 2: There is no burden of proof for Atheism; therefore, it stands for itself

Suppose that Atheism itself were objectively true. If this is the case, is it possible for someone to prove that something is not actually in existence? Of course not – the burden of proof lies on the person that makes a hypothesis and then proves it to be true.

This is demonstrable from the following analogy.

Person 1: There is an invisible pink unicorn in this room (obvious untruth).
Person 2: Really? How?
Person 1: It can speak to me.
Person 1: Science can explain that – there are multiple disorders that exist due to chemical imbalances in the brain.

For the invisible pink unicorn to be true, its existence must be clear and demonstrable through empirical testing. It is impossible for Person 2 in this analogy to prove that the unicorn isn’t there if there is no unicorn in the first place to test. If Person 1 cannot prove that there is a unicorn in the room, by default, there must be no unicorn. Therefore, if the religious cannot prove that god exists, by default, there must be no god.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Therefore, I affirm that atheism is in fact aligned with reason, since the belief of a deity is not grounded in rationality.

1. http://www.merriam-webster.com...
2. http://en.wikipedia.org...
jh1234l

Con

I would like to point out that my opponent is arguing for the Con side when he is in fact Pro. However, I willl not change the resolution or the BOP.

Contention 1

"1. One of the most common arguments to establish the existence of God is Thomas Aquinas" First Causer argument, in which he (essentially) states the following:
2. A casual loop cannot exist.
4. Therefore, a First Cause (or something that is not an effect) must exist."

However, a supreme being (e.g. God) is not finite because it has omniscience (infinite knowledge), omnipotence (unlimited power), omnipresence (present everywhere), omnibenevolence (perfect goodness), divine simplicity, and eternal and necessary existence. [1] Thus, this argument does not apply to a God or a deity that created the universe.

Contention 2

"Suppose that Atheism itself were objectively true. If this is the case, is it possible for someone to prove that something is not actually in existence? Of course not " the burden of proof lies on the person that makes a hypothesis and then proves it to be true."

However, this is not the BOP of the debate as my opponent has argued for the Con side when he is Pro, and thus this argument also does not apply.

"Therefore, I affirm that atheism is in fact aligned with reason, since the belief of a deity is not grounded in rationality."

My opponent has helped fulfill my BOP and therefore you should vote Con.

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org...
Maedis

Pro

I concede. All votes should go to Con. My bad for thinking I was con in this debate.
jh1234l

Con

Thanks to my opponent for taking time to write the last response and I also concede.
Maedis

Pro

Maedis forfeited this round.
jh1234l

Con

No argument as this debate is conceded.
Maedis

Pro

Maedis forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Muted 3 years ago
Muted
jh1234lMaedisTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff