PeacefulLibertarian
BEASTxKNIGHTx12

Atheism is not a Religion

PeacefulLibertarian

Pro

I propose that atheism is not a religion, as the title states. It is most often accused of being a religion by religious people who have no context of what being godless is.
BEASTxKNIGHTx12

Con

Well you actually have to think about it. Atheism is technically a religion do to the fact they make science seem like the answer to everything. Which adds on to make it act as a religion.
PeacefulLibertarian

Pro

Thank you for accepting this. I'm looking forward to a peaceful debate. Let's get started!
Well, let's first define religion. Religion is the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. Firstly, science is not a god, nor is it superhuman. Science will never answer everything, therefore we cannot justifiably call it a religion.
Calling Atheism a religion is like calling abstinence a sex position, or a TV in the 'off' position a channel. Atheism is the lack of a god or a supernatural being, which is what the definition implies.
BEASTxKNIGHTx12

Con

Well can I ask you a question do you 'BELIEVE' in atheism?
PeacefulLibertarian

Pro

No. I do not "believe" in atheism. I don't "believe" in anything. I understand and know things. Atheism is just a word to explain that the person rejects all forms of theism. I hate the word atheism because it's an ism. I am just godless.
Things that aren't religions under this definition include mathematics, boat building, the culinary arts, square dancing, and virtually all of the other things we normally don"t consider religions.
They don"t have a position on the existence of the divine or the afterlife, so they"re not religions.
Of particular note, belief in evolution is not a religion"despite the claims of some Creationists.
One can believe in the existence of evolution without taking a position on the divine or the afterlife.
On the other hand, belief in evolution can take on a religious dimension if, e.g., it is proposed as a reason to either reject or accept belief in the divine or the afterlife.
But then that"s true of anything that is proposed as a reason to reject or accept belief in the divine or the afterlife.
BEASTxKNIGHTx12

Con

To have faith in something is basically saying you have faith in a religion, and when you have faith for what you BELIEVE in it is then declaring it a religion. Another definition about religion is: a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects. Atheists usually have a set of beliefs including the theory of Evolution, the Big Bang theory, etc. If this definition is correct (which it is) then Atheism should be considered a kind of religion. They have a set of common beliefs just like any religion.