Atheism vs Anything

Round 1 makes his/her first arguments and accepts the rules I laid out.
Round 2 Clash.
Round 3 Clash and Con's closing thoughts.

Atheism- disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.
God - a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.

I accept. Although you posted Atheism vs Anything,. You didn't specify exactly what we were debating. I will be arguing from a viewpoint of Deism.

Deism - the acknowledgment of the existence of a god upon the testimony of reason and of nature and its laws, and the rejection of the possibility of supernatural intervention in human affairs and of special revelation.

Your definition of God also encompasses deity, I will then define my use accordingly.

Deity - divine status, quality, or nature.

if atheism is the assertion that there is no God, the question must mean "Does God exist?"

Why does the Universe need to have an origin? If you say "everything must have a beginning", then God cannot exist, because God is eternal (i. e., no beginning).

Then if the topic is Does God exist, with the criteria set per definition and in place with my stance on deism.

My argument is as follows:

1: Things move from potentiality to actuality.

2: Only an actual motion can convert a potential motion into an actual motion.

3: Nothing can be at once in both actuality and potentiality in the same respect (i.e., if both actual and potential, it is actual in one respect and potential in another).

4: Therefore nothing can move itself.

5: Therefore each thing in motion is moved by something else.

6: The sequence of motion cannot extend ad infinitum.

Therefore, it is necessary to arrive at a first mover.

By your definition of "God" indicating deity and my usage of deity meaning nature. Than I assert that the term "God" means Universe. Therefore, the first mover is the Universe, which uses dark energy and matter to create finite planets and galaxies.

My opponent questioned ""Does God exist?" and "Why does the Universe need to have an origin? If you say "everything must have a beginning", then God cannot exist, because God is eternal (i. e., no beginning)"

To both of which using the definitions agree upon at the start I have answered in a logical format with no fallacies or rebuttal.
Thanks for the debate! Happy Holidays!
Vote Placed by Romanii 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con gave an actual argument, while Pro just gave a couple of sentences before forfeiting. It was a no-brainer. Con wins.