Cadle_the_athiest
Actions_Speak

Atheism should be taught in school

Cadle_the_athiest has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

Cadle_the_athiest

Pro

Should Atheism be taught in schools? I think so because there isn't any evidence for god and there is a lot of evidence to support atheism so we should be taught the truth
Actions_Speak

Con

Hello, thanks for the debate and may we both learn. Will begin opening arguments in second round to be fair.
Cadle_the_athiest

Pro

Okay, let me start with, God is intentionally left out of the constitution so you should learn about something with more evidence like how you can make the same case about anything such as "There is a leprechaun in my shoes, the shoes are there so they HAVE to be there" or "I have a magical unicorn that can't be documented in any way shape or form, so you can't disprove me!" Enough said.
Actions_Speak

Con

You seem to be on the defensive, but I have no intention to attack you personally or your system of beliefs. On the contrary, I am a fellow atheist but I strongly believe in separation and the teaching of atheism in schools violates that. Furthermore I understand the necessity of sparing religions the label of mythology. Atheist mega churches are sound like a work contradiction but they have become a reality and have found great success and have raised money "that will help atheists launch their pop-up congregations around the world."[1]

In my youth I had thought that all religions should be taught in schools as mythology, and perhaps they still should in the future but from personal experience I've found they are a necessity to some. Perhaps this isn't the best example as his life didn't turn around while in school, but school may have closed the door if he was taught his religion is a mythology. My brother fell into a very nihilistic life, in which he would deal and sell drugs. I know that atheism offers very little if any community support where as he can turn to our local baptist church. It is very easy to see how religion has lead to bloodshed across the world for millennia. However, in this day and age in my community the worst thing that occurs is... babysitting? They offer socialization which according to any sociology student has been proven to lower suicide in individuals. [2]

Without this window of support I am certain that my brother would be dead or still addicted to opiates. As atheism and a nihilistic lifestyle go hand in hand, which by definition is prone to causing self-harm by removing one's self-value.

Nihilism: a viewpoint that traditional values and beliefs are unfounded and that existence is senseless and useless[3]

I do however believe that google's definition is a bit less harsh and more accurate although it won't help me prove my point, nevertheless I will show the definition for the sake of fairness and showing what I believe to be true.

Nihilism(from google): the rejection of all religious and moral principles, often in the belief that life is meaningless.

From using the very definitions alongside common sense sprinkled with person experience I do believe religion has value to some in my community.
Although that isn't the point of this debate so back to separation of church and state, we are all aware that according to the constitution "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". While separation of church and state isn't exactly mentioned, it is strongly implied and I understand from your argument we agree on this viewpoint.

[1] https://www.usatoday.com...
[2] http://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.in...
[3] https://www.merriam-webster.com...
Posted by WOLF.J 3 weeks ago
WOLF.J
kids love Christmas, businesses commercialise Christmas. The system wants you to spend so i doubt schools will discuss atheism