forexhowser
Sarra

Atheism is the belief that there is no god

Sarra

forexhowser

Pro

Recent changes to the definition of atheism states that it is a lack of belief towards god/gods, and that this definition of an atheist does not have to prove anything because they neither accept nor deny the notions that god exists or god does not exist.

I am defending the traditional definition of atheism which states that it is a belief that god does not exist, and that the notion of suspending judgement fits the term agnostic rather than atheist.

For the purposes of this discussion the word God refers to the monotheistic god traditionally held by the abrahamic religions together with its often cited properties (omnipresent, all-knowing, just, etc.)

Thank you and good luck.
Sarra

Con

I accept. 5 rounds is probably 2-3 rounds too many.

Atheists do not attribute the term atheist to themselves. Atheist / atheism is a descriptive term that other people attribute to atheists.

Please describe how tribal people in New Guinea have a belief in a God with which to refute when they have no conception of a God (they believe in traditional animism).
forexhowser

Pro

forexhowser forfeited this round.
Sarra

Con

(posting this to speed up the debate)
forexhowser

Pro

forexhowser forfeited this round.
Sarra

Con

Pro forfeited. Vote Con.
forexhowser

Pro

forexhowser forfeited this round.
Sarra

Con

(posting this to speed up the debate)
forexhowser

Pro

forexhowser forfeited this round.
Sarra

Con

Pro forfeited. Vote Con.
Posted by Sarra 2 years ago
Sarra
@tej My intention was that atheists who have never conceived of the idea of a god do not ponder about a label they can describe themselves in reference/difference to others who have a conception of a god. Without being told of a god and then labeled as one without a god, do they consider the possibility of there being a god with which to not believe. In short, atheism is a label to give others; not a self-derived term.

I apologize for being unclear in the debate.
Posted by tejretics 2 years ago
tejretics
"Atheists do not attribute the term atheist to themselves. Atheist / atheism is a descriptive term that other people attribute to atheists."

um...not so sure about this..
Posted by Sarra 2 years ago
Sarra
Sorry roguetech. You are correct.
Posted by roguetech 2 years ago
roguetech
"Atheist" being not a personal noun shouldn't be capitalized.
Posted by PTW 2 years ago
PTW
You religious types can call me what you like!. All I know is that there's no god of any description at all, and I regard my self as an Atheist!!. Unless of course you can prove without a doubt that a god of any faith at all exists!, but I won't be holding my breath!!!.
Posted by Blazzered 2 years ago
Blazzered
Many theists seem to keep trying to put atheists on the spot by saying that they are all making the claim that God doesn't exists.
What if you do not make the claim that God exists, and are also not making the claim that God doesn't exist? You call that agnostic, am I correct?
Agnostic is a form of atheism. Thus being an atheist doesn't always mean you are making the claim, or have the belief that there is no God.
Posted by Nivek 2 years ago
Nivek
missmedic,

A friend of mine usually doesn't give a sh!t and he labels himself as apatheist. You can self label and define it to your liking, it's not necessary to fulfill social standards.
Posted by Sarra 2 years ago
Sarra
@roguetech "without a god-concept, "atheist" is meaningless."
We agree.
Posted by roguetech 2 years ago
roguetech
Thanks for the clarification. I still disagree with the wording, but... without a god-concept, "atheist" is meaningless.
Posted by Sarra 2 years ago
Sarra
However, roguetech, you are correct that I was unclear when I wrote:
"Atheists do not attribute the term atheist to themselves."
My intention was that atheists who have never conceived of the idea of a god do not ponder about a label they can describe themselves in reference/difference to others who have a conception of a god. Without being told of a god and then labeled as one without a god, do they consider the possibility of there being a god with which to not believe. In short, atheism is a label to give others; not a self-derived term.
Vote Placed by Balacafa 2 years ago
Balacafa
forexhowserSarraTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 2 years ago
Midnight1131
forexhowserSarraTied