republican1021
Koopin

Atheism is more of a religion than Christianity

republican1021

Pro

In my humble opinion, I observe atheism to be more of a 'religion' than Christianity.

Before I go any further, I will define what religion is. Religion is "a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects."

I, as a Christian, do not like the word 'religion'. Religion is man-made; and Christianity is not a religion, rather a relationship with Jesus Christ. The reason I say atheism is more of a religion than Christianity is that it takes more faith to believe there is no God than to believe the contrary. OVERWHELMING scientific evidence exists in the favor of God's existence.
Koopin

Con

Thank you for starting this interesting debate.

Since there are five rounds I will simply ask a few questions.

1. Do you believe everything in the bible to be true?

2. Do you wish me to debate this topic from a Christian's point of view?

3. Can you provide me with the overwhelming scientific evidence of God you speak of?

4. Can you specify which Christianity? (Some people believe that Mormonism is Christianity.)

I look forward to your response.
republican1021

Pro

1. I believe everything in the Bible is true; but some things aren't to be taken literally, rather, be a form of symbolism. I say this pertaining only to the proportion of the Bible that I have read.

2. You choose.

3. We'll save that for later.....

4. I define Christianity as an acknowledgement of the divinity and actions of Jesus Christ. Be it Protestant, Catholic, or what have you.
Koopin

Con

You have not answered my number 3 question. In a debate you can not claim something and not answer questions about it when asked.

In order to argue I need you to answer.

republican1021

Pro

There is much, much more, but here's a start.

The Fine-Tuning Argument:
1. The fine-tuning of the universe is due either to physical necessity, chance, or design.
2. It is not due to physical necessity or chance.
3. Therefore, it is due to design.

Here, premise 1 is a given. It simply provides you with the obvious options to choose from as a means of explaining the apparent ‘fine-tuning' of the universe. If we can confirm premise 2, then the conclusion will logically follow, and the ‘fine-tuning' of the universe is due to design, which requires an intelligent designer.
First, when the laws of nature are expressed as mathematical equations, they contain certain constants, such as the gravitational constant. The mathematical values of these constants are not determined by the laws of nature. Second, there are certain arbitrary quantities that are just part of the initial conditions of the universe—for example, the amount of entropy in the universe. These constants and quantities fall into an extraordinarily narrow range of life-permitting values. Were these constants and quantities to be altered by less than a hair's breadth, the life-permitting balance would be destroyed, and life would not exist.

This is not even the slightest of dents in the evidence...I can elaborate if need be. Remember that this is not an argument on God's existence, but a debate as stated in the OP
Koopin

Con

Thank you,

DEFINITIONS
===============
Atheist: Disbelief in the existence of a supreme being

Faith: confidence or trust

Christianity: Conformity to the Christian religion

ARGUMENT
===============

You contradict yourself.

First you claim that religion is a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects.

Then you say that Christianity is not a religion.

Since you provided the definition, I will debate using the definition.

There are a lot of different types of Atheist.

I would like to point out that Atheist are not all evolutionist.

Evolutionism in my opinion does take a huge amount of faith.

There is little evidence, but people still believe that it happens.

Atheism however is simpler.

They simply believe that there is no God.

It does not take that much faith for most people to think that.

Atheists think simple, I can not see God, I can not hear God, and I can not feel God, so there must not be a God.

To them that does not require a lot of faith.

Their theory of how we got here does in fact require the faith you speak of.

Now, the overwhelming scientific evidence you speak of does not prove the Christian God.

That could be Allah, Buddha, or Zeus.

Christians can look at the universe and say that there is a God, but that does not necessarily prove the existence of the God the Christians believe in.

No matter how hard we try, we can not outright prove to the world that the real Christian God exists.

We are born skeptical, it is in our nature. Christianity does in fact take a lot of faith.

In Proverbs 3:5 God says,
"Trust the LORD with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding"

Atheists do rely on their own understanding.

It is much easier to believe that there is no God than to believe that a man rose from the grave.

Don't you concur?

I will stop here for now.

I look forward to your next argument
republican1021

Pro

///You contradict yourself...First you claim that religion is a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects...Then you say that Christianity is not a religion.///

--You have misunderstood my point. Christianity is indeed NOT a religion, rather A RELATIONSHIP WITH CHRIST. The term 'religion' can be applied to the 'earthly' things of Christianity, like church buildings and so forth. Atheism, however, is indeed a religion in that it is a "specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects."
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
///There are a lot of different types of Atheist.///

--If you would, please elaborate on this statement.
///They simply believe that there is no God...It does not take that much faith for most people to think that.///

--I believe it takes an incredible amount of faith; but that argument just goes back to proving the existence of God.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
///Now, the overwhelming scientific evidence you speak of does not prove the Christian God...That could be Allah, Buddha, or Zeus.///

--Remember, this is only one single shred of the evidence and I realize what I provided only proves the existence of A God. Besides, Allah is (technically) the same Judeo-Christian God and Buddha is not a God but a philosopher.
///It is much easier to believe that there is no God than to believe that a man rose from the grave.///
--I beg to differ, I can prove the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, but again, that's another debate.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Koopin

Con

Thank you for posting.

You can not give a definition and then say it only applies to certain things.

Christianity is a specific fundamental set of beliefs generally agreed upon by a number of persons.

There is no denying it, according to your definition Christianity is a religion.

If you look up Christianity in the dictionary it says "Conformity to the Christian religion."

Concerning what I said about the different types of Atheist,

Some Atheist believe that evolution did not happen.

Some believe that we are not even here so no one created us.

Some believe that we just popped out of no where.

Some believe that we can never know what happen so we should not believe anything except that we are here.

You claim you can prove that Jesus rose from the dead, but then you fail to show how.

I could do the same by claiming I can prove that evolution is true, then not say anything.

You keep trying to avoid the matter by saying that it would go back to another debate.

You have the burden of proof of showing that Atheism is more of a religion.

(1). http://en.wikipedia.org...
(2). http://dictionary.reference.com...
(3). http://dictionary.reference.com...
republican1021

Pro

republican1021 forfeited this round.
Koopin

Con

My opponent has forfeited. All my arguments are extended.
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
DANGIT!
man..
Posted by Vi_Veri 7 years ago
Vi_Veri
Pro's account is no longer active.
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
Pro says that it is easier to believe tat God is real than Atheism. I am first proving that wrong. He has one more round to save himself.
Posted by DylanFromSC 7 years ago
DylanFromSC
"This debate seems to touch on everything but the topic."
This is true. Kinda waiting for the debate to START. But oh well. I'm sure the last round will be the best. In my opinion, the Con has an easy win here.
Posted by XimenBao 7 years ago
XimenBao
This debate seems to touch on everything but the topic.
Posted by Kinesis 7 years ago
Kinesis
'... Sorry for displeasing you oh great one'

Whoa. I wrote that a 1 O'clock last night. Sorry for being so mean, Koopin. I know flipping out isn't going to persuade anyone :)
Posted by SexyLatina 7 years ago
SexyLatina
I'm actually being much less judgmental than I sound. When I say "I don't know what to say" I don't mean "I am at a loss for words due to this horror", I mean "I'm out of words because I'm tired and don't really want to be typing anyway".
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
... Sorry for displeasing you oh great one.
Posted by SexyLatina 7 years ago
SexyLatina
See, now, this debate is ONE turn that Platonism has taken, but I don't think that it's the most beneficial turn. This debate is severely lacking in mirth. Pro is too earnest. People don't laugh at themselves enough. Too much pride!

Atheism is not a religion.
Christianity is a religion.

I find it bizarre that Pro does not want to call Christianity a religion? To justify this distaste for religion (which he very oddly exempts Christianity from), he invents that religion is man-made. Naturally, people didn't always believe this. Does anyone have any reason why suddenly religion is a nasty word? Is the social pressure finally taking its toll, or is it something within the Christian church itself? Or is it simply an effect of the... post-post-modernist worldview?

Anyways, Pro's definition of a religion is "a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects." Christianity is clearly that, atheism is clearly not that.

There is also a difference between faith and strength of conviction. Faith is what Christianity has: Belief in something which could, in a certain light, be seen as ridiculous. Atheists have a strength of conviction that God is not necessary for a happy life.

I don't know what to say about this debate. It's not funny and it's not impressive. Maybe it would be funnier if it were earlier in the evening, and maybe it would be more impressive if I hadn't dealt with all of these questions as a 13-year-old. This is an archaic debate; one would have hoped that we could have moved past all of this. I don't know what to say. I'm disappointed. Times like this make me regret the Internet which has made all of this possible.
Posted by Kinesis 7 years ago
Kinesis
'I would like to point out that Atheist are not all evolutionist.
There is little evidence, but people still believe that it happens'

Sweet love of...start here- http://www.talkorigins.org... , at least get some education in some kind of relevant field before you dismiss the professional opinion of 99% of the biological community, read 'why evolution is true' by Jerry Coyne, and THEN deny the massive body of evidence from all the independent fields of scientific study in support of evolution.

And perhaps republican1021 can explain why the majority of physicists are atheists, including some of the most brilliant minds on earth i.e. Stephen Hawking, if there is such incredible scientific evidence of a divine creator.
Vote Placed by dankeyes11 7 years ago
dankeyes11
republican1021KoopinTied
Vote Placed by DylanFromSC 7 years ago
DylanFromSC
republican1021KoopinTied
Vote Placed by pbplk58 7 years ago
pbplk58
republican1021KoopinTied
Vote Placed by XimenBao 7 years ago
XimenBao
republican1021KoopinTied
Vote Placed by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
republican1021KoopinTied